Non-motoring > Lest we forget.... Auctions
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 27

Lest we forget.... - No FM2R
www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-xjUqiqVq0

Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 16 Oct 17 at 18:48
 Lest we forget.... - MD
That was excellent thank you Mark.
 Lest we forget.... - Lygonos
My daughter is doing a project in her class on WW2 and we dug out some old photos of her great-gran (died a few years ago when daughter was 4) in her Army outfit.

At 19yrs old she was driving 10-ton trucks around the UK carrying parts of planes and machinery - still remember her tales of going over Shap in winter with an un-heated draughty cab wearing a greatcoat and blankets hoping the brakes would work.

Great-grandad was part of the Army that liberated Bergen-Belsen - fortunately he got rid of his photos of him and his mates carrying bodies on stretchers to be buried - 4 at a time as they were so emaciated.

I have coffee with this lady tomorrow. When she gets back from her daily swim!!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margot_Duhalde

Lest we forget.... - MD
Mark, is she one of the ladies being interviewed in the piece?
Yes, she is. Around about 8'50" I think. Though she is in there in several places.
 Lest we forget.... - MD
I thoroughly enjoyed the piece at 2.00 this morning..Can't sleep due to battered ribs!!

NO. Not that kind of batter.
Martin,

I am part of the Royal British Legion organisation and I spend quite a lot of my time with various veterans.

Some of them are quite amazing people who have done quite incredible stuff. It never ceases to amaze me.

This should link you to a guy called Willy Perez that I interviewed last year. The interview is half in Spanish and half in English, but it has subtitles. Its only 2 minutes long.

www.facebook.com/RBLchile/videos/625307917676653/

Willy sadly died last week, 97 I think he was. I last saw him about 2 weeks ago and he was as friendly and as full of fun as ever.

Pay attention to his words, especially in the last 15 seconds or so.

Lest we forget.

Lest we forget.... - Pat
Mark

I really would be interested in your views on this

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/poppy-truck-will-get-support-of-every-lorrydriver-in-the-country-1-8705641

I'm not trying to be confrontational but this lrry appears at a lot of the shows we attend and always raises a lot of money for RBL and understandably their action has caused a lot of bad feeling from lorry drivers in general.

I personally can't understand their reasons and would have expected them to get behind it and support it.

Pat
I know nothing of that specific matter, and in any case am not in a position to pass opinion.

Speaking generally though, logos and images need to be protected. If one does not take steps in one case, then one may not take steps in another. Thus it is simpler and safer to stop all. Hoover specifically lost their trademark in the UK for that reason.

So one is not able to allow its use in one case, without risking its use in many cases.

Equally, at the moment if anyone sees the Poppy they *know* it is the RBL. If the images were licensed, that certainty would be reduced and there would be more scope for abuse. And as a charity yourself, you probably know how quickly people will seek to take advantage.

You'd have hoped a solution could have been found, or that the RBL would have explained themselves better. Though perhaps they did and the media simply chose to report it differently.

Difficult to know.

What I can tell you is that I hope people can move beyond the irritation and annoyance, because every penny raised will be appreciated and well used. And every penny is needed.

Lest we forget.... - sooty123
>> Mark
>>
>> I really would be interested in your views on this
>>
>> www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/poppy-truck-will-get-support-of-every-lorrydriver-in-the-country-1-8705641
>>
>> I'm not trying to be confrontational but this lrry appears at a lot of the
>> shows we attend and always raises a lot of money for RBL and understandably their
>> action has caused a lot of bad feeling from lorry drivers in general.

I can't see in the article what rbl can actually do, apart from send strongly worded letters? Is the picture of a poppy protected?
 Lest we forget.... - CGNorwich
“Poppy Truck and Team Poppy” has been registered as a trademark by the owners of the truck

The owner of the truck has been requested by the RBL to stop using the terms and give up their trademark as its use could potentially damage the RBI brand.

There appears to be no issue with the decoration of the van. I would have thought that the owners of the van could quite easeily accede to the RBL's request if they are genuinely concened wiht the charity they profess to support.

Doesn't sound like a great deal they can do then.
 Lest we forget.... - CGNorwich
They can contest the copyright and seek an injunction to stop them using those terms.

Looking at their website I think the RBL have a good case. They are clearly seeking to give the impression that they are somehow associated with the poppy appeal and the RBL.

cb-haulage.co.uk
Sounds good news for their lawyers.
 Lest we forget.... - MD
Watched, thank you.
 Lest we forget.... - Harleyman
I'm a member of RBLR (Royal British Legion Riders) which for those of you who aren't aware, is a non-territorial RBL branch whose members are motorcyclists. Most, but not all of the members, are ex-servicemen.

Without going into too much detail, the RBL has been somewhat eclipsed in recent years by the likes of Help for Heroes, whom it seems to see as "muscling in" on its territory. Personally I'm minded to think that this is partly self-inflicted as the RBL had sat on its laurels for too long.

The upshot of this is a lot of internal strife between the "old guard" of the RBL and some of the more modern factions such as the Riders' Branch as well as H4H who are viewed very much as "young upstarts".

I suspect that this issue is a classic example. This is purely my personal view and shouldn't be taken as representative of any of the groups I've mentioned.
 Lest we forget.... - Bromptonaut
>> Personally I'm minded to think that this is partly self-inflicted as the
>> RBL had sat on its laurels for too long.

That's a reasonable perception based on its public and fundraising profile but in terms of on the ground help it is still my 'go to' for ex services people with problems.

And if it needs to 'modernise' it's funding model it will have people in media going apoplectic if it pays professionals the going rate for the job.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 24 Oct 17 at 22:42
 Lest we forget.... - Hard Cheese
The RBL issue with the truckers is clearly a matter of branding, adhering to brand guidlines and copyright.

Though branding is one thing and PR is something else ...

>> The upshot of this is a lot of internal strife between the "old guard" of
>> the RBL and some of the more modern factions such as the Riders' Branch as
>> well as H4H who are viewed very much as "young upstarts".

It's many years since I was called a young upstart though last year I walked 26 miles as part of Walking for the Wounded's Walking Home for Christmas campaign. I work at home, or rather from home, though I joined an ex military mate and we walked home from his place of work, a very hilly route, quite tough and despite setting off at midday much of it in the dark. Plan to do the same this year, the week before Christmas ...
 Lest we forget.... - Old Navy
When I see can rattlers of any variety, often in shopping centers, I wonder how big a cut of the takings they are getting, and how much dissapears into admin, and how much actually gets to the charity involved. We only donate direct to Macmillan cancer, RBL, and local charities through our church.
 Lest we forget.... - Manatee
There are lots of businesses operating under the 'good causes' banner, some are charities, some are not, and some give next to nothing to good causes. The poppy is a powerful fund raising symbol and I have no doubt it has been abused.

I'm not suggesting that applies to the poppy lorry/van, but I can see why the Legion wants to control it.

I never give to causes if I don't know where it's going. Along with the many selfless people who give their time to support genuine causes, there are too many parasites shaking tins and signing people up in supermarket car parks, syphoning off money that people think they are giving to people who need it.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 08:59
 Lest we forget.... - Zero
The valid point they have of course is that they need to ensure that scroats dont exploit the poppy and its symbolism to line their own pockets. Its hard to do that if the branding is allowed everywhere. The other problem they have, and to be fair its of their own making, is that they are tied to memories of WW1 and WW2. One that has no survivors and one that is getting fewer. They have made precious little attempt to keep the cause current.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 10:31
> The upshot of this is a lot of internal strife between the "old guard" of
>> the RBL and some of the more modern factions such as the Riders' Branch as
>> well as H4H who are viewed very much as "young upstarts".

My impression is that they felt their noses were point out of joint by no longer being 'top dog' when it comes to military charities. H4H really captured the moment and raised a lot of money. Although they have quite a narrow remit, that's not a criticism that's just what they are.

A know a few other charities rebranded themselves to try and get back in the spotlight, the Army benevolent fund is the soldiers charity. Another one who dealt with blind soldiers renamed themselves as well.
 Lest we forget.... - Harleyman

>> My impression is that they felt their noses were point out of joint by no
>> longer being 'top dog' when it comes to military charities. H4H really captured the moment
>> and raised a lot of money. Although they have quite a narrow remit, that's not
>> a criticism that's just what they are.
>>
>> A know a few other charities rebranded themselves to try and get back in the
>> spotlight, the Army benevolent fund is the soldiers charity. Another one who dealt with blind
>> soldiers renamed themselves as well.
>>

Indeed; and lest anyone think I'm slating RBL, I remain a member and wholly support it.

As someone else mentioned, RBL no longer have the field to themselves; they never did really as there are many other charities such as BLESMA and SSAFA (along with St. Dunstans which is the blind one you mention) who do sterling work but were less well known outside of serving and ex-service circles until recent times.

There's also been quite a few allegedly charitable organisations, ostensibly allied to military welfare causes, which have turned out to be less than they actually claim to be, and it is this aspect, perhaps, which has put the likes of RBL on their guard.
St Dunstans, thanks I couldn't remember the name of it the other day.
 Lest we forget.... - Old Navy
King George's fund for sailors has been rebranded as Seafarers UK.

www.seafarers.uk

The Royal Marine Band concerts at held as fund raisers for this charity, the first of our local winter season is on Thursday.

www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organisation/the-fighting-arms/royal-marines/royal-marines-band-service/rm-band-scotland
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 25 Oct 17 at 22:49
 Lest we forget.... - Zero

>> At 19yrs old she was driving 10-ton trucks around the UK carrying parts of planes
>> and machinery - still remember her tales of going over Shap in winter with an
>> un-heated draughty cab wearing a greatcoat and blankets hoping the brakes would work.

Good friend of mine's mother died a few years back. She was an extremely bright old lady, but went gaga. When she died it was discovered from various letters, that she was recruited out of oxford to be a typist, then moved into the cryptanalysis team at Bletchley. Never said a word to anyone in all those years, even when ravaged by Alzheimers.
 Lest we forget.... - Hard Cheese
Most charities are extremely protective over their IP for very good reasons, they carefully balance their messages to optimise sympathy for the cause and don't want their efforts diluted.

Others perhaps take the view that some individuals are tackling areas, geographical or societal, that they are not covering themselves so it's better to have even 10% of something rather than 100% of nothing.

Latest Forum Posts