Non-motoring > At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 31

At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - zippy
Sad news.

Seems to be a mad man rather than terrorism.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 2 Oct 17 at 12:49
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Lygonos
May have been more of their own-brand domestic terrorism?

No matter....

People are allowed to carry weapons and do not have to register themselves as a gun-owner.

Background checks are done when people buy guns, but they are also allowed to sell them privately.

The state does not ban assault weapons, which are automatic or semi-automatic firearms, and there are no limits on buying ammunition there.

Freedom!
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - No FM2R
Well, that's about the same number of Americans as have been killed in acts of terrorism over the last 12 years.

Presumably therefore we will see Trump attacking gun ownership laws by this afternoon with around 12 times the level of enthusiasm with which he addresses terrorism.

Though just how ill do you have to be to fire automatic weapons into a crowd of people you don't know?
Ill? Doubt it - someone with mental health traits enabling them to do that would have been banged up or topped themselves by the age of 64.

Bitter and resentful? Could be - a bit like our own Thomas Hamilton, or Stanwood Elkus more recently - www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4895378/Man-jailed-life-murdering-urologist-revenge.html

Rather odd 'shoot the hippies/lefties' domestic terror effort? - who knows.

Certainly looks like suicide-by-cop was the plan.

On balance I think bitter and resentful most likely.
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Hard Cheese
Who knows why, the suspect has been shot dead though his life will be investigated and some resentment will be found though will anyone ever really know why ...

I reckon that it's about time something was done about gun laws in the US, though it's true to say that it you want to kill lots of people you can use a vehicle, an aircraft, a home made bomb etc.

There will always be a way for the madman to do his deed so we have to tackle the route cause, mental health, radicalisation, disenfranchisement from society etc etc.
>>I reckon that it's about time something was done about gun laws in the US

I agree, but I'm not sure anything can be done or that it will make a difference.

The big issue is their desire for guns. That desire is so strong that not only will changing laws cause a huge furor, people will fight to find a way around it.

Why the desire is so strong I don't know. But they need to start addressing that before a change in law will be worthwhile, possible or effective - kind of like the UK did with drink driving but much more difficult.

p.s. furor or furore?

At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Zero
Nothing can be done about the US gun laws, there are more guns there than population.

I'm sure Trump will blame the Democrats.
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - henry k
>> Nothing can be done about the US gun laws, there are more guns there than population.
>>
>> I'm sure Trump will blame the Democrats.
>>
NRA and Trump are buddies. Nothing more to say so move along :-(
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - sooty123
>> Why the desire is so strong I don't know.

Some think that as a country they've not got past the wild west mentally. They are always looking for the bad guys over the hill. No doubt there's more to it but sounds a good theory as any.
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Mapmaker
Furor is the American spelling and furore English, but the Americans give the word more meanings so you can’t always translate it into English by sticking an ‘e’ on the end. I believe it to be correct to write ‘The gunman was in a furor’ in the States, which is nonsense over here. It’s possibly an ignorant blinging up of the word ‘fury’.

For choice I should pronounce the final ‘e’ as (almost) a separate syllable in its own right; doing so, of course, would be barking with the American spelling.
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Dutchie
You are on about spelling mapmaker?

More fury likely and a suicide wish.To easy in the States to buy machine guns which are for army use.This has nothing to do with citizens right.Just a country which allowes weapons to be bought over the counter which can mass kill.And this happens there regulary.
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Timeonmyhands
Spelling:- Las Vegas.
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Ambo
>>Why the desire [for guns] is so strong I don't know.

For males, adolescent or thus fixated, there are aspects of the desire easily understood in respect of hand guns; short stiff barrel (no bragging please); cluster of power at the base, waiting to be released and the satisfying discharge. One could elaborate but other factors include the painlessness of death, as demonstrated so often on TV, where victims simple fall down and die so, after all, it cannot be so bad for them.
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Haywain
"Well, that's about the same number of Americans as have been killed in acts of terrorism over the last 12 years."

Go back a couple more years though, and you would have to include 9/11.
Note the Beeb are currently saying IS have claimed responsibility and that they say the perpetrator converted to Islam a few months ago.

Not sure if that's a more accurate source than the Mail/Express/Grauniad.

Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 2 Oct 17 at 16:03
IIRC adding 9/11 into the mix bumps the yearly average up to 74. So still more per year than this one incident.

Without 9/11 I think its 6 per year in total, 1 of which is committed by a foreign national.
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Robin O'Reliant
The good ole USA always gets a caning when one of it's citizens goes psycho with a gun, but America is still one of the safest places in the world to live. There are many countries where the homicide rate is much higher (Russia 11.31 per 100,000 compared to the States measly 4.88) but no one gives a fig including the anti American left who jump on any bad news from there as evidence of the Evil Empire. The murder rate in African and Asian countries is quite spectacular too, but nobody highlights that as it is better to let them get on with it than be accused of racism.

Jamaica's 43.21 also goes unmentioned.
3 times than in Canada.

5 times higher than the UK's.

15 times higher than Japan's.

Why would the US want to compare itself with African and Central American states?

Only Lithuania and Russia have higher homicide rates in Europe.
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Robin O'Reliant
>> 3 times than in Canada.
>>
>> 5 times higher than the UK's.
>>
>> 15 times higher than Japan's.
>>
>> Why would the US want to compare itself with African and Central American states?
>>
>> Only Lithuania and Russia have higher homicide rates in Europe.
>>

You miss my point. It is we who look on disdain at the US over their gun policy and their homicide rates in comparison to our own. Yet there is a patronising racism displayed towards other parts of the world which are far worse in both respects, "They're not like us, they are only brown people who know no better".
>>Yet there is a patronising racism displayed towards other parts of the world which are far worse in both respects, "They're not like us, they are only brown people who know no better".

The usual factor running through homicide rates is the effectiveness of the Rule of Law (ie does the State effectively remove vigilante behaviour and gang control at the street level), and impunity (ie what %age of homicides end with a conviction).

The US bucks this trend, and its gun laws and attitude to gun ownership is in no small part why it does.

>> You miss my point. It is we who look on disdain at the US over
>> their gun policy and their homicide rates in comparison to our own. Yet there is
>> a patronising racism displayed towards other parts of the world which are far worse in
>> both respects, "They're not like us, they are only brown people who know no better".

What the ruddy hell are you burbling on about, how the hell did you get colour and racism into this?
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - zippy
>> The good ole USA always gets a caning when one of it's citizens goes psycho
>> with a gun, but America is still one of the safest places in the world
>> to live. There are many countries where the homicide rate is much higher (Russia 11.31
>> per 100,000 compared to the States measly 4.88) but no one gives a fig including
>> the anti American left who jump on any bad news from there as evidence of
>> the Evil Empire. The murder rate in African and Asian countries is quite spectacular too,
>> but nobody highlights that as it is better to let them get on with it
>> than be accused of racism.
>>
>> Jamaica's 43.21 also goes unmentioned.
>>

Those other countries are not industrialised nations which are similar to ours. I suppose it is human nature to look at similar countries and not care so much about others.

Watching it on the news this evening is shocking. Considering the number of rounds fired it is astonishing that the death toll isn't higher - thank goodness!

Could you imagine an even more liberal gun carrying policy? Everyone in the crowd would probably start shooting at one another and then take pot-stots at the hotel killing or injuring anyone near their window.

>> with a gun,

Here you go, here is a good snippet that explains why the USA gets and deserves a caning

Shares in gun companies rose between 1-2% in the first few minutes of trading on Monday, just hours after the Las Vegas massacre.

Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, told the BBC that shares in gun manufacturers tended to rise after events like these because "investors believe there will be a rush to purchase guns before new gun control regulations are put into place”.

At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Duncan
>> with a gun, but America is still one of the safest places in the world
>> to live.

Wellll.....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41482010

If I ever go to the USA again maybe I need to get some protection ? :-(((
Not as much correlation between gun ownership and gun murders as you might think....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
As noted above:

The usual factor running through homicide rates is the effectiveness of the Rule of Law (ie does the State effectively remove vigilante behaviour and gang control at the street level), and impunity (ie what %age of homicides end with a conviction).

The US bucks this trend, and its gun laws and attitude to gun ownership is in no small part why it does.

Many countries with high gun ownership tend to be non-selfloading weapons such as shotguns and hunting rifles.

Assault weapons and concealable handguns account for the bulk of homicides worldwide.

>>Assault weapons and concealable handguns account for the bulk of homicides worldwide.

In the US its hand guns. I think the FBI reported it was around 60% hand guns, something like 20% rifles and shotguns and the remainder "other" which obviously includes assault weapons.

That's from memory, so I don't swear by the figures, but the proportions are reasonably accurate.
 At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - CGNorwich
At least the president will give you his "warmest condolences" if your family get massacred.
>>At least the president will give you his "warmest condolences" if your family get massacred.

A bit like

www.facebook.com/TheGoodLordAbove/photos/a.608095492611491.1073741834.157750900979288/2197652956989062/?type=3&theater

At Least 50 Murdered In Las Vagas - Haywain
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Not sure if I'm looking at this correctly, I haven't dissected the figures, but it would appear from the last column that Germany has 30.3 guns per 100 inhabitants whilst the UK only has 6.6. Should we be increasing our defence-spending? After all, you know what happened last time.
Not safe for work, not to be taken too seriously, but worth the watch, I think. Quite funny, and the odd "truth".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0&list=PL8cgy8dae0sjW5pfWffuLr658QRubgfzS

That's the link to Part 1, it'll run on to Part 2 automatically unless you disable autoplay.
Latest Forum Posts