Non-motoring > Home Treadmills Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 34

Home Treadmills - Ambo
Can anyone with experience of these machines advise on a purchase please? I am thinking of getting a one and the price of this model attracts -

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010T49G7Y/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_72l8zb08N6PVF

- but maybe it is no good. Amazon give very few details and trying to follow up Hi-Performance gets me nowhere. I want it for walking rather than running and don't need any bells and whistles, other than a indicator of equivalent miles walked.
 Home Treadmills - R.P.
Have you read the user reviews ? Especially the size thing?
 Home Treadmills - Hard Cheese
I have to ask the obvious, why not just walk, there and back to see how far it is? A good regular walk in the fresh air, the changing of the seasons etc, the same goes for cycling rather than spinning etc.

Home Treadmills - sherlock47
And do not forget to factor in the dedicated TV for viewing while you walk. The living room wall can be a bit samey after 15 minutes!
 Home Treadmills - Zero
Do not waste your time and effort on a treadmill They take up too much space and those that dont need to be packed away and unpacked every time.

Join a gym or go for walks.
 Home Treadmills - Runfer D'Hills
Or, borrow Zippy's dog, he'll keep you stepping out...
;-)
 Home Treadmills - Zero
>> Or, borrow Zippy's dog, he'll keep you stepping out...
>> ;-)

Depends how far A&E is
 Home Treadmills - CGNorwich
I feel you do really want one look second hand. Lots of people buy these things and use them once or twice beforethey are abandoned and sold a year later.

I would second just going for a walk. Much more interesting. I do the 10,000 steps a day thing. The 10,000 steps is a bit bit arbitrary but it does give you a target to aim for. It's around 5 miles. The free App "Pacer" is great for recording steps and distance walked.

I do have a cycling machine in the spare bedroom which is good for a bit of aerobic exercise when it's cold wet and windy outside

Home Treadmills - No FM2R
No. 1 daughter walks 4 times a week, 5 fast miles.

A month or two ago I went with her for a couple of weeks before my schedule took over again; it was *seriously* good exercise. Even in just the two weeks I did it I could feel the difference.

On the other hand I often walk on the treadmill for half an hour or so while pondering stuff. Its ok and tiring to an extent, but doesn't seem like particularly great exercise compared to the real thing.
I began the regular walking as a way to lose weight and get my blood pressure down. It has worked on both counts. For the maximum benefit you have to keep up a fair pace - as if you were at an airport and you have three minutes to get to the gate! or as the NHS site says you should be able to walk and talk but not sing!

I usually try to fit in a longer country walk once a week but that's at a more leisurely pace.

>>I began the regular walking

Out of interest, because I really should start a regime myself, how often and how far?
 Home Treadmills - Clk Sec
I do much the same as CGN, having given up on jogging at 55 as a result of some knee discomfort.

At the moment I'm (fast) walking about 3.5 miles a day and taking in a hill of two on the way. Excellent for the blood pressure (and mood) in my experience.
Yes walking definitely has benefits for your mental frame of mind. I am a bit addicted to it now and the times I haven't managed my daily walk I really miss it.
As I said I aim to do 10,000 steps a day. Of that 10,000 around 3000 are achieved just by regular activity around the house and garden so I aim to do an extra 3 miles or so every day at a good pace .Often I walk to the City centre and back, sometimes I go out to the country and sometimes I just walk around the track in my local park. Some earphones and and a plentifully supply of podcasts help! The great thing about walking is that you can do it anywhere.

I do find the App helps. I quite like having a target and a record of what I have done.
 Home Treadmills - Ambo
I can't always get out and about but do so for preference. Reading reviews led me to think that by "budget" the market means machines priced at upwards of £500, making cheaper ones look suspect, which is why I hoped someone with experience of these things could comment . That is too much for me and I am trying to locate used machines in my area. Fortunately I have enough space, which also affords a view of the garden or TV and walking machines take up less space than those for running.
 Home Treadmills - Zero
I have a dog, the least she will let me get away with is about 4 miles a day, but that's every day, even if it's cold, wet, hot, dark, it will be done or else
 Home Treadmills - commerdriver
>> I have a dog, the least she will let me get away with is about
>> 4 miles a day, but that's every day, even if it's cold, wet, hot, dark,
>> it will be done or else
>>
Is that 4 miles for you or for her, Z?
Even our little Lakeland used to do at least twice the distance we did on a walk.
 Home Treadmills - Robin O'Reliant
Mrs O'Reliant bought a treadmill twenty odd years ago. Five minute wonder, and most people seem to have had the same experience. Like Z says the amount of room they take up is too much if you don't disassemble every time and they are boring as hell. Much like those turbo trainers you get for bikes, like mine which is thirty years old and has about two hours lifetime use. The only reason it hasn't gone down the tip is it makes a handy gear adjustment stand.
 Home Treadmills - Runfer D'Hills
My wife ( a keen mountain biker ) drove 3 miles to the gym this morning and the same back again of course, using a road which has cycle lanes, and while there, sat on an exercise bike for 40 minutes and came home.

I didn't ask !
 Home Treadmills - Zero

>> Is that 4 miles for you or for her, Z?

Me, as you say she is at least double that.
 Home Treadmills - Roger.
I like sitting down.
 Home Treadmills - Dog
>>I like sitting down.

Get yaself an exercise bike or a rowing machine and sit doon on that.
 Home Treadmills - Roger.
... And doing nowt physical
 Home Treadmills - Dog
Ewe wont make old bones ;)
 Home Treadmills - Roger.
>> Ewe wont make old bones ;)
>>

I 'ave!
 Home Treadmills - Dog
>>I 'ave!

Ten more years (at least, hopefully) as my wife used to say to me, after I said our dog (Milo) looks like he is on his last.
>> I can't always get out and about but do so for preference. Reading reviews led
>> me to think that by "budget" the market means machines priced at upwards of £500,
>> making cheaper ones look suspect, which is why I hoped someone with experience of these
>> things could comment .

By coincidence I just bumped into a friend of mine who knows about such things, though knows nothing of the UK Market.

He said its much better to buy used, because most are bought with good intentions and then barely used. He had some other comments which may be of interest (or not);

- Some are motorised, some are not. Buy motorised.
- How heavy and/or fit is the seller? You don't want to buy a stressed motor.
- Some incline, some do not. Buy one that does.
- Do not buy from a gym, hotel or other business
- Cheap s*** looks the same as expensive s***.
- In the case of treadmills, price new *is* a reflection of quality.

Another friend who knows not much about not much, but is always trying to do deals, reckoned that Gumtree was the place for such equipment.

FWIW.
 Home Treadmills - Robin O'Reliant
>> He said its much better to buy used, because most are bought with good intentions
>> and then barely used. He had some other comments which may be of interest (or
>> not);

I would think most of them are virtually given away due to the cost of having them delivered being as they are heavy and bulky items. I think ours went to some local charity when they were appealing for good condition stuff they could auction.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 1 Nov 17 at 01:42
 Home Treadmills - Ambo
Thanks for the checklist, No FMR2R. There is one used item on Gumtree in our locality and I may take a look at it. but I'm growing cooler on the idea by the minute.
You're very welcome.

They are big, bulky & heavy, or at least the good ones are, they take up a lot of space, but ultimately what makes them a good buy or not is whether or not you will make use of them.

How often will you use the treadmill when otherwise you would have done no exercise. e.g. a snowy, icy or rainy day. Or a day when you need to stay close to home, or when you simply prefer.

And only you can answer that.
 Home Treadmills - BiggerBadderDave
Treadmills are crucial, as are walking machines and exercise bikes.

Without those, my wife would be hanging her clothes in my wardrobe.
 Home Treadmills - Roger.
Our daughter bought a used treadmill from eBay, I think. Cost about five or six hundred quid.
It was used by them sporadically, but it was a huge heavy lumpen thing.
On a move to their current posting it was quite badly damaged by the removers. After inspection by a loss adjuster, it was discovered that it was originally a commercial model, as supplied to professional gyms/fitness clubs etc. Cost new was in the high four figures!

Home Treadmills - MD
Post of the year. How so very true.
 Home Treadmills - Bobby
We regularly get all sorts of home exercise equipment donated to our charity shops, usually around summer time. Folk buy them in xmas sales for January New Year's resolutions but come summer they admit that they are only used for hanging the ironing on and they admit defeat!
 Home Treadmills - MD
Home treadmills.

Marriage.
Latest Forum Posts