Non-motoring > glass maps Miscellaneous
Thread Author: apm Replies: 5

glass maps - apm
Hi all, I have some interesting items and I thought that the fountain of knowledge here might offer some illumination.

Basically, my grandfather worked some years ago for the Ordinance Survey. When he sadly passed in 2008, part of his estate included some large sheets of coloured glass (3.5ft x 3ft approx) on which are etched English county outlines, with perhaps ward boundaries marked within & some text. They are rather attractive actually, if you like that sort of thing. I assume they must be linked to my GF's time at the OS, but wondered if any knowledgeable peeps might know more about why they were made and what they were used for?

Many thanks in advance,

Alex.
 glass maps - Zero
Well I can only assume they were for some form of photgraphic printing, or to display on an overhead projector.,

Can the overhead thing, not at over three foot square.
 glass maps - Armel Coussine
County boundaries usable for changing boundaries of parishes, local authorities and so on as successive governments monkey around with them for gerrymandering purposes? Or for drawing in roads, then relief, etc. in stages before reducing them?

glass maps - Fenlander
Section of the Ordnance Survey history timeline...

>>>1956 Scribing on glass introduced

I understand these were some sort of master template and glass was used so the dimensions were stable. Sometime around the 1970s plastic was used to replace the glass.

Your maps sound like part completed examples... perhaps why he had them??
 glass maps - apm
Thanks all for your helpful responses. It seems likely then that these were the original templates, and perhaps were discarded and given to my GF when the boundaries changed/ plastic was introduced.

Alex.
 glass maps - Bellboy
would love to see a picture?
Latest Forum Posts