Non-motoring > Holiday advice/recommendations please. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 19

Holiday advice/recommendations please. - Badwolf
Evening all,

Mrs B and I have totally different expectations of a holiday. Mrs B just wants to sunbathe all day, eat in the hotel then go round the bars of a night. I want to see something of the country I'm in, can't abide lengthy sunbathing, want to eat at a different restaurant each night then sit outside a nice, quiet (but busy - if you see what I mean) bar and people watch all night.

Apart from going on seperate holidays, does anybody have any recommendations of places that would suit both our needs?

(A cruise suits us perfectly, as we found out on honeymoon, but we probably won't be able to do that again for another couple of years.)

Thanks, as always, in advance.

PS - don't think Iffy'll be recommending a certain Bassenthwaite hotel... :-)
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - Zero
Well as Mrs Wolf wants to sunbathe, then the UK is out.

Madiera or Crete.

Just choose your place carefully in crete away from the livelier spots.
>> Madiera or Crete.

Forgot to mention - she doesn't fancy Greece or Turkey which is a real shame as I had the most fantastic holiday in Fethiye a few years ago and would love to go back. Madeira* is worth a look though - ta for that.

*Madeira always makes me think of Stephen Fry: Phill Jupitus said once on QI that "Stephen doesn't have beer goggles, he has madeira pince-nez." Priceless!
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - Bellboy
just stick a pin in a map and go there
obviously be careful as you dont want to end up in chernobyl but even there you might get an even tan...........
the people watching is a bit dead tho.
yes but just think in a few years more time you can have a two headed conversation
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - mikeyb
Caribean. I had a fab holiday in Antigua a few years back - nice beaches, and plenty of history to explore. Not as expensive as you would imagine - avoid the packages and go DIY - Paid for flights with BA miles, booked a hire car, and found a nice small family hotel on the net.

Barbados was also good. Bit more developed, and I did enjoy the tour of the mount gay distilery.....:-)
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - CGNorwich
No beaches in Madeira. Bars aren't that great either.

Suggest Languedoc South of France. Great beaches, fantastic food and wine, Great towns to visit, lot of history.

Holiday advice/recommendations please. - bathtub tom
>>No beaches in Madeira.

There was one when I was last there, black sand IIRC. Has it been washed away?
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - CGNorwich
There are no decent natural beaches in Madeira. There are a couple of small man made beaches - they import the sand form Morocco. It normally gets washed away in the winter The black sand beach in Funchal was used to dump all the rocks and debris after the disastrous flood in February but it was never really an area for sunbathing.
Where did it say that Mrs B needed a beach?
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - smokie
Mr Z is right, it doesn't mention beach. And I am in the same position as the OP, but a bit worse. I don't mind the sitting down for a day or two but then I get bored. SWMBO can do it all day and all night. I like music bars in the evening, she doesn't.

But probably worst of all she won't consider a hotel unless it has "!interesting shaped" pools, so anything with a rectangular pool is instantly dismissed. She also isn't that keen on beaches, which is where the best "scenery" can often be found.

Anyway, it ends up with me going to Florida, ostensibly for motor racing, once a year, plus a few weekends away with pals at blues festivals (Bentworth this weekend, Swanage in October) and SWMBO holidaying with our (adult) children and/or friends. We do usually have at least one long holiday a year together plus of course some weekends away!!
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - sherlock47

>> Suggest Languedoc South of France. Great beaches, fantastic food and wine, Great towns to visit,
>> lot of history.
>>
>>
>>

But not during August! Too many people, I wont go near the coast, during the holiday period, (or can't on a Saturday!)

Fantastic food is stretching it bit! unless you have a good inside knowledge. Most of the touristy historic towns have too many seasonal ,here today, gone tomorrow, restaurants.

I am living in 34 at the moment.
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - Mapmaker
Did you not realise this problem before you were married?

Why not stay in an apartment. Then there is no risk of having to eat in the same hotel each night... cheaper too...

If it were 5 miles closer to the sea, I'd recommend Jerez.
>> Did you not realise this problem before you were married?

I did, MM. But it wasn't enough of a problem to scupper the deal :-)

I've provisionally booked a lovely looking apartment in a converted church in Braemar for a week around our first wedding anniversary next year. Beyond that, who knows?

Thanks for all your recommendations folks, much appreciated. Keep 'em coming!
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - Iffy
...don't think Iffy'll be recommending a certain Bassenthwaite hotel..

Who mentioned Bassenthwaite?

But as I would rather sit in a mouldy shower than lie in the sun, I'm not going to be much help with this one.

Speaking of a certain Lake District hotel, Laterooms.com tell me my review will be posted in the next day or two.

Funny I had to chase that up, isn't it?

I can't for one moment think that as a hotel booking/marketing operation, they are not really interested in negative reviews.
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - Mapmaker
Tripadvisor...
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - Jim M
Thailand, Phuket in Feb March. Cheap as chips as nobody going due to Bangkok problems but all over for now. White beaches, warm sea, and plenty to visit and wonderful people. Food is great as many expats have opened restaurants Swiss/French/German and Asain if course. Ignor reputation, it is well controlled and not "in your face". Please don't hire a motorbike. You may be able to check the accuracy of some car reports you have read elsewhere! Use Trip Advisor for hotels it's very accurate, book room, arrive, ask if any deals for upgrade they are always ready to deal especially now.
We lived in Bangkok for 2 yrs - absolute bliss.
Jim
 Holiday advice/recommendations please. - Bigtee
Pakistan take you swimmimg trunks.
bridlington
what a change from the last time i was there
nice now lots of space
traffic banned
decent fish and chip supper
and the sun shone all day till 8 ish
Latest Forum Posts