Non-motoring > Red Sky at - Lunchtime! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 26

Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41635906

Went out walking the dog, the light is incredible, everything has a strange pink shade. Its actually very spooky and unsettling in a "the earth is crashing into mars"science fiction way.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - DP
I'm working at my desk in the conservatory at the moment and it's like I'm wearing a pair of pinkish yellow tinted glasses. It's bizarre
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - helicopter
Same here ..very spooky.
Reminds me of being in a dust storm in the desert near Doha without the dust. I have the lights on at 3 pm.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Dog
>> very spooky and unsettling in a "the earth is crashing into mars"science fiction way.

Could be the end of life ... as we know it.

Bit of down 'ere. Cody likes chasing the leaves.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - PeterS
Very odd on the south coast too...got quite dark for a short while around 14:30 as well, but lighter again now. A yellowish tinge here now...
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Manatee
Same here in west Herts. I commented on it about 2 hours ago, very gloomy and unusual light, and a steady blow from the west.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - DP
Slowly reverting back to the default gloomy grey here now :-)

Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Ambo
Here in Poole we had an eerie, sickly, golden light at midday, very dark, almost like an eclipse. Clouds dimly discernible, grey on a grey background. Quite still on the ground but now the sky has cleared, there is even some sun and the wind is getting up. There are numerous tall trees nearby, two of which could reach our house if falling and some high, exposed fences. 30 years ago we suffered a wrecked skylight and some dislodged hip tiles so fingers crossed.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Zero
Now flights grounded

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41639386
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Bromptonaut
Currently on Lancs Coast in caravan.

Very grey first thing c8:00 then moved to pink sun and cloud others describe. By midday we were in bright sunshine and went out to Crosby to see Gormley's 'Another Place' installation - breezy but nice.

All changed around 15:00 and we've now got full on hooley. Leaves, rubbish and bits and bobs people hadn't moved or fastened down swirling round and heading generally north

We're on a reasonably sheltered pitch and should be OK though 'van is quivering a bit in strongest gusts - decision not to put awning up was right!!.

Not sure I'd fancy newer end of site which is a lot more exposed.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Hard Cheese
Yellowish then reddish then yellowish tinge to the light here between about 1300 and 1430, kind of a Simpsons sky now.

Not as much wind as forecast, quite a blow at about 1300 which shook a lot of leaves off the trees, then quieter, and now a strong breeze, though nothing like the 45 ish MPH forecast here (yet ... so as not to tempt fate).
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - CGNorwich
Dust cloud now over Norfolk. Sun was just a red ball an ago
The religious nutter is in his usual place outside Primark in the centre of the City urging that we change our ways.

Worried that he may be right!
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Bobby
Left Bishop Stortford at 9.30 am this morning and drove up arriving in Motherwell at 16.00.

At Scotch Corner around 1 ish and it was very eerie, very misty and dark.

Once we hit the A66 there were patches of fog that were so bad I was down to about 20mph. You know the type, everyone else lines up behind you and then you get someone flying past and slam on their brakes as they pass as they realise that they can't see a thing!

But at one point the sun was to our left and when the fog cleared there was a lovely red glow.

Fog cleared as quickly as it started and then further up, on the M74,had two torrential downpours where I have to admit I felt very vulnerable. All lights on but wipers couldn't cope. Just slowed down and hoped the vehicle in front was moving at the same or faster than me!

And the Civic reminded me of its major strength - half a tank for the journey up, cruise was sitting at 77 mph wherever it could, and trip computer showed 73.4mpg which is around 66-67 real mpg.

Meanwhile, my sister was flying home from Stansted to Dublin around 5pm !!
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Clk Sec
>> Dust cloud now over Norfolk.

My black barge is covered in dust, or is it sand? Must give it a wash tomorrow, then put it in the garage.

Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - CGNorwich
Fine sand/dust from the Sahara with an element of ash from Portugese/ Spanish wildfires apparently. Sort of natural T-Cut.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Robin O'Reliant
No sun here just a dull grey sky. Being battered by the winds, the car was being blown off line a few times on exposed sections of road. Schools closed at mid-day, Cardigan High St closed because of falling debris and a few villages without power, tree branches all over the place and the Irish ferry not running. Just got home, thank heavens. It's rough out there.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - PeterS
So we’ve had no noticeable wind at all here, and now it’s a very bright and mild evening. The autumn leaves look amazing, and the misano red pearl paintwork on the Audi is positively glowing following its “complimentary” valet at Brighton Audi on Friday :)
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Hard Cheese
>> the Audi is positively glowing following its “complimentary” valet at Brighton Audi on Friday :)
>>

Both BMWs had a good clean on Friday and mine was looking great yesterday despite a round trip to Birmingham on Saturday (230 miles), though it is now covered in some kind of dust that has been carried in the wind, probably the stuff that has made the sky yellowish ...
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - rtj70
I assumed this morning that my car could end up covered in the 'dust' but I get my new one tomorrow morning so got this one cleaned. Probably pointless but there you go.

It's been a weird sort of light today. It just looks a bit 'wrong'. Good drying weather in the NW though.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Runfer D'Hills
You getting a new car Rob?

Blimey, you kept that quiet didn't you?

;-))
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - R.P.
Windy here, had a call from our old neighbour, saying that a tree next to our old house was close to falling on another property. She was petrified of going out to inform the other neighbour - so I phoned him..sounded a lot worse there than here.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Runfer D'Hills
I notice the ferries out of Holyhead are all cancelled too. Must be bad. I've sailed across there in some fairly rough weather before now.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Robin O'Reliant
Power went off at 7pm and has just come back on. As we have one of these new fangled gas hobs that shuts the supply off if there is no electric for the igniter it was down the chippy for a take away dinner. Anyone who tells you that cod and chips by candlelight is romantic is taking out of the wrong hole.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - R.P.
Went off here as well for around half an hour. We have dual fuel stove and wood burner - so more or less ok when it goes off.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Stuartli
I recall, quite a few years back now, a similar Sahara sand storm being carried over long distance to end up on our shores.

The car, along with any other larger objects, ended up covered in a blanket of red dust and it took several days - and frequent hosing off - to get rid of the dust.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Cliff Pope
I've spent a morning in the garden in glorious sunshine, clearing up the mess left by yesterday's winds.
We hired an enormous leaf blower, Ophelia brand I think, which piled the leaves against gates, walls and hedges, and made them quite easy to rake up.

I've also been admiring our large oak tree, which withstood the storm manfully. It was only a month ago I got a tree expert's opinion as to its soundness, and he pronounced it one of the heathiest he had ever seen. He said it's only about 200 years old, a youngster, and pointed out the various indicators for a healthy oak. I'm relieved to find he was absolutely right.
 Red Sky at - Lunchtime! - Ted

Pah ! youz lot have it lucky. I had to go to all the trouble of picking up the grandkid's basket ball net which had blown over and knocked over a rake which I'd left against the green bin.

Not only that, I had to pick up the peg basket which had blown off the line. Lovely day today but I'm exhausted now !
Latest Forum Posts