Non-motoring > Fur coats today Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 70

Fur coats today - legacylad
Clearing out the last of my late Aunts wardrobe... the two 1940s fur coats, and fur stoal, now aired and ready to be donated somewhere.
But my local charity shops won’t accept them, and I’ll email the Salvation Army to see if they accept them if I deposit in their clothing collection bin
Seems a shame for them to go to landfill....if I were going to France or Italy I bet their charity shops might accept them?
My local theatrical don’t want them either... I’m happy to post out to anyone who could make use of them
 Fur coats today - Focal Point
Had a similar problem with my late mother's three fur coats. I sent them to the local auction house. Apparently dealers will buy them to be cut up into smaller items. I certainly got very little for them. As garments they seem unmarketable.
Thanks FP
I never thought of that.....I’ll give two local auctioneers a ring. And I have contacts In thespian circles so maybe they may want them for the wardrobe department, although my local Am Dram didn’t
 Fur coats today - Hard Cheese
Frankly I think it's great that there is no demand for used fur coats, hopefully the same will apply to new ones and the original owners of the fur will be able to keep them in the future.

I'd burn them LL, just in case they cause someone else to develop a taste for fur.

I'm no tree hugger though fur farming is a totally inappropriate way to treat another creature.

I read the other day that one of the major fashions houses is dropping fur from next year, a good move.
 Fur coats today - R.P.
www.peta.org.uk/action/donate-fur-peta/
 Fur coats today - Duncan
>> www.peta.org.uk/action/donate-fur-peta/
>>

I can understand and have a certain amount of sympathy with PETA's cause.

However, where do you stop? If you can't keep and rear animals for fur, what about keeping them to eat? From there it's a short step - it seems to me - to declare that keeping an animal for amusement is equally wrong.

Or am I wrong?
 Fur coats today - Zero

>> From there it's a short step - it seems to
>> me - to declare that keeping an animal for amusement is equally wrong.
>>
>> Or am I wrong?

Yes, my dog keeps me for amusement.
 Fur coats today - Clk Sec
Slight drift here, but none of our charity shops were remotely interested in a perfectly good Singer sewing machine which was eventually taken to the tip.

On another occasion I left word with a charity who arrange collection of used furniture items, but as they didn't call me back when offered a lovely Bridgecraft 3 piece suite, I put a free add in the local rag and sold it for £65 to a couple for their new conservatory.
 Fur coats today - henry k
>> Slight drift here, but none of our charity shops were remotely interested in a perfectly
>> good Singer sewing machine which was eventually taken to the tip.
>>
I have three to get rid of.
IIRC my a local sewing machine shop I if it still exists ) will accept them and then they pass on to a charity and then to a third world for re use.
>> I have three to get rid of.
>> IIRC my a local sewing machine shop I if it still exists ) will accept
>> them and then they pass on to a charity and then to a third world
>> for re use.

I also tried our local sewing machine shop, but they were no more interested than the charity shops and they've long since ceased trading.
 Fur coats today - Mike Hannon
My next-door neighbour here was on some kind of 'workfare' arrangement since before we knew him until he retired a couple of years ago.
He told me the other day that he blamed Brigitte Bardot for being out of work. For years he was a craftsman maker of fur coats - this area is/was big for manufacture of fur/leather fashion wear and accessories - and she wore his company's products and boosted the business. Then she became an animal rights activist, the market collapsed and he found himself in the street.
More than 30 years ago I was stopped in the street in Taunton by a group of activists who harangued me about the (obviously fake) fur Horne Bros car coat I was wearing. They said I was just encouraging the dreadful trade in the real thing. What can you do? Incidentally, I've still got that coat and I sometimes wear it in the depth of the usually freezing winter here.
I'd wear the real thing, too. Very warm and practical. By and large, they're only animals, aren't they?
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Fri 13 Oct 17 at 10:29
 Fur coats today - bathtub tom
>>none of our charity shops were remotely interested in a perfectly good Singer sewing machine

I've found they get snapped up if offered on Freegle or Freecycle.
Does your local college or uni do fashion design course, they're often welcome.
 Fur coats today - CGNorwich
The animals from which much of the fur came, farmed mink and coypu, got their revenge. Escaped coypu (nutria) cost a fortune and took years to eradicate. Feral mink are still with us wreaking havoc on wildlife and poultry.
 Fur coats today - helicopter
Saw a shop in Bluewater last month with an entire window full of old sewing machines as a display, must have been 40 or more...for the life of me I cannot recall what they were selling, possibly fashion but remarked upon it to SWMBO.

Two years ago she bought a sewing machine in Lidl..still in the box.

As an aside, fur shops abound in Crete to cater for the Russian holidaymaker market.

As far as disposal of fur goes, I could not even get rid of an old sheepskin rug to a charity shop and I too suggest a bonfire .
 Fur coats today - Mapmaker
>> Saw a shop in Bluewater last month with an entire window full of old sewing
>> machines as a display, must have been 40 or more...for the life of me I
>> cannot recall what they were selling, possibly fashion but remarked upon it to SWMBO.

All Saints. A clothing shop of some sort. They have old sewing machines in the windows of all(?) their shops. When they go bust they will all be sent to landfill and that will be a real shame, there won't be any left in the land.
Do they have bare patches or do they smell musty? Assuming not then I probably know somebody who would like them. If that sounds like a good idea would you be so kind as to send me a picture please? email in profile.

Whatever you think of fur farming, those animals died many years ago. They wouldn't ever have been alive in the first place if they hadn't been bred for their fur. What certainly seems wrong is for them to be given to Peta to be covered in fake blood and used in protests. That, to me, strikes me as utterly immoral and wasteful.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 13 Oct 17 at 11:05
 Fur coats today - R.P.
Still big business in Crete (nearly typed Crewe there !) - Russians love to buy them
 Fur coats today - helicopter
Two minds think alike R.P. !>> Still big business in Crete (nearly typed Crewe there !) - Russians love to buy
>> them
>>
 Fur coats today - R.P.
:-)....Should have typed "Crewe" - missed your post.
& there would be a financial charitable donation to go with it.
 Fur coats today - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggk8g_p-Thg

There's always the possibility of a a car4play duet.
 Fur coats today - Mike Hannon
Fur coats are still pretty common in the streets of Italy.
Some people think Peta is not far from being a terrorist organisation.
 Fur coats today - No FM2R
>>Some people think Peta is not far from being a terrorist organisation

I would be one of them.
>> >>Some people think Peta is not far from being a terrorist organisation
>>
>> I would be one of them.
>>

And me.

Though I fully support banning fur.
 Fur coats today - Zero
>> >>Some people think Peta is not far from being a terrorist organisation

I have some sympathy with their cause, but I would throw them all in jail for their methods.
 Fur coats today - Cliff Pope
Is the thinking that although fur is just like leather really, which doesn't attract the same approbrium, the difference is that leather is usually just a by-product of an animal farmed for something more substantial, ie the meat, whereas fur is bred solely for fur?

If so, surely it's a rather specious argument, as both involve the exploitation and killing of animals for human use.
I know some people do shun leather as a point of principle, but the majority either use it without qualm or at least tolerate its usefulness.
Do activists make exceptions, eg for rabbit fur, if the meat has been used for consumption?
>> Is the thinking that although fur is just like leather really,

No. It's entirely flawed argument based on anthropomorphisation of cuddly animals. Sheep and cows aren't cuddly. Foxes and mink are.

(Obviously.)

It's just downright stupidity with no logic behind it.

>> It's just downright stupidity with no logic behind it.
>>

Fur farms farming mink, rabbit etc are totally different from conventional farming.
 Fur coats today - Zero
>> cuddly. Foxes and mink are.

Have you ever tried to cuddle a fox or a mink? I can assure you it will be an unpleasant and very berloody experience. Possibly life changing depending on what they got latched onto.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 13 Oct 17 at 13:48
 Fur coats today - Zero
>> Is the thinking that although fur is just like leather really, which doesn't attract the
>> same approbrium,

Quite right too. Leather seats are classy and practical, fur seats are knobby and impractical.
 Fur coats today - Duncan
>> would you
>> be so kind as to send me a picture please? email in profile.

No. T'aint
 Fur coats today - TheManWithNoName
Have you tried your local RSPCA animal rescue centre?
They often require donations of blankets and things for unwell animals or to help them settle in.
Cuddling up to real fur might be the next best thing for an orphaned animal.
 Fur coats today - Zero
cept of course you can easily wash and disinfect blankets for fleas and stuff, you can't with furs.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 13 Oct 17 at 13:46
 Fur coats today - zippy
Can't abide cruelty to animals.

Wouldn't have a problem with fur if the animals were well treated and fully utilised - e.g. food as well.

I was physically unable to eat pork for a while after seeing a pig totally brutalised in an abattoir for fun.

All our meat now comes from a farm where the animals are left free in the fields and treated with respect.
 Fur coats today - Runfer D'Hills
About 40 years ago, a friend who was then a meat eater, got a summer job in a chicken "processing" plant. Live chickens at one end and packaged meat at the other.

He has been a vegetarian ever since. The facility employed full time workers and casual labour. Some were students like him and a few people who were on day release from a local mental institution, presumably to help them integrate into a work place. The things he saw being done to the birds ( quite apart from the obvious official processes ) turned his stomach, and he has never been able to eat meat since. Anong other instances he recalls were impromptu lunch break football matches. He said he saw live chickens being used as a ball.

Glad I didn't see the things he did. I like meat.
 Fur coats today - Zero
>> Anong other instances he recalls were impromptu lunch break football matches. He said he saw
>> live chickens being used as a ball.

So? the thing was going to be killed, it don't get worse than that, and as long as it doesn't ruin the taste.

I should care. I went on a clicker training course, and we were all handed a chicken we had to name, and train to do tricks - you get quite tuned to their character.

I called mine Kiev.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 13 Oct 17 at 14:15
>>So? the thing was going to be killed, it don't get worse than that, and as long as it doesn't ruin the taste.

Oh come on, I assume that you're being facetious?
 Fur coats today - Zero
>> >>So? the thing was going to be killed, it don't get worse than that, and
>> as long as it doesn't ruin the taste.
>>
>> Oh come on, I assume that you're being facetious?

No of course not, its a ruddy chicken. I can't get emotionally attached to or disturbed by the fate of a chicken, one of 2.2 million consumed each day in the uk.
 Fur coats today - sooty123
>> No of course not, its a ruddy chicken. I can't get emotionally attached to or
>> disturbed by the fate of a chicken, one of 2.2 million consumed each day in
>> the uk.

>>

Would their welfare matter more if fewer were eaten per day?
 Fur coats today - Zero

>> Would their welfare matter more if fewer were eaten per day?

no.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 14 Oct 17 at 20:45
Does the welfare of any animal you eat concern you or not?
 Fur coats today - Zero
It gets eaten, of course it doesn't.

Unless its done to improve the safety and eating experience.
 Fur coats today - zippy

>> No of course not, its a ruddy chicken. I can't get emotionally attached to or
>> disturbed by the fate of a chicken, one of 2.2 million consumed each day in
>> the uk.

>>

There is a huge difference between a quick kill and torturing the thing and causing un-necessary pain.

People kicking or otherwise cruelly harming an animal - I wonder how far a step that is to doing it to someone's head - in many cases I doubt that the perpetrators would give two hoots as to the difference, but today, I hope that they would go to jail for it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 14 Oct 17 at 20:46
 Fur coats today - Zero
>
>> There is a huge difference between a quick kill and torturing the thing and causing
>> un-necessary pain.

OF course there is, its not necessary, but I am not going to jump up and down, lose any sleep or even give a second thought about it the next time I eat my Chicken and Avocado sandwich.

Well, being killed does indeed sound like a bad day out. But being tortured and then killed sounds a whole lot worse.
 Fur coats today - bathtub tom
I spent one shift in a chicken processing factory. Live chickens in, whole carcasses out.
I was forever cleaning the electrodes of the stunner that became clogged with feathers as I couldn't get to grips with an alert chicken having its throat cut.
Feeling their legs break as you held them against contra-rotating rubber fingers for final plucking was somewhat unsettling as well.
>> So? the thing was going to be killed, it don't get worse than that,

Not sure that anyone facing the prospect of being hung, drawn and quartered a few hundred years ago would agree with that, Zeddo.

Fur coats today - Zero
No-one expects that
>> About 40 years ago, a friend who was then a meat eater, got a summer
>> job in a chicken "processing" plant. Live chickens at one end and packaged meat at
>> the other.

Similarly working in a biscuit/chocolate factory put me off biscuits for a while. I don't mind the odd one now and again but I bet I don't eat more than 10 or so a year, can't remember the last time I had a choccy bar. Not that I'm saying it was traumatic or anything but the smell of all that chocolate and sugar in industrial quantities put me off for quite a while. It's not like anything I've smelt before or sense. Plus the novelty of free unlimited biscuits soon wore off.
 Fur coats today - R.P.
We went out for a spot of lunch today - oddly sitting at the next table was a lady (despite the outside temperature being 18 degrees) wearing a full fur (may have been faux) but something you rarely see these days.
>>(despite the outside temperature being 18 degrees)

Its a cold spring day here in Santiago - currently 17degrees. I am wearing Timberland boots, thick jeans, t-shirt, rugby shirt and a large fleece.

Also have the heater on in my office.

Its what you're used to. I stop wearing the fleece at around 20 degrees and summer clothes get worn at around 30 degrees.

I love the weather in England, but I freeze my a*** off the whole time I'm there.
Yellow boots?

Class !

;-)
Sort of a tan colour.
Didn't the shop have any yellow ones?
Well, yes they did, but one does have to be a little careful as to they type of person one uses as a role model.

One doesn't wish to mislead viewers.
 Fur coats today - Duncan
>> We went out for a spot of lunch today - oddly sitting at the next
>> table was a lady (despite the outside temperature being 18 degrees) wearing a full fur
>> (may have been faux) but something you rarely see these days.
>>

I enjoy a spot of lunch, only a spot, mind.

However, perhaps she is an ardent contributor to this forum and this thread reminded her to get her fur out of the fridge?
The opposite...

Worked at Mars, stuffed myself on their products for years. Love the smell, love Milky Way the best but love them all, can't get decent chocolate in Chile (well, until this last year or so)

Ditto with Associated Biscuits, and also you can't get decent biscuits in Chile.

Also with Burger King in Miami, where the staff restaurant is a Burger King. That was a nightmare, I loved the place. You can get Burger King in South America, so I still eat that quite often.

Fur coats today - R.P.
However, perhaps she is an ardent contributor to this forum and this thread reminded her to get her fur out of the fridge?

It wasn't Pat, of that I'm sure ! :-)

>>...of that I'm sure ! :-)

You know how things just pop into your head sometimes... ;-)

tinyurl.com/ycswrtzt
 Fur coats today - Ted

Dragging this back onto it's furry thread, SWM had a grey tant on her dad's side, one of the generation born about 1880, who made good. She married a Wall Street banker and they bought a nice house on Long Island. Towards the end of her life in the late 60s, now widowed with no offspring, she was being looked after at home by a nun.

Nun found out about FiL and got in touch by letter. Well, this ended up with FiL and us being sent all sorts of parcels as the Nun was clearing the house of clutter a bit. I assume grey tant was a millionairess. We got a lot of stuff of little value to us, new bedding that just had to be chucked, crockery, all sorts. Cheques arrived now and again...SWM to be and I got one for 5000 dollars drawn on the Chemical bank of New York Directors account. Lot of money when I was on about £24 a week and she was a student.

Now the exciting bit....one huge parcel arrived, in it was full length Raccoon coat for FiL, a pure white Ermine jacket for MiL, something, possibly a Mink stole for SWM and for Teddy ? A black overcoat lined from collar to hem in wild Mink with a black Sealskin collar. None of which were of any use (or size) to us. The nun actually came over after the old girl croaked and stayed for a week with the in-laws. She was a cantankerous old biddy. I ran her back to the airport on her last day. I had a Super Minx ragtop, it was Winter and as soon as she got in the car she snarled " Don't any of the cars over here have goddammed heaters?" Nice, should have let her get the bus !

A good few weeks were spent looking at these things and pondering on their future. This was the height of the sixties and FiL was in the rag trade. After a few phone calls, he and I drove down to London and hawked them around the Carnaby Street area. They were almost fought over and we drove home with good money in our pockets. I think the 2 coats made about a ton each...a month's wages for my share. I think the jacket and stole made similar so we got a couple of hundred as did the in-laws

I think we let them keep the moths for free !

Oops, swear filter didn't like me calling the Yankee a Banker dealing with merchants !
Thanks for advice on what to do with the fur coats.... I’ll action it when I return from Scotland week after next
Better go and pack....it’s grim up north, especially Speyside on Monday when we have a 16 mile rainy trudge from Aviemore back to Grantown. Mr Hip won’t be happy. Thank goodness for paracetamols
 Fur coats today - DeeW
I donated my mother's mink stole to a dashing gentleman who drives a Morgan, top down year round, to keep his shoulders and back of the neck warm in the depths of winter. Tucks nicely under his shearling coat.
Last edited by: DeeW on Thu 19 Oct 17 at 14:36
 Fur coats today - Dog
>>I donated my mother's mink stole to a dashing gentleman who drives a Morgan

Stole is the right word for it too - stolen from howl many Mink??

csglobe.com/how-are-animals-killed-to-make-fur-products/
Killing animals to make fur coats? Who cares. We kill them to make shoes, jackets, gloves, why should it be different just because its got fur attached??

Breeding animals for fur and being mean to them is obviously unacceptable.

But surely if fur is wrong, leather is wrong. If one is ok, then so is the other.

We object to mistreating of animals, don't we? Whatever the purpose; Fur, leather, eggs or steak.

The whole fur thing is ridiculous anthropomorphic s***e from the trendily right-on.
 Fur coats today - CGNorwich
There some who would say it is wrong to kill animals for fur, leather or food and neither eat meat or use animal products.

I suppose that is at least a coherent point of view.
>> There some who would say it is wrong to kill animals for fur, leather or
>> food and neither eat meat or use animal products.
>>
>> I suppose that is at least a coherent point of view.

Precisely. It at least makes sense, even if one doesn't support it.
 Fur coats today - DeeW
Dog, my mother was given this stole in 1939 when attitudes were quite different. Would it have made it better if it had just been sent to landfill? or for it to be worn to give warmth nearly eighty years later?
 Fur coats today - Manatee
There was a mink farm about half a mile from the pub my father used to go to. One night he went there, and ended up catching an escaped mink between the outer and inner door.

The mink farm paid 50p (it was a long time ago) for any mink they got back, so he rang them up and five minutes later a very smelly mink farmer arrived wearing large leather gauntlets, gathered up the mink and put it in a cage.

My father said "what about the 50p?" The farmer said "Oh, it's not one of ours", so Dad said "I'll have it back then". He got the 50p.
 Fur coats today - Dog
It was the word stole which sparked me off Dee, he says, sitting here in his leather Timberland boots, leather belt, and leather watch strap.
 Fur coats today - rtj70
I know someone who got a MB C class with the fake leather because... well it was fake and they were vegan. Trouble is they also opted for a package that had MB fix any scratches and minor damage.... and the car arrived with a panel not right.... After many attempts it was still not right so the package was worthless on day one.

Car rejected and around a year later after ruling out most other 'premium' cars due to some leather.... Tesla S was purchased.

Not everyone wants leather but so many cars in the premium end of the market have it, especially steering wheels*. My car and the previous two had leather interiors.

* The MB C Class comes with a leather steering wheel.... they got it as a fake leather covered wheel after a LOT of hassle. Car still not as it should have been quality wise.
 Fur coats today - Dog
I bought a faux leather office chair about 10 years ago. I didn't buy it because it wasn't leather though.
It looks okay IMO (well, it did!) It has started to look a bit shabby now though, whereas leather (good leather) would still be looking good.

I keep meaning to replace it, but it's quite comfortable so I hang on to it - I actually prefur sitting in it than sitting on one of the sofas.

Oh oh, Beau the Beauceron has my loaf (the whole!) in his gob, so my eggs on toast is orf the menu today!!!
Latest Forum Posts