Non-motoring > Good to be alive Miscellaneous
Thread Author: corax Replies: 47

Good to be alive - corax
I was working this morning (outside), when I happened to look up, and saw the most incredible sky. There must have been at least 8 different types of cloud moving across the sky interlaced with streams from aircraft. The temperature was just right, bright sun, and a comfortable warmth. I was tempted to lie on my back and do some cloud gazing, it really was spectacular. It was just one of those feel good moments.

I'm based in the south east, I don't know what the rest of the country was like. Any other weather reports today?
 Good to be alive - mikeyb
Slightly moist and cloudy in Somerset.

Off camping in Cornwall on Saturday - not sure I picked the best week......
 Good to be alive - Bromptonaut
Agree with OP. Had a Fotherington-Tomas moment as train waited a platform at Euston c09:20 today - sky and clouds had an almost kaleidoscopic characteristic.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 19 Aug 10 at 21:59
 Good to be alive - Stuu
I had that thought the other night when I looked up at a clear sky, stars clear to be seen - the vastness of the night sky makes my head spin. I love it.
 Good to be alive - RattleandSmoke
Supposed to be going camping myself too this weekend, looks like it will be canceled and I will spend the night in yet the same old place.

Just hate the weather so much. However I guess the weather is why the UK produces such good music.
 Good to be alive - R.P.
Did a 400m drive from Falmouth to North Wales today - perfect road conditions in Cornwall/Devon and Somerset gave an outstanding chance to reflect on the beauty of the area, loved the Severn crossing, which is as good as anything we crossed in Florida - nice drive through the borderlands of the Marches along the A49 - although it was busier, a most enjoyable trundle along these ancient routes - trouble is I want a faster car now again !
 Good to be alive - Ted

We're off camping as well, on Sunday, for a few days to the Trough of Bowland with friends.
Well, when I say camping, it's in the caravan with telly, hot shower, etc, etc. But at least I'll be under canvas, in the awning.
Never know what the wevver will be like up there !

Ted
 Good to be alive - R.P.
After a rest at home tonight, off to the Lakes tomorrow camping, 2 chaps, two tents and two 125s - bike loaded tonight, oil has been changed....weather looks crap.
 Good to be alive - Badwolf
Have a good weekend, PU. Where are you heading for?
 Good to be alive - R.P.
Thanks, any camp site near a pub ideally near Kendal,Bowness, Ambleside....have a credit card in to shelter under if it rains...
 Good to be alive - CGNorwich
"if it rains"

check out the forecast and start building an ark
 Good to be alive - R.P.
We've seen the forecast - never let it be said we weren't warned - seriously the guy I'm going with is pretty experienced.
Sounds good PU, I love the Lakes - no, I *adore* the Lakes. Don't get there often enough though. We're off to stay in Dieselboy's mother-in-law's caravan just outside Cockermouth at the start of October and I can't wait. My phone will be turned off, and my watch will be put in a drawer. We'll get up when we wake, eat when we're hungry and go to bed when we're tired. Time is a human invention and I do get sick of the convention of eat breakfast at 8, lunch at 12, tea at 6.

May I recommend this campsite? www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=1693&map=on#maphere

Not where you orignally said you were going, but it's a great location and you can womble into Coniston and sit in the sunshine outside the Sun Inn (it WILL be sunny...) with a pint of the local brew.
 Good to be alive - Fullchat
We stayed at the Park Copice the Caravan Club site at Coniston the year of the floods 2007. Nice campsite but very busy that August. It was rainy as well and somehow camping did not have the appeal of the caravan.
I've stayed there too - lovely site. Nice walk to the shores of Coniston, then sit there watching the boats whilst sipping a glass of sparkling wine that's chilling in one of the little brooks than run into the lake.

Bit of a dodgy drive from Torver though - worryingly narrow roads!
 Good to be alive - rtj70
Ooops. Not 2007... It was 2008 we were there. And we had some heavy rain... a few weeks later it flooded that area.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 19 Aug 10 at 23:38
 Good to be alive - Bigtee
Had a good trip camping to dalby forrest in april was great weather through the day went cycling around the forrest and at night the starts were all open to see, Then the temperature dropped and we froze our gonads off 2 deg had to get a camp fire going to keep warm lots of smoke but warm!!
 Good to be alive - bathtub tom
Welcome back PU. Enjoy Cornwall? Seems you need a bit of hair-shirt to get over it. Perhaps you should take Badwolf with you.
>> Perhaps you should take Badwolf with you.

With me as pillion, PU's bike would never get going! I know that traction for the back wheel is a Good Thing, but you can have too much of a Good Thing...
Saturday going to Betws-Y-Coed for a week and then on to Southern Ireland for another week.
 Good to be alive - R.P.
Shame I'm away or I'd have popped over to Betws to annoy you !
If you fancy a break on your journey PU, feel free to pop into sunny Southport - there'll be a warm welcome, a brew and a bacon butty awaiting you :-)
 Good to be alive - Armel Coussine
For months now I have been moving from place to place. For the past couple of weeks more often than before, usually between well-found flats and houses in posh and pleasant parts of London and the area of outstanding natural beauty where I will soon be living full-time. Now we have ten days in a very nice house south of Notting Hill Gate sitting a very paranoid cat while its owners are away. I will be 72 on the first day of Carnival which reaches to within walkers of here.

Sounds great, and in a way it is. But I am heartily sick of humping luggage in and out of a car on yellow lines with its flashers going and in and out of buildings and up and down stairs, and rushing about keeping the damn jalopy out of the hands of the authorities. There's just been too much of that and not enough knowing I will still be in the same place in three days' time. Looking forward to September in Brittany, no rushing about except perhaps train to Paris for a day or so.

As I say, sounds great and I know I have nothing to gripe about. Or I wouldn't have if I was 30 years younger and didn't give a damn.
AC - a very happy birthday in advance!

May I just say that I would have had not the foggiest notion that you were approaching 72 had you not just admitted to such. Your outlook on life, and the posts you make on here (and the last place) had me thinking that you were much younger.

I'd wager that a pint or four in your company would be time very well spent :-)
>> happy birthday in advance!

Thank you Badwolf.

>> had me thinking that you were much younger.

But you're not calling me immature are you?

:o}
"Shame I'm away or I'd have popped over to Betws to annoy you ! "

Ships in the night.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 20 Aug 10 at 00:32
 Good to be alive - Iffy
...Shame I'm away or I'd have popped over to Betws to annoy you...

I'd like to think I could annoy you without having to travel to Wales to do it. :)
 Good to be alive - Dog
- - - -> However I guess the weather is why the UK produces such good music. <- - - -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdnqEyToqg

:)
 Good to be alive - Dog
>>Off (((camping in Cornwall))) on Saturday - not sure I picked the best week<<

This warning is probably too late but ... *very* heavy rain will come in from the West Sunday night/early Monday morn :(
 Good to be alive - BiggerBadderDave
There have been a few skies of late that have had the wow factor. One stopped me in my tracks the other day while I was on a bike ride, it was so unusual I wondered if I was still on planet earth.

For those campers who like to keep things small, quiet and simple I can recommend a fantastic book. It's called "Tiny Campsites - discover Britain's little pockets of camping bliss ...all an acre or under" It's written by Guardian travel writer Dixe Wills who has visited all 75 of these bijou sites by bike or public transport. It's a gorgeous little touchy feelie book, matt laminated with exquisite hand-drawn typography, and slightly 'off the wall' approach in its editorial.

I'm not trying to plug it but I did design it and it really got me wanting to get back under canvas again.
 Good to be alive - R.P.
Dave,

Thanks for the info - just ordered mine from Amazon - 6.57 delivered, nice autumn read one hopes !
 Good to be alive - R.P.
Arrived today 6.50 from Amazon - nice book, splendid winter reading.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Fri 3 Sep 10 at 21:28
It's a lovely book isn't it? The cover is a comp of four images - the sky, the tent and people, the grass and the two daisies. I'm credited on page 192!

The Cool Camping series is fantastic and has won awards for design. I'm reading the Cool Camping Cookbook at the moment and it's fab.
 Good to be alive - R.P.
I found your credit on the second gallop through.
 Good to be alive - borasport
Well we are off to Cheddar next week, and hoping the weather reverts to yesterdays mode, not todays - i.e it's cold, windy, wet with thunder and lightning.
Don't come to Bolton for a holiday :-)

Good to be alive - Auntie Lockbrakes
Make the most of this weekend's weather - it'll be far worse next weekend, it's August Bank Holiday remember..? ;-)
 Good to be alive - Perky Penguin
For those interested in identification of clouds, and images of them I recommend

cloudappreciationsociety.org/gallery/

and if you want to something bizarre look for anything lenticular and for "Kelvin-Helmholz" in the search section
 Good to be alive - tyro
One man and his Ka.

Empty highland road.

Wall to wall blue sky.

The weather is purple, the rowan berries are red, the lochs are an unbelievable deep blue, and the air is so clear that it seems one can see every detail in the distant hills.
(For a possible explanation of the latter phenomenon, see: tinyurl.com/38nzany )

I turn on the radio to check the time. I can't get Radio 4, so try Classic FM. The play Bach's Cantata Wachet Auf.

This life doesn't really get much better.

And when I get home, I open the front door, and there in the front hall before me is a brand new Honda.

But that's for another thread.

:-)

Good to be alive - Runfer D'Hills
Nice Tyro, very nice. I can picture the scene now. Might be just slightly jealous too. Beautiful, wild, part of the world.
 Good to be alive - corax
>> Nice Tyro, very nice. I can picture the scene now. Might be just slightly jealous
>> too. Beautiful, wild, part of the world.

Love it up there. The copious amount of rain is what makes it such a fantastic place to be on a dry day. I've been on top of a mountain called Suilven above the clouds with no sound except for slight rustling of the wind. Bliss.
 Good to be alive - R.P.
Had one of them days today - woken up by the recycling lorry at 7.45 was the low point - perfect day thereafter - walk the dog, saw a woodpecker pecking away at a telegraph pole - brilliant, leisurely breakfast, then a 50 mile trip on the Kawasaki (needs to be run in) over the Llanberis Pass, drop down to Beddgelert - both lakes, Dinas and Gwynant mirror smooth perfectly reflecting the mountains, the only ripples were fish jumping - even here I could smell the salt from the sea at Porthmadog - try doing that in a hermetically sealed air conditioned, pollen filtered tin box ! Down to Black rock sands, then back via Porth y Gest - all picture perfect with few tourists and little traffic.....Coffee in the Big Rock in Port then back along the main road to Caernarfon, 4000 revs equating to 60mph...perfect. Back home sanded a bench down and painted. Nice walk with wife and dog down to Llanberis lake - an amble and swim later (him not us) - back home, then out to a very nice Italian on the pier in Bangor roof down on the MX5. Home now nicely mellow after a couple of beers. Sweet....
 Good to be alive - Zero
>> Had one of them days today -

And you want to go back to work? I hope care in the community is active round your way
 Good to be alive - R.P.
Winter will be grim up here Zero - only for a day a week !
 Good to be alive - tyro
Did I really write "The weather is purple"?

I meant to write "The heather is purple."

Of course, you guessed that. Either that, or you were probably mystified.
 Good to be alive - R.P.
I read it and it made perfect sense in a John Peel sort of way - it was purple here as well.
 Good to be alive - Zero
I have seen purple skies.
I have heard Purple Rain
I have written purple prose.... but I shouldn't have.

Spanish Mediterranean coast, Tarragona, it was a long time ago but the sky one evening was an absolutely incredible purple colour, the sea too... they say it can be like that in the Aegean too but I've only seen that from 36,000 feet.
Latest Forum Posts