Non-motoring > How many times a week? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 72

How many times a week? - Crankcase

No, not that. That's one of the subjects eve never done here and I don't intend to start now.

An advert has just popped up on the tv that started "the average British family eats out or orders a takeaway three times a week".

Discuss.

I'm always the outlier and half of you don't believe a word I type, but I can honestly say we have never in 35 years ordered a takeaway anything, and if we eat out as much as twice in a year that's unusual.

But there are just us two old fogies, one of whom has not the slightest interest in food anyway. I expect the rest of you are gallivanting around town every other night? How true do you think the advert to be?
 How many times a week? - No FM2R
On average I'd say I eat out 75% of lunches and 20% of evening meals. So, 2 evening meals and 5 lunches a week, or something like that. I rarely eat a take out, no kebabs you see, unless I steal some of the girls' food, once or twice a month I'll hit the local Burger king.

The rest of the family eat out a lot less than me, but probably have one or two take outs per week, usually at the weekend.
 How many times a week? - Zero
Three times a week? Spot on the mark. Eaten out twice this week, and got takeaway fish and chips once.
 How many times a week? - Runfer D'Hills
I have my chef and butler following me in the Range Rover I provide for them, and it is their responsibility to ensure that the hamper is kept stocked and a fold away table and chair are set up when I decide to take lunch.

Or, I go to Greggs...

;-)
>> I have my chef and butler following me in the Range Rover I provide for
>> them, and it is their responsibility to ensure that the hamper is kept stocked and
>> a fold away table and chair are set up when I decide to take lunch.

>> Or, I go to Greggs...

Now if you had a Swift Base camp........
 How many times a week? - Bromptonaut
Suspect UK stats include delivered stuff like Dominoes pizza. My son makes a living doing delivery in Tuebrook etc area of Liverpool
 How many times a week? - CGNorwich
We eat out two or three time a week. Lunch more often than dinner. In addition visit a cafe or a pub most days.

Never could afford eatin out when the family were growing up. It's nice to be able to do it now.

Never buy takeaway.* Most are pretty horrible and frankly don't see the point. I can cook a decent meal in less time that to takes to buy one

* Usually buy fish and chips once a year and eat them on Cromer Pier. It's a sort of tradition.
 How many times a week? - Dog
Don't watch or listen to any adverts adverts so I don't know what you're on about [as usual :)]

Used to eat out regularly when we lived in Tenerife - tis part of 'the life' doncha know.
Don't eat out at all nowadays or have take a ways.

Am 'funny' about food - like to know what's gorn into it, where it's come from and, howl it's cooked, which means a DIY job.
 How many times a week? - R.P.
Oddly we had a chip takeaway tonight. Standing in on family related mission - otherwise the answer would be pretty well never. We used to have a Chinese takeaway once every month or so when Mrs RP worked a day shift on a Friday - a sort of mini tradition. Not had one since we moved house.
We eat out regularly, sort of two lunches out this week and a meal out last night, very local ((almost walkable) top class place, they do a rump steak and a bottle of wine on a Thursday night for £25.00 and it is top notch nosh (also get 10% off as I'm a member of their Spa)...
 How many times a week? - zippy
I eat in hotel restaurants about twice a week so don't enjoy eating out as much as my family does.

Same with takeaways, I find the food, lukewarm and very variable quality. Kids love them though an I guess we used to get 2 to 3 per week but now about once a week.
 How many times a week? - sooty123
Takeaways very rarely, maybe a couple of times a year. Eating out maybe half a dozen when I'm at home. When I'm away with work pretty much all the time.
 How many times a week? - Focal Point
I have never, ever ordered delivered cooked hot food. I bring home fish and chips maybe once every few years. A few times a month we have ready meals.

On the other hand, we eat out occasionally, maybe once a month on average. When we visit my eldest son or daughter for the day we always take them (with partners and offspring) out for a lunch.

We (or mostly I) prefer to cook at home.
 How many times a week? - DP
Chinese or pizza delivered maybe 2-3 times a month typically.
 How many times a week? - Fenlander
Three times a week very accurate for us as a family. Great chippy a short cycle ride away plus an excellent Chinese & Indian that deliver. So chips on a Wed and Chinese Fri or Sat plus one lunch a week out as a family over the weekend but this could be a toastie in Costa. I eat out lunchtime a couple of extra days too.
 How many times a week? - Fenlander
Crankcase have you really never felt the urge on the way home from wherever (heavy metal gig perhaps) to bump up the path straddling double yellows outside the chippy rather than have someone cook when you get back home??
 How many times a week? - Ted

We eat out a fair bit, sometimes at friends. There are about 40 places in the village where you can eat and perhaps a dozen takeaways who deliver. We lunch out with friends, usually pubs. . We go out most months to our favourite Italian and I have a sausage butty and a cuppa about three mornings a week, sat outside usually with a cigar and just ' people watch '

Bought a bag of chips tonight to save SWM cooking potatoes but only 'cos I had to go to the chemist across the road.

I think eateries have become the biggest industry here, overtaking funerals ! 'Hipster' capital of Manchester now !
The hipster test in any place is the penny farthing count !
 How many times a week? - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah, that's just Wales Rob, you wait till they see a proper bike, or a even a car...

;-)
 How many times a week? - Duncan
>>
>> There are about 40 places in the village where you can eat and perhaps a dozen takeaways who deliver.
>>

I always say that it's never too early for a bit of pedantry.

If you have 40 eating places and a dozen takeaways, then it's not a village.

Known as 'villages ' in this City for generations, Dunc. It's a local thing. I think London does the same.

We have here...Chorlton-cum-Hardy village, Didsbury village, Northenden village and so on. All suburbs really, but old villages incorporated into the City years ago.
 How many times a week? - Manatee
I can't remember when we last had a takeaway, fish and chips I think when we had been away for a week and had nothing in the house.

We don't eat out very often - now and again a curry with friends for a birthday, or a pub lunch after a walk. Just eating out for the hell of it is something we rarely do - there's the pointless travel and dragging out a meal for an hour or two that could be prepared and eaten in less time at home. And it is getting stupidly expensive for poor food in many cases.

Next Sunday we are doing bulb planting round the village with half a dozen other folk, and they all seem very keen on going to the pub after for Sunday lunch. I have declined because I know I will rather flop at home, the pub will take ages to produce it, and there won't be nearly enough Yorkshire pudding - there never is (we eat ours as a separate first course at home, as is proper).

That said, I went to Wolverhampton today with a pal to pick up a car, and first call was the Great Western for a Pint of Batham's bitter and a hot pork roll each and some chips. Under £13 for two IIRC, and very good. Recommended.
 How many times a week? - Crankcase
Ah, pub prices.

They are repeating Inspector Morse at the moment, right from the beginning. We saw one in the week, that was first shown in 1987. In the pub, Lewis orders "a pint of best better and an orange juice".

The bill is £1.89 and he's shocked at the expense.

Having said that, I have no idea what that would cost today. A fiver?

How many times a week? - Cliff Pope
Family dinners out on birthdays, so that's five per year, plus any special celebrations - exams, etc.
Cafes/pubs perhaps once per week on average, just the two of us, lunch or morning coffee.
We have very rarely had a delivered chinese or indian meal - we were going to last week but the restaurant has just been shut down by inspectors because of rats, so probably just as well missed.
>> Having said that, I have no idea what that would cost today. A fiver?
>>
>>

All depends where you live, around my way I'd say £5-6 pounds. Spoons even cheaper probably £3-4.
7 quid round my way.

Last Sunday, 4 of us stopped off at The Angel, Snetterton after the dog show for dinner. We had 4 roast duck Sunday dinners, complete with plates of veg, Yorkshires, roasties, a pudding each two pints each (dog show women are quite, errr, Earthy!) and the bill came to 90 quid.

Quite reasonable I thought.
 How many times a week? - bathtub tom
Pub lunch once a week when we cycle (corporation taxi if it's raining) into town for the market.
Dinner out about once a month and a takeaway curry or chinese a couple of times a month. It would be churlish not to with so many. Take a tour down this road: goo.gl/maps/WmiyGk2afps
 How many times a week? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Last Sunday, 4 of us stopped off at The Angel, Snetterton

Any decent detective could trace you and check your alibi from that evidence. :)

>> Any decent detective could trace you and check your alibi from that evidence. :)

Do I need an alibi for last Sunday at 17:10? OF what am I accused?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 16 Oct 17 at 01:46
Typical liberal. Wanting to know the accusation before the forces of the state cart you off. Plenty of time for that later after your interrogation and trial.
>> 7 quid round my way.
>>
>>
>> Last Sunday, 4 of us stopped off at The Angel, Snetterton after the dog show
>> for dinner. We had 4 roast duck Sunday dinners, complete with plates of veg, Yorkshires,
>> roasties, a pudding each two pints each (dog show women are quite, errr, Earthy!) and
>> the bill came to 90 quid.
>>
>> Quite reasonable I thought.
>>

Plus a taxi home, or did you cadge a lift off someone?
 How many times a week? - Harleyman

>> Having said that, I have no idea what that would cost today. A fiver?
>>
>>

If you're lucky. In Oxfordshire, at a decent pub, expect to pay four quid for a pint of best cask-conditioned bitter and a couple of quid for the orange juice.

Then again, in 1987 I was earning less than three quid an hour.
 How many times a week? - legacylad
My local pub, only 3 hand pumps for real ale, charge £2.90 a pint... but save your receipts and you get I free for every 8 pints bought ( no time limit) which equates to £2.58. A J2O in a pint glass, topped up with lemonade, is £2.00
For just over £12 I get a pint of juice ( enjoyable after the gym sauna) then 4 pints of beer. Can’t complain really
 How many times a week? - sherlock47
>>charge £2.90 a pint... but save your receipts and you get I free for every 8 pints bought ( no time limit) which equates to £2.58.>>

You better start saving hard for Richmond!

A receipt in a pub? This must be a northern thing, or do all pubs sell on credit cards oop there :)

How many times a week? - Duncan
>> Can’t complain really
>>

You will do when you start paying Richmond prices.

Will you be using any of the pubs bordering Richmond Green?.....
Take care in the park. A Japanese tourist draped in cameras nearly died last week when gored in many places by a Very large, Very fast, Very Testosterone Laden rutting stag.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 15 Oct 17 at 09:48
 How many times a week? - PeterS
The only takeaway we’ll have is fish and chips. Probably once every couple of months.
Eating out is another matter, and we’ll usually have a couple of evening meals out a week and a lunch or breakfast at the weekend. I’ll also probably have another couple of lunches while at work. So broadly, the average of three seems about right to me
 How many times a week? - Boxsterboy
We are a family of 5 with three teenagers.it's usually only the kids that have a take-away Dominoes which is at the end of our road, and even then way less than once a month. If the 'average' family has that many take always, it would explain the levels of obesity in society!
 How many times a week? - legacylad
I take my old Mum for lunch twice a month...Elaine’s at Feizor is her favourite. Only a few miles away near t’top of Buckhaw Brow, just outside Settle. Gammon, egg, ( proper) pineapple, chips & peas £6.95 I think. If you’re a gannet, then the XL portion is £9.95.
In addition I eat out twice a month. Almost always a curry.
 How many times a week? - Ambo
Out for three lunches a week. No takeaways. Delicious, home-cooked dinner every evening - over 20,000 of them so far.
 How many times a week? - Roger.
We had a takeaway last night - an M & S Indian meal for a tenner!
I have a Sparks card and had added the offer of an extra side dish to it.
So, one chicken korma, one chicken madras, two pilau rice and the extra side dish - an assortment of Indian starters for a tenner. Not bad.
Even better, having had one of these deals before and knowing the quite generous portions, I split the purchase into two and froze one. Microwaved mains and oven baked starters ,12 minutes in total.
That made a pretty decent meal for the two of us for a fiver.
I remember some 11/12 years ago, my EX son-in-law (a financial fool, but that's another story) ordering three Domino's Pizzas to feed 5 people. The bill was, to me, a shattering thirty quid.
He paid, but I've never forgotten: thirty quid for three pizzas , nothing special either - come on!
Fish and chips are a rare treat, but our proper sit-down restaurant of choice is Whitby's located on the outskirts of Sheffield, (but in Rotherham District) They are in Doncaster as well, near the racecourse.
A superb cod and chips is around a tenner, while haddock and chips are a little more.
You will not be hungry after eating there.
Last edited by: Roger. on Sun 15 Oct 17 at 20:29
 How many times a week? - rtj70
Got Indian takeaway tonight.... About £7.00 for a veggie korma and pillu rice. Enough for two. ;-)
I picked up a Dominos on the way home from choir practice one night. I was shocked at the price of one very simple pizza...not for me anymore.
 How many times a week? - MD
I spotted the prices in Dominoes once and didn’t bother.
Out of interest, how much?
About 8 quid if I recall correctly.
I thought 8 quid was a lot, then I looked up what we pay for a delivery medium pepperoni pizza and it was £8. So I guess not.

This is though, there's always some promotion or other going. We usually get an overall discount of 20% to 40% on the bill, you just don't get that when you buy only one at a time.

Still expensive though and more than I thought.
 How many times a week? - sherlock47

>> was shocked at the price of one very simple pizza...not for me anymore.
>>

Organise the practice for a Tuesday you could have had a second for free!

You don't need a voucher to get this Domino's two for Tuesday 2for1 offer, it's really simple just order over the phone, in-store or from the 'meal deals' section of the website on a Tuesday. It's valid on medium and large pizzas only.
 How many times a week? - zippy
Lad was home from uni for the first time this weekend, couldn't quite make a month - he misses the dog ;-)

I received orders. No takeaways allowed!

Only home cooked meals so this weekend we cooked: a curry from scratch (did buy the poppadums), a bottle of Cloudy Bay, nan breads, Bombay potatoes and saag-aloo. A chicken and prawn risotto and a lamb roast. Oh, forgot to mention a home made tiramisu and a rhubarb pie.

It costs a small fortune!

He also took my phone power bank, USB cable, dust pan and brush and rucksack.

Then he wanted to be taken to the cinema (Kingsman - The Golden Circle - wait for it on TV)!

I feel skint!
 How many times a week? - helicopter

I love food and dining out and have been known to spend over £100 a head at Michelin starred restaurants.

SWMBO is a really good cook but we have cut down dramatically on eating out and takeaways in UK since an incident in May after four days of eating out in a row when I had to call 111 in the middle of the night and ended up with them sending an ambulance to go to A & E with severe burning stomach pain.

Paramedics suspected a heart attack, SWMBO suspected gallstones and after all the tests ,prodding and inspections it turned out to be nothing more than very severe acid indigestion but I took the doctors warning since then and I have lost 1 1/2 stone and feel very much better for it. I do not want pain like that again.....and I do not want to waste NHS resources with something which is eminently preventable.

Gaviscon ,Buscopan and smaller portions are my friends these days ....

Well done with the weight loss.

I do wish restaurants would serve food in smaller portions. Many places seem to use quantity as their seling point rather than quality. I do not want my plate heaped with chips! In fact I do not wnat any chips at all.
I agree with you about portion sizes CGN.

I know it is wrong but I feel compelled to eat what is put in front of me being born in the era of rationing when you cleared your plate.

I also feeĺ especialĺy compelled if I am paying good money in a restaurant to ask for a doggy bag for any left overs and will take home and eat them later.

It is a constant battle to keep weight already lost off and lose more if possible.

How many times a week? - Ambo
DIY pizzas are quite easy. Use an ordinary bread dough with olive oil as fat and a bit more salt than usual. Roll out, add toppings and bake on a metal sheet, or use a round Pyrex plate if you want to trim off first for a regular shape.
> I also feeĺ especialĺy compelled if I am paying good money in a restaurant to
>> ask for a doggy bag for any left overs and will take home and eat
>> them later.

How do you get on with UK restaurants when you ask?
 How many times a week? - Clk Sec
>> I also feeĺ especialĺy compelled if I am paying good money in a restaurant to
>> ask for a doggy bag for any left overs
>>
>> How do you get on with UK restaurants when you ask?

Asking for a doggy bag was common practice in the 1960/70s. My parents, who would dine out most days, would often request one to take a little treat home for Fido.
Never had a problem Sooty.
>> Never had a problem Sooty.
>>

Do you have to provide your own Doggy bag? I somehow can't see the average UK restaurant having suitable bags to hand. Not these days, anyway.
It is very common, perhaps usual, in Chile.

Even a 'posh' restaurant will happily supply a doggy bag. Rather than a bag though, they typically supply those light, polystyrene boxes.

My Mother in Law will *always* take home what she doesn't eat. If I'm honest it makes my toes curl, but there you are, its the Chilean way.
 How many times a week? - VxFan
>> Do you have to provide your own Doggy bag?

Some will wrap it in tin foil for you.
>> Never had a problem Sooty.
>>

Can't say I've ever asked anywhere. Seen in it the US quite a bit, probably on because the portions over there are vast. In this country I've not seen anyone ask though.
>> > I also feeĺ especialĺy compelled if I am paying good money in a restaurant
>> to
>> >> ask for a doggy bag for any left overs and will take home and
>> eat
>> >> them later.
>>
>> How do you get on with UK restaurants when you ask?

On my recent afternoon tea in a posh country house hotel, when Nooka and I couldnt finish off all the cakes, sarnies, pastries, scones, scotch eggs** and petit four from the groaning multi tiered sandwich stand, we asked for a "human bag"

**my good lord, small hand made scotch eggs made from quails eggs, whites perfectly cooked, yoke just softy viscous, nom nom
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 16 Oct 17 at 12:57
>> Well done with the weight loss.
>>
>> I do wish restaurants would serve food in smaller portions. Many places seem to
>> use quantity as their seling point rather than quality. I do not want my plate
>> heaped with chips! In fact I do not wnat any chips at all.

Don't order chips. Problem solved.
Good tip.

Thanks
>>
>> Gaviscon ,Buscopan and smaller portions are my friends these days ....
>>

Money saving tip for you - a heaped teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda thoroughly stirred into a glass of water, and then down the hatch in one.

Best acid indigestion remedy of them all and 75p for about 50 doses.

Tastes foul, mind. ;-)
 How many times a week? - Bromptonaut
>> Money saving tip for you - a heaped teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda thoroughly stirred
>> into a glass of water, and then down the hatch in one.

My Father used same down in one method but with Magnesium Trisilicate rather than Bicarb. Equally foul.

IIRC there were several similar remedies with differing side effects. Some loosened the bowel others bunged up the works........
I actually took bicarbonate of soda before calling 111 in May...not recommended at aĺl .

Not only did it not help shift the pain but the foul taste caused me to repeatedly retch which only added to the tight acidic pain in my stomach.

When paramedics arrived at 4 am after a couple of hours of agony all I wanted was something to make the pain go away....

Prevention is better than cure and I always take a strip of Gaviscon and Buscopan with me now and simply eat less.
You have my sympathies, helicopter. I've suffered from night time acid indigestion on and off for years, and it can be excruciatingly painful. I had a similar experience to yours out of the blue last year after an all afternoon eating/drinking session. The pain woke me up around 2am, and I had a weird chest flutter and slight shortness of breath with it.

Ended up in A&E at 3am, had blood tests and an ECG, and they found nothing wrong. Conclusion was the same as yours, and they put the shortness of breath (never had it before or since) down to a panic attack which made sense as I was completely terrified.

I've gone on a diet (Slimming World) and with that comes a significant reduction in alcohol consumption anyway, but we now have a self imposed 6 alcohol free days a week, enjoying a couple of beers or glasses of wine on a Saturday night only. I've lost 2 stone (still 2 stone overweight, mind) and it's made a massive difference. I reckon I get one attack a month now, instead of most nights as before. Weight is still coming off at the rate of 1-2 lb a week and I feel better in myself than I've felt in years.
 How many times a week? - henry k
>> My Father used same down in one method but with Magnesium Trisilicate
>>
Memories ! When I was still at school I also worked in a chemist in the evenings and weekends .
One of my tasks was to make up Winchesters of the stuff.
( Elf n safety ? A kid making medicines? My how things in a pre pack era have changed )
It was widely prescribed by doctors in that era as was " Kaolin & Morphine"

I also used to deliver lots of liquid Morphine to customers. Racing round to themon a butchers bike. .

You indigestion wallahs do well to get to A&E as fast as possible. Both my heart attacks felt like indigestion, both times we rushed to A&E, the first time by a 27 ambulance under lights and music. The second time by SWM's car. It felt like backache coupled with trapped wind. It was easier to sit up as lying down made it worse. First one in 94, I passed out on the gurney and was treated with Streptokynase. The second, in 2013 ended up with a triple by-pass.

My daughter, the paramedic, says use the ambulance every time if you're unsure, they won't mind or judge you. They're paid to do the job and are pleased to do it.

But don't step under a train like one of last week's callouts....it's messy !

>> But don't step under a train like one of last week's callouts....it's messy !

In the police and paramedic world its called "a one under" We had a double lovers suicide round here, they called it "2 one unders" as no-one would know what a "two under" was.
As no-one would know what
>> a "two under" was.
>>

Not many golfing paramedics eh?
A friend of mine had a triple by-pass in his late 40s, and he still looks a healthy and fit specimen now at 83.
As mentioned elsewhere, cut down on sweet stuff and beer. Made a big difference. BP was good when recently tested. We walk miles with the dogs, that helps ;-) Only rarely asked for a doggy bag...the last time was at this place:-

www.hydeoutbbq.com/

We very lucky on Anglesey. Loads of first class, top notch places to eat, especially in Menai Bridge and Beaumaris, the Indian in the Beau (as it is known locally) was incredible.
Latest Forum Posts