Non-motoring > Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 14

Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - smokie
I see he has intervened to order that the charges are dropped against the businessman who was yesterday convicted of touching the hip of another man on a bar, dranking alcohol and "making a rude gesture".

While the charge might have seemed unreasonable to us, he was presumably in contravention of local laws hence the prosecution. That therefore seems fair enough to me.

However as far as I can see it is certainly a bit of a jump for Detained in Dubai's Radha Stirling to say "It has now been established that the allegations against Jamie were entirely unwarranted, defamatory, and meritless." Nothing of the sort!!! Just a bit of clemency!!!

Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - No FM2R
"Mr Harron had also been accused of drinking alcohol and making a rude gesture towards the businessman who made the complaint"

Sounds like Mr Harron is a bit of a dick.
 Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - Lygonos
I have a friend in Dubai that says there was more to the story than has been reported including failing the attitude test.

Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - henry k
>>...more to the story than has been reported including failing the attitude test.
>>
Surprise, surprise.
 Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - Lygonos
>>"It has now been established that the allegations against Jamie were entirely unwarranted, defamatory, and meritless."

Much has been made of the financial losses suffered by the chap, so this is presumably to tee up a civil action.

As NoFM2R said somewhere else about avoiding gradual escalation, you should also not pull out of a legal complaint until the defendant has pled/been found guilty - then if you wish to ask for leniency for whatever reason you can do it without risk of being targeted for malicious/vexatious complaint.
 Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - Bobby
What are the drinking laws there?
 Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - Old Navy
I don't know the laws but the hotel I stayed in which was in the old town near the creek had a very well stocked bar.
 Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - smokie
www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/united-arab-emirates/local-laws-and-customs

I quite like some of them. :-)
I like their drug rule but the rest - jeez!!!!
 Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - CGNorwich
For the most part not a lot different to Britain in the fifties.
 Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - Duncan
>> www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/united-arab-emirates/local-laws-and-customs
>>
>> I quite like some of them. :-)
>>

Interesting.

You can get a licence to drink alcohol, both at home or in other venues, but you can't have a bacon sandwich!
Talking of sheiks, whatever happened to Rattle who used to post here about his Panda?
Think someone on here used to refer to him as sheik??
 Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - R.P.
Lud did.
 Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - Duncan
>> Talking of sheiks, whatever happened to Rattle who used to post here about his Panda?
>>

Didn't/doesn't Ted know him on a personal level?
 Good old Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum - Hard Cheese
I remember Rattle, and Lud for that matter, from many years ago on here ...
Latest Forum Posts