Non-motoring > Treason? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 25

Treason? - Old Navy
As shooting British terrorists is a bit illegal except in self defence should the Treason law be reinstated after Blair's government effectively scrapped it with the 1998 Crime and Disorder Act.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Oct 17 at 13:30
 Treason? - sooty123
I assume you are talking about rory Stewart's comments? I think he said kill them in the sense he is hoping they are killed on the battle field.

That aside no I don't think there'd be a need to bring it back, there's plenty of laws on the books to deal with them.
 Treason? - Old Navy
>> I assume you are talking about rory Stewart's comments? I think he said kill them
>> in the sense he is hoping they are killed on the battle field.
>>

And in twenty years or so the ambulance chasing lawyers will be putting the military personnel in front of a judge.
 Treason? - sooty123
> And in twenty years or so the ambulance chasing lawyers will be putting the military
>> personnel in front of a judge.
>>

I doubt it, if as you say they are in it for the money they'll be after the government much deeper pockets than the average ex serviceman.

Treason? - Bromptonaut
AIUI the act you mentioned removed the mandatory death penalty for Treason. The offence itself remains.

Treason was not charged during the Troubles, doubtless because it was likely to encourage Nationalists to volunteer for the Provos. Executing Muslims is likely to have same disadvantage, particularly where real/alleged miscarriages of justice and 'innocent' or 'reformed' characters are concerned.

Extra judicial execution of the type visited on the 'White Widow' Sally Jones and her son (still a minor) should be an absolute no no.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 23 Oct 17 at 13:52
 Treason? - No FM2R
>> 'White Widow' Sally Jones

Seemingly given the trendy nickname "White Widow" because she is white and a widow. And why "The"? because there are other widows who are white involved.

Perhaps she'd have better being referred to as "A terrorist sympathizer called Sally Jones" rather than pandering to the need for cute nicknames.
 Treason? - Bromptonaut
>> Seemingly given the trendy nickname "White Widow" because she is white and a widow. And
>> why "The"? because there are other widows who are white involved.

I'll call her a murderous bitch if you prefer.

Extra judicial execution is still wrong.
 Treason? - sooty123
Extra judicial execution is still wrong.
>>

On principle or because you consider it counterproductive or something else?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 23 Oct 17 at 14:14
 Treason? - Bromptonaut
>> On principle or because you consider it counterproductive or something else?

It risks being counter-productive for same reasons as treason trials in NI would have been. My primary objection though is on principle.
 Treason? - sooty123
> It risks being counter-productive for same reasons as treason trials in NI would have been.
>> My primary objection though is on principle.
>>

It can be a grey area at times. If a particular person is identified and armed on the battlefield would it be extrajudicial to kill them or on the way or in the rear directing troops. Or planting an ied?

By extrajudicial I assume you mean not signed off by a judge as opposed to being illegal in the sense that the local commander did so and outside the ROE?
 Treason? - Bromptonaut
>> It can be a grey area at times. If a particular person is identified and
>> armed on the battlefield would it be extrajudicial to kill them or on the way
>> or in the rear directing troops. Or planting an ied?

No, if they're 'on a job' and are intercepted or shot in the act as happened in London then all's fair.

>> By extrajudicial I assume you mean not signed off by a judge as opposed to
>> being illegal in the sense that the local commander did so and outside the ROE?

I mean execution or assassination in their home or in open as opposed to died in action.
 Treason? - No FM2R

>> I'll call her a murderous bitch if you prefer.

I would prefer that.

>>
>> Extra judicial execution is still wrong.

Agreed.
 Treason? - Bromptonaut
>> I would prefer that.

To be honest I couldn't remember either her name or the white widow moniker, just the discussion after her being killed. Google provided both names.
 Treason? - sooty123
Interesting brompt I thought the offence had gone.

Looking it up it doesn't seem to have been used since 1945 for two men who supported Germany and worked for them producing propaganda.
 Treason? - Bromptonaut
>> Looking it up it doesn't seem to have been used since 1945 for two men
>> who supported Germany and worked for them producing propaganda.

Wiki says treason was the charge against the propagandist William Joyce (aka Lord Haw Haw). The day after Joyce's hanging a serviceman was executed for treachery. The latter was last instance of death penalty for an offence other than murder.

Treason - Another Solution? - Bromptonaut
newsthump.com/2017/10/23/tories-to-kill-british-isis-fighters-by-placing-them-on-universal-credit/
 Treason - Another Solution? - Zero
They went abroad to fight and die for the cause, Its very noble of us to assist in achieving that aim.
 Treason - Another Solution? - Haywain
"They went abroad to fight and die for the cause, Its very noble of us to assist in achieving that aim."

And I'd hate them to miss out on their 72 virgins.
 Treason - Another Solution? - Robin O'Reliant
>> And I'd hate them to miss out on their 72 virgins.

Not much good to you if you've just blown your own balls off.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 24 Oct 17 at 02:05
 Treason - Another Solution? - henry k
Please do not spoil the end of the fairy tale :-)
>> Not much good to you if you've just blown your own balls off.

Do earthly disabilities continue in the afterlife? I hope, from her Christian perspective, my Mother's not shuffling round heaven with a walking frame while slightly confused. And in Islam the Virgins are looking after all your needs EXCEPT the one which would leave you wanting number 73....
 Treason - Another Solution? - Robin O'Reliant
>> Do earthly disabilities continue in the afterlife?

Be a bit of a job gluing a pile of mincemeat back together again.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 24 Oct 17 at 02:05
 Treason - Another Solution? - Lygonos
>>Do earthly disabilities continue in the afterlife

Knock yourself out looking for the 'truth'...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife
Former head of MI6 says we can deal with returnees but not by killing them:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/30/britain-isis-returnees-killingislamic-state
 Treason - Another Solution? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Do earthly disabilities continue in the afterlife?
>>

Only your soul, surely? And that's been purified and saved by the prayers we on Earth have offered up to intercede on your behalf.

Treason - Another Solution? - R.P.
Quite profound Cliff ! As usual I'm a snowflake on this. Extra-judicial executions are wrong. Don't agree with the death penalty either.
Latest Forum Posts