Non-motoring > Neigbourhood Watch Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 12

Neigbourhood Watch - Ambo
We have new neighbours. They are fine but their neighbours on the other side told a third nearby party that they were very disappointed with them (I don't know in what respect). The house next to that party's is up for sale and they suggested that we all elect a vetting committee to see if the new occupants are up to scratch. Having known them for a long time I'm sure they believe that this is a viable propositionl.

What questions do the forum suggest be included for vetting? Apart that is from the obvious ones - public schools attended, bank balance, directorships, golf handicap, club memberships etc. etc.

Neigbourhood Watch - No FM2R
Tell me this is a wind up?
Apparently not on the proposers' part. As I said, I have known them for a long time and this is not the first time they have tried to dictate terms. The TV "Neighbours from Hell" series shows what lengths some residents will go to to control others. We had one who tried to stop people parking in the road by putting letters under their wipers warning them off (although not me). One complained of harassment to the Police who came and had a word with him. He sold up in a huff and left.

Neigbourhood Watch - Pat
I certainly hope so.

It's easy to see why a house is up for sale, isn't it? Who would want to live among that crowd?

Pat
 Neigbourhood Watch - rtj70
What do you mean by vetting here. To stop unsuitable people buying a property??
That would I am sure be the proposers' astoundingly absurd idea but I would like to go to any meeting called to wind them up by proposing, say, improving the ethnic mix of the road.
 Neigbourhood Watch - Zero
>> That would I am sure be the proposers' astoundingly absurd idea but I would like
>> to go to any meeting called to wind them up by proposing, say, improving the
>> ethnic mix of the road.

Excellent idea, also raise the point that one needs to be socially aware these days, and as good samaritans, would it be a good idea to sell it to a woman refuge, or for homeless single parent families.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 14:04
 Neigbourhood Watch - henry k
>> Excellent idea, also raise the point that one needs to be socially aware these days,
>> and as good samaritans, would it be a good idea to sell it to a
>> woman refuge, or for homeless single parent families.
>>
Or the council to let it as they see fit.
 Neigbourhood Watch - Dog
>>What questions do the forum suggest be included for vetting?

Do they shop in Waitrose, or Morrisons?

Are they Wrexiteers, or Remoaners?

Do they drive German or Korean cars?

Does 'the man of the house play golf' or go metal detecting and, the question the new occupants should ask is ... why would they want to live among you lot.
 Neigbourhood Watch - Zero
I would warn any prospective buyers about the kind of neighbours they were getting.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 13:56
 Neigbourhood Watch - commerdriver
Don't forget the most basic question, are they better off than any of us?
 Neigbourhood Watch - Ted

This would have been useful when I sold next door to a guy I knew in passing. Turned out to be a complete anti-social knob. On the other hand could we have found out about a neighbour about 10 houses down in a block of flats who has just started a 27year holiday in the care of her maj ?

But we do have a noble lord in the road to make up for it !
 Neigbourhood Watch - Cliff Pope
There seem to be a lot of parties in Ambo's street. One reason I decided to live somewhere without any neighbours.
Latest Forum Posts