Non-motoring > eBay is strange Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 26

eBay is strange - Crankcase
Hmm.

What's this all about then? He can't be making money, what with his free postage. Over 2000 mostly positive feedback too.

Here are his current ten items for sale.

tinyurl.com/yb9wntfg

eBay is strange - smokie
Had a look through the feedback and I have no idea. I'd also be interested in any theories.
 eBay is strange - R.P.
Glad to see that there is this "frontier" side to E-Bay, which in general has gone all main-stream
 eBay is strange - martin aston
Looks like a stunt.......Dave Gorman of Modern Life is Goodish fame does this sort of thing. But this one looks a bit dull for him.
 eBay is strange - Zero
Its a positive feedback auction. Seller advertises loads and loads of utterly useless items at very low cost, "buys" (no money changes hands) them through other ids, (or the ring of "feedback buyers") leaving positive feedback and bingo you suddenly have a very good feedback before you launch into your big payback fraud or sell the ID to someone else who will launch the fraud.
 eBay is strange - R.P.
Feedback is duplicated from the same buyers. As Zero says.
 eBay is strange - madf
The seller has been an ebay seller since 2--5 so a very patient scam if it is one..
 eBay is strange - sherlock47
>> Feedback is duplicated from the same buyers. As Zero says.
>>

Nothing strange in or suspicious in that. I often give feedback on a group of purchases using copy and paste.

Also most were from well established buyers.
 eBay is strange - Zero
OK To those members on this forum who think that selling hundreds of useless stupid items that clearly don't exist, for ridiculously small amounts of money is a perfectly safe and normal offer, I have the opportunity of a lifetime for you.........

eBay is strange - No FM2R

>> I have the opportunity of a lifetime for you.........

Is it green?
 eBay is strange - Zero
If you want it to be.
>> If you want it to be.

Cool, I'll take 3 kilos then.
 eBay is strange - Zero
Ok send me your CC details, dont forget the security code on the back, but here is an offer for you,

Pay by bank transfer, and I'll send you a bonus of 2 kilos of red.

You can trust me, look at my feedback...
Ok, but I will be on holiday, so is it ok if I leave the keys under the plant pot?

Please leave the receipt on the hallway table next to my cheque book.

I don't do this with everyone, but you do have good feedback so I trust you.
 eBay is strange - CGNorwich
Sounds great, need some Red - will get round to in just as soon as I finalise this amazing deal this Nigerian chap has offered me out of the blue by email. He's some sort of Prince would you believe.

Must be my lucky day.

Got to go now I've got his chap form Microsoft on the phone. Something wrong with the PC. He's going to fix it for me
 eBay is strange - CGNorwich
I'm sure it's something good. I'll send my card detail right away.
 eBay is strange - tyrednemotional
...as his profile indicates that he's pretending to be in the US (or in Surrey if that's the way you read it), I'd be careful....... ;-)

www.ebay.co.uk/usr/zero
I like the positive feedback auction theory.

Perhaps we could also explain the "mechanism behind the ear" story I've enjoyed this morning?

metro.co.uk/2017/11/07/russian-man-claims-he-was-born-on-mars-before-being-reborn-on-earth-7059235/

It's a shame the Fortean Times doesn't drop through my letterbox anymore. Used to enjoy that back in the seventies.

Edit: my word, I've just discovered it's still going. Blimey.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 7 Nov 17 at 12:08
 eBay is strange - Dog
An Indigo child, they say: everipedia.org/wiki/boriska-kipriyanovich/ I wonder if he's ever visited the mount of Venus.
Isn't that where he came from?

I say Dog, you don't think he's John Titor, do you?
 eBay is strange - Dog
>>Isn't that where he came from?

:o}

you don't think he's John Titor, do you?

Klaatu Barada Nikto.

>> Its a positive feedback auction. Seller advertises loads and loads of utterly useless items at
>> very low cost, "buys" (no money changes hands) them through other ids, (or the ring
>> of "feedback buyers") leaving positive feedback and bingo you suddenly have a very good
>> feedback before you launch into your big payback fraud or sell the ID to someone else
>> who will launch the fraud.

Lets say you're right. and I can't think of a better explanation. - That is some serious dedication and long term thinking going on there.

Is a seller's account with excellent feedback numbers really worth *that* much time and effort?

Surely if they try to sell something expensive then people will look at what type of items have been sold before?

I have little experience of eBay and its behaviours, but that seems an incomplete explanation to me.
 eBay is strange - Zero

>> Lets say you're right. and I can't think of a better explanation. - That is
>> some serious dedication and long term thinking going on there.

Two days work spread over 7 days. Ie a days work to enter 2000 items, a days work to buy 2000 items 7 days later.
But then to do it for a year?

Self-control and unusual forward thinking if nothing else.
 eBay is strange - Fenlander
Initially I would have thought a feedback building scam but it's just too long a period.

Unless I have missed it above has no one considered it might be a person with issues... sort of a reverse hoarder??

Or rather more sinister seeing as it looks as if there are repeat or cluster buys could the items listed be a cover for something different from the real item the buyer knows they will receive??

eBay is strange - Hard Cheese
Feedback built that way is of little value if potential purchasers/victims take any time at all to look at the feedback profile.

Though I can't think of a better explanation.
 eBay is strange - DeeW
Except if they sell the odd good thing over a 90 day period, as before then you cannot see what items were sold. I believe, although cannot remember my source (likely to be a consumer programme), that considerable sums are made from selling a good profile.
Latest Forum Posts