Non-motoring > The latest promise for more UK doctors
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 5

The latest promise for more UK doctors - zippy
Question for a doctor..

Eldest kid is a new F1, qualified this summer. Loves the job. Finds hours ridiculous.

Eldest is not allowed to leave the shift until hand over is done with another doctor.
Other doctors don't turn up at until 4 hours after eldest's shift end (07:30 to 21:30, should have been 17:30) and one day didn't turn up at all with no replacement provided and often finds that they are the only doctor available for several wards.

Other thing is doctors not answering crash alarms.

Is this normal or is the hospital taking the Michael?
 The latest promise for more UK doctors - Lygonos
Your eldest needs to grow a pair.

If I was expected to remain at post for 4 hours after a shift finished I'd sure as hell be getting paid for it.
 The latest promise for more UK doctors - R.P.
Moved to a new thread ! Took me a while to scroll down the other one.
 The latest promise for more UK doctors - R.P.
My niece is currently a Registrar locally. She finds it different to her original very big (what used to call a Teaching hospital). Nominally her shift finishes at around five, more often than not it doesn't. She is in a strong enough position not to take it lying down....
 The latest promise for more UK doctors - zippy
>> Your eldest needs to grow a pair.
>>
>> If I was expected to remain at post for 4 hours after a shift finished
>> I'd sure as hell be getting paid for it.
>>

Overtime is paid, that's not the issue. It's the total lack of support and cover. If two patients get seriously ill at the same time, one is likely to not get the help they need.
 The latest promise for more UK doctors - Lygonos
>>If two patients get seriously ill at the same time, one is likely to not get the help they need.

As has always been the case.

In 1997 at night myself and one other doctor were on call for about 60 patients, with a consultant on the end of a phone.

The nursing staff have to be remembered in the equation - doctors don't usually single-handedly save dying patients and choosing where and when to act is part of the training.

There are very few medical emergencies that need instant attention - those that do are usually over fairly quickly or escalated to other teams (eg patient dies or ends up in theatre)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 21 Oct 17 at 17:49
Latest Forum Posts