Non-motoring > Tom Petty Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 9

Tom Petty - devonite
Alas another great musician has left the Building! - R.I.P Tom, I enjoyed your music!
 Tom Petty - Dog
>> R.I.P Tom, I enjoyed your music!

Likewise effendi. Just 66 years young but, lived 3 lives compared to most people.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv4-m-cIZf4 [runnin down a dream]
 Tom Petty - Haywain
R I P of course, but I never really became very interested in his music. I guess I found it a very competently-played average of everything else that I've ever heard.

That may be why I wasn't too impressed when, as a multi-millionaire, established name, he took against new-boy Sam Smith's 'Stay with me' when he claimed a similarity with 'I won't back down'. But that is the litigious USA for you; personally, I find it all a bit petty.
 Tom Petty - Boxsterboy
>> That may be why I wasn't too impressed when, as a multi-millionaire, established name, he
>> took against new-boy Sam Smith's 'Stay with me' when he claimed a similarity with 'I
>> won't back down'. But that is the litigious USA for you; personally, I find it
>> all a bit petty.
>>

The version of the story that I read was that he did NOT sue but agreed to a co-writing credit. Which is fair enough if someone has ripped off your tune without asking you.

I really like Tom Petty, saw him in concert a couple of times. His band were really strong, too.
 Tom Petty - Haywain
"The version of the story that I read was that he did NOT sue but agreed to a co-writing credit. Which is fair enough if someone has ripped off your tune without asking you."

He didn't need to sue - the threat was enough - as a beginner, you don't mess with Americans and their lawyers. Sam Smith claimed that it was a coincidence as he didn't know TP's song.

I knew both songs and had not (as a musician) noted a resemblance. Since being aware of the claim, I still find it a very tenuous link.
 Tom Petty - legacylad
My cassette of ‘Damn the Torpedoes’ wore out several times. And I have several copies of ‘Full Moon Fever’ dotted around the place.
I know it’s an awful cliche but those albums were the soundtrack of many years in my life
 Tom Petty - rtj70
>> My cassette of ‘Damn the Torpedoes’ wore out several times

Was that like Triggers broom?
 Tom Petty - legacylad
No idea. What kind of music did Trigger & his brooms play?
 Tom Petty - Fenlander
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwGcsFKB1o

No disrespect intended to the guys but the type of band that causes me to walk into a venue, loiter a minute, and walk out again.
 Tom Petty - VxFan
>> What kind of music did Trigger & his brooms play?

Didn't they once do a duet with Dusty Springfield?
Latest Forum Posts