Non-motoring > Been on TV? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 78

Been on TV? - Rudedog
Just seen my two children (20's) on the Antiques Roadshow (Nymans) as some of the 'over the shoulder' onlookers (we didn't make the cut!).

We were there all day and it just goes to show how much of what we stood and watched wasn't shown even though they recorded loads of good stuff.

I'm surprised the Chinese plate and box that we watched being filmed for over an hour didn't make it, the expect ratted it very highly although I can't remember how much it was worth (many thousands)

All the presenters are very down to earth and are very much like how you see them.

Nice day out if you are able to go.
 Been on TV? - No FM2R
I just watched it. Which one were your children "over the shoulder" lookers on?
 Been on TV? - R.P.
That Rolex made it special !
 Been on TV? - Rudedog
On the third piece, two large blue chinese items, on the left my daughter is in black with reddish hair and a black hand-bag second row back, my son is next to her scruffy hair and trendy beard can just be seen behind a women with a blue top in the front row.
 Been on TV? - Hard Cheese
Yep, l playing cricket in Regents Park, about 25 years ago, a programme about the park.

Also I have been pictured on the front page of the Daily Telegraph twice ...
 Been on TV? - Cliff Pope
No - the nearest I've ever come to a recorded public appearance was a photograph in the Stamford Mercury in 1956, of me and my cousin bottle-feeding some lambs in a field.

A friend who took something to the show said that the exiting scenes were stage-managed afterwards, with a selected audience of interested "onlookers", and the players re-did their lines -
"I found it in a skip"
"You're looking at about £50,000. Probably £100,000 if you get it repaired"
" Well, I'm amazed. It's been in the garage for 20 years under a pile of junk"
 Been on TV? - DP
I was easily recognisable in a crowd shot at the England vs Windies One Day International at Old Trafford a couple of weeks ago. A mate of mine took a picture of his telly screen and sent me the pic on WhatsApp.

I had a pint in my hand and looked fairly alert considering I was actually three sheets to the wind. When presented with a free bar all afternoon after checking into a hotel within easy staggering distance, it would have been rude not to :-)

I do enjoy "entertaining customers"...
 Been on TV? - Haywain
A friend and I were photographed for an Observer supplement in about '91. The article was about pubs in East Anglia; we were doing the Peddar's Way walk and had stopped off at the Ostrich at Castle Acre. The photographer bought us a couple of beers, and we just sat and looked at the OS map.

I was spotted on local tv news 2 years ago at the war memorial for a Remembrance ceremony and I was on tv playing my Gibson Chet Atkins at the Carnegie* about 20 years ago.

* OK, the Carnegie Rooms, Thetford.
 Been on TV? - sooty123
Been in the local newspaper a couple of times, nothing terrible exciting either occasion. One when I was about 5 the next time I was about 25.
 Been on TV? - CGNorwich
I was once filmed by Anglia Railways on Norwich station for an advert. I said " The service was much improved". They liked that and the advert was widely screened and I took a lot of stick from my London commuting colleagues who didn't agree.

The reward was a couple of free first class tickets to Liverpool Street. I took my wife for a day out in London. Returning to the station in the evening the indicator boards were a sea of red cancellations. The journey home took six hours instead of the scheduled one hour fifty minutes.
 Been on TV? - Zero
The missus and I featured in a 4 page photo article in a popular womans weekly in about 87. Photographers to the home, set the scenario, the works
We got £100, instant notoriety from our friends and disgust from my mother. It wasn't even salacious.
 Been on TV? - Boxsterboy
I was on Top Gear - the one when JC drove the blue Peel car into the BBC offices. I am clearly visible in the crowd when they chat about the car in the studio/hanger. It was a great day out.
 Been on TV? - Duncan
>> I featured in a 4 page photo article in a popular womans
>> weekly in about 87. Photographers to the home, set the scenario, the works
>> It wasn't
>> even salacious.
>>

I suppose they didn't want to ask you to do anything that would be too difficult.
 Been on TV? - Zero
>> I suppose they didn't want to ask you to do anything that would be too
>> difficult.

And for 100 quid I wasn't prepared to put in too much effort.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 9 Oct 17 at 11:13
>> Also I have been pictured on the front page of the Daily Telegraph twice ...
>>
>>

Since you ask ;-)

The first time was as a teenager in the 70's queuing to see the Tutankhamun exhibition at the Royal Academy with my family, apparently unprecedented queues, the photographer caught an artistic shot with the snake like queue stretching away from him (and us).

The second time was mid '80s, commuting into Waterloo Station, midwinter and heavy snow, the train stopped just outside Vauxhall station, the power went off and it was freezing, eventually some BR bods trudged up the line and told us to climb down and walk up to Vauxhall, the photographer caught me climbing down from the train door onto the snow covered line.
 Been on TV? - Dog
I used to go and watch the likes of Chas and Dave, Diane Abbott's brother, Russ. Jim Davidson etc. at London Weekend Television back in the 1980's.

The security staff were always giving me tickets for the shows as I used to look after their cars.

I can well-remember the bar upstairs and the pub across the road called Studio 7 or something.
Where's such and such?, oh he's in studio 7!!!
 Been on TV? - Mike Hannon
Yes, and the Old Bill used to pay me for it.
Many years ago Somerset was trashed by Middlesex in a John Player League match at the County Ground in Taunton. When my sister and I got home from the game that evening I was surprised to find dinner already on the table. My wife said she was watching the match on TV and when we decided to leave early to avoid the car park chaos the camera was on us as we stood up to go. And the great John Arlott said 'and the disconsolate Somerset fans are beginning to trail away...'
 Been on TV? - bathtub tom
I was in a picture in The Firkin (CAMRA magazine) at a beer festival.

Not surprising really.
 Been on TV? - Crankcase
Years ago we went to Crufts. At one point a small dog scurried along with a bloke and a camera shuffling backwards in front of it.

A week or so later we saw an advert on the television for some dog food or other and as plain as you like you could see my dirty shoes, one with the lace undone.

Does that count?

Been on TV? - Zero

>> Does that count?

You poor sole, No it don't.
 Been on TV? - Crankcase
You're such a heel.
 Been on TV? - Zero
>> You're such a heel.

Well if eyelet you get away with it, you'll sticking out your tongue and walking all over us.
 Been on TV? - Focal Point
I was a member of a choir that sang on Songs of Praise (BBC) many years ago. It was a studio recording and surprisingly long, hard and uncomfortable work.
 Been on TV? - Duncan
Most weekends in the Winter.

I look even better on telly than I do in the flesh, but I must try not to get too conceited.
 Been on TV? - sooty123
What show is it that you're on ?
 Been on TV? - commerdriver
>> What show is it that you're on ?
>>
Perilously close to the who are you in real life? question
Not sure I want to know who anybody on here is in reality :-)
 Been on TV? - sooty123
>> >> What show is it that you're on ?
>> >>
>> Perilously close to the who are you in real life? question
>> Not sure I want to know who anybody on here is in reality :-)
>>

Not particularly, just if someone offers up that information it only seems natural to ask.
 Been on TV? - Duncan
I am involved in Premiership rugby. Nothing grand, I can assure you.
 Been on TV? - No FM2R
I've been interviewed a few times.

>>I look even better on telly than I do in the flesh

I look like a right pillock. Its a million times worse than listening to your own voice on a recording.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 9 Oct 17 at 14:40
 Been on TV? - Ted

I walked out of the office and across Gt George's Square in Huddersfield to go for a sandwich. I walked past a group of Asian girls towards a cameraman who was filming them being interviewed.

I thought no more of it until one Sunday afternoon some time later, half watching a political programme, when I appeared walking towards the camera and then past it.

I suppose I might be the only person on here who featured on a short documentary about FGM !
 Been on TV? - Bromptonaut
There were lengthy proceedings before the Special Immigration Appeals Committee regarding whether Katia Zatuliveter, aide/Mistress to Mike Hancock MP, should be deported as a spy. I could just be seen walking past while she was filmed outside the Committee's offices during a lunch adjournment - had been out to get my sandwich. As I said at time photographs flatter her - quite plain in the flesh.

Was interviewed for Look North Leeds on some special at Harewood Bird Garden in early 1995. I didn't maker the cut but my my then two year old daughter being a cute toddler running round and watching her favourites, the penguins, did.

I also had a part in a Public Trust Office training/publicity video called Caring for Linda. Mercifully, no copies survive.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 9 Oct 17 at 15:48
 Been on TV? - sooty123
Mercifully, no copies survive.

Make sure of that personally? ;-)
 Been on TV? - No FM2R
Mmmm, if it'd been me I would have changed the name of the video, just to be sure it wasn't going to show up.

Maybe you did.
 Been on TV? - Pat
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/3829441.stm

A whole days hard work filming for a 25 minute programme.

Pat
>> Mmmm, if it'd been me I would have changed the name of the video, just
>> to be sure it wasn't going to show up.
>>
>> Maybe you did.

Not end of world if a copy turned up; everyone else involved has aged 28 years too :-P
 Been on TV? - Robin O'Reliant
Myself and Mrs O'Reliant were in the audience for Question Time about twenty years ago when the bloke in front of us asked a question. We were clearly visible for a good minute, and a cousin who lived in Taunton at the time was watching and nearly fell off his sofa in surprise as he saw us.
 Been on TV? - No FM2R
Many years ago, I was at school, and for some reason we were permitted to watch a Wimbledon match on a television in the classroom, I really cannot remember why.

Anyway, as we watched we saw clearly one of our classmates in the crowd; she was supposedly out sick that day. Obviously we were all excited and determined to tease her about it the next day. I think we were 13, perhaps 14.

Rather sadly she died in a car accident on the way home from Wimbledon that evening.

Always stuck in my mind, that.
 Been on TV? - R.P.
Good grief Mark.
 Been on TV? - R.P.
Been on TV numerous times, a proper TV interview about Hate Crime back in 2007ish. I became a media w**** in July, practically on every night whilst gigging with the choir in Flanders, plus a photo in the local rag..!
 Been on TV? - Robin O'Reliant
>> Most weekends in the Winter.
>>
>>
>>
That's intriguing Duncan, any clues?
 Been on TV? - Duncan
>> That's intriguing Duncan, any clues?
>>

May I refer my learned friend to my post on Monday October 9th at 22.08?
 Been on TV? - PeterS
I went to Uni in Bristol, and lived in Redlands in my second year. That’s to the right of the top end of Whiteladies Road, which is where the BBC have (had?) a large office. A BBC producer lived next door to us. Being an extra in Casualty was a nice little earner (relatively speaking, for a student in the very early 90’s) at £50 cash per half day. The longer sessions for ‘999 Lifesavers’ with Michael Buerke paid better... £100 cash. It was 12 years until I next made it on TV, and that was only because I was living in Japan at the time. They wanted a ‘proper’ English speaker, not one of these American English ones ;) More recently, though actually another 12 years later, I’ve been on the Irish equivalent to Countryfile, callled ‘Ear to the ground’ extolling the virtues of renewable energy. That took so long to film that lunch at the rather nice pub I’d lined up, which it’s own microbrewery, had to be sacrificed :o

At this rate, watch out for my next appearance in 2027 ;)
>> Being an extra in Casualty was a nice little earner >>

I drove up to Imperial Park in Bristol one evening about ten years ago to find one of the big sports shops and buy some football boots for my two sons, as we headed down into a kind of roundabout/underpass we saw what looked like the aftermath of a serious road accident, I slammed on the brakes and put the hazards on - and then realised that there were a few people walking around with no sense of urgency - we had driven into a Casualty set.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Tue 10 Oct 17 at 09:50
 Been on TV? - martin aston
I was once on local TV being interviewed about local train services.

To plagiarise the great Alan Partridge it was never going to win an Oscar.......but it would have been nice to be nominated.
 Been on TV? - Timeonmyhands
B.I.L. and I went on Bullseye first series in 1981, recorded at ATV studio in Birmingham the year before it became Central. Some wag at my late company saw a repeat on Dave and recorded it ready to play at the next meeting. There's their MD with hair, a suit that looked as if it came from the "Sweeney" wardrobe and a tie with a knot the size of Anglesey. Mucho P taking.
 Been on TV? - VxFan
>> B.I.L. and I went on Bullseye first series in 1981

Did you ever find a use for the speedboat?
 Been on TV? - Roger.
A glimpse of me as part of the audience on BBC QT, early last year IIRC.
 Been on TV? - Dog
>>A glimpse of me as part of the audience on BBC QT, early last year

Ewe forgot to mention the missus was with you in the audi-ence Dodger.
 Been on TV? - Pat
At least I managed to stay incognito;)

Pat
>> I drove up to Imperial Park in Bristol one evening about ten years ago to
>> find one of the big sports shops and buy some football boots for my two
>> sons, as we headed down into a kind of roundabout/underpass we saw what looked like
>> the aftermath of a serious road accident,

In same sort of timeframe we were on a Aug BH break in Scarborough. What appeared to be an amusement arcade had appeared at south end of South Bay. beyond the Spa and close to where there was once an outdoor pool. Closer examination showed it to be of somewhat dated appearance with fifties style posters etc.

Part of set for an episode of The Royal involving an explosion and fire at an amusement park.
 Been on TV? - R.P.
By sure fluke...just had an e-mail informing me that Channel 4 are coming to record a choir rehearsal tomorrow, along with an unnamed celebrity...!
 Been on TV? - Runfer D'Hills
Shaun the sheep?
 Been on TV? - R.P.
Could be. He's English though
 Been on TV? - No FM2R
Shaun is English, isn't he? Created in Bristol, I think.

He's not good looking enough to be a Welsh sheep.
 Been on TV? - R.P.
Quite.
 Been on TV? - Runfer D'Hills
>> Could be. He's English though

I quite like him, despite that. Just goes to show really.
;-)
 Been on TV? - Fullchat
A few years ago, one snowy day. I was out on the Wolds in a company Discovery at a place called Garrowby Hill. The wind was blowing and creating a blizzard. I saw through the snow a guy layed on the road and another guy standing alongside. As I pulled up they turned out to be a two man film crew.
They were putting together a documentary about the clearing and gritting of the roads in East Yorkshire (or perceived lack of it).
Ended up with me getting involved in the filming with me assisting stranded drivers.
After the filming I was invited for a well earned breakfast.
When it was put together it was a 30 min local TV documentary entitled, wait for it ....................................... 'True Grit' ........................ I kid you not :))
 Been on TV? - legacylad
I’ve got a David Hockney art print of Garrowby Hill hanging in my lounge. Together with other prints of his depicting various seasons in E Yorks ( drawn on an ipad and on display at Salts Mill)
He’s a Bradford lad
Like me
Hockney. Not fullchat
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 10 Oct 17 at 23:17
 Been on TV? - Fullchat
Ironically LL. I am a Bradford lad :)
 Been on TV? - legacylad
There you go then Fullchat. A distant connection with Garrowby Hill ( my ex’s grandparents retired from Bfd to Brid so we went up & down G Hill several times a year) and ‘painted’ by a fellow Bradfordian.
I obviously like his style depicting that location
 Been on TV? - R.P.
It was Alan Carr that joined us, with a Channel 4 film crew. A genuinely funny and warm man. I find him quite irritating on the telly, slightly less so on R4 panel shows. But he joined in took photos and was photographed by the sopranos (mainly). Altos stood back and the tenors went for a beer.
Alan Carr, I wonder how much is real and how much is playing a character.

I mean is he a real soprano or might he normally talk like Ray Winstone ...
 Been on TV? - R.P.
He did say at one point during a rendition of Silent Night that he'd "never been that deep" - seemed like a genuinely decent bloke with no "side"
I wasn't being critical, some comedians and entertainers adopt a character, others just be themselves.
 Been on TV? - R.P.
Oh I know HC. I've mixed with the odd personality over the years, including, amazingly Sting back in 1981. He was on a location shoot and was staying at a place I used to frequent. He proved good company. Also there was Hywel Bennet, who quite frankly was a k**b.
 Been on TV? - No FM2R
>>Also there was Hywel Bennet, who quite frankly was a k**b.

Not the first time I've heard that.
 Been on TV? - R.P.
I barely spoke to him, but a local woman approached him for an autograph and he was really rude to her. Amazing night as I recollect more detail The landlord fell over drunk and Sting took over serving. That was the last time ever I drank Scotch. Enough said.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 12 Oct 17 at 12:22
Perhaps "Celebrities I have met" could be another thread.

Though I was only saying to Barak Obama the other day how I dislike name dropping ;-)
 Been on TV? - CGNorwich
I always think that If you want to go in for name dropping best to learn how the name is spelt! :-)
 Been on TV? - No FM2R
>> I always think that If you want to go in for name dropping best to
>> learn how the name is spelt!

That's right, Frank Sinartrar always used to tell me the same thing.
 Been on TV? - sooty123
Also there was Hywel Bennet, who
>> quite frankly was a k**b.
>>

I didn't recognise the name but his face seems vaguely familiar but I don't think I could name anything he's been in.
 Been on TV? - Pat
knob......why the asterisks, it's not in the swear filter!

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Thu 12 Oct 17 at 14:20
 Been on TV? - R.P.
I didn't want to give anyone the fit of the vapours or as Lud would say, vertigo.
 Been on TV? - Duncan
>> I didn't want to give anyone the fit of the vapours or as Lud would
>> say, vertigo.
>>

He was on telly quite a few times, wasn't he?
 Been on TV? - No FM2R
>> I don't think I could name anything he's been in

He's done quite a bit, but its a comedy series from the 80s series Shelley for which I remember him - which as I recall I always rather enjoyed.
 Been on TV? - Zero
He was very good as Ricki Tarr in the TV version of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
 Been on TV? - hawkeye
Yes, in a programme about Durham School. Aged about 15 I was filmed throwing a pot on a treadle wheel. I was kept busy for what seemed like hours to appear for a second or two. I was given a pair of headphones for my trouble; a couple of years later those same earphones were soldered into my valve TV set in 1969 so I could watch Apollo 11 on the moon without disturbing anyone else.
 Been on TV? - bathtub tom
Looking at a local newspaper and there I am, at a beer festival - again!
 Been on TV? - Rudedog
Looks like last weeks ARS at Nymans is a two parter, so I could be in for a second chance.. I wore my best pink shirt to stand out in the background.. fingers crossed you never know.

As I mentioned there was a Chinese plate and small box thing that they took ages to shoot and kept re-shooting so I'm sure that's going to be a valuable one.
Latest Forum Posts