Non-motoring > Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 73

Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - henry k
Pet owners have complained to Sainsbury's after their dogs have fallen ill from eating promotional chocolate sent through the post.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41411781

Another bright spark idea not " vetted" .
Free samples through the letterbox can be chewed by domestic animals of youngsters.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Manatee
Anybody who doesn't want his or her dog to eat things put in the letter box should put a cage there or a box on the wall outside as many do, Shirley?

Always somebody else's fault.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 27 Sep 17 at 14:02
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Bromptonaut
>> Always somebody else's fault.

Hmmm. Dogless ourselves but friend's Cocker normally shows no interest whatever in either post or postie. We used to get free samples of this'n'that through door when I was a kid - Acdo cleaning products ring a bell - but modern regulations and suspicions seem to have stopped such things. Risk of comestible samples distributed that way isn't one you'd automatically think of.

Not just dogs either but toddlers too.

Sainsbury should have known better and will be paying vets bills.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Stuartli
>>Always somebody else's fault.>>

I completely fail to see the logic of your suggestion.

I cannot recall ever having had food or edible items sent to me by post and, even if I had, it certainly wouldn't ever strike me or very few others I suspect to put a cage over the letter box or have a receptacle on the wall....:-)
>> >>Always somebody else's fault.>>
>>
>> I completely fail to see the logic of your suggestion.

Fair enough Stuartli. I don't know much about dogs.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Cliff Pope

>> I cannot recall ever having had food or edible items sent to me by post
>>

You must be Mr Scrooge.
We have a joyful Christmas with lots of goodies though the post. Presents and food orders of biscuits, cakes, puddings, boxes of chocs.
Let me have your address and I'll send you a very small bar of plain dark chocolate.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - sherlock47
"I'll send you a very small bar of plain dark chocolate."

Tip - just check that the Branding is not Exlax.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Dog
>>check that the Branding is not Exlax.

Been there, done that, and ... www.zazzle.co.uk/exlax_t_shirt-235944876742691828
"Green & Black's, which is owned by Kraft Foods, declined to comment"

What on earth is this once-great country coming to - Even Dulux is now owned by the Dutch. Cadbury by the Yanks. ditto Terry's Choc. Energy Companies mostly foreign owned. ditto vehicle manufacturers etc. etc. etc..

It appears to me that this country now exists in name only.

Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - sherlock47
A slight rewrite
"Green & Black's, which is owned by Kraft Foods, declined to comment"

What on earth is this once-great county coming to - Even Cornwall is occupied by Londoners.

It appears to me that this county is going to the Dogs :)
What we need in this country is an anti-federalist, Eurosceptic, right-wing, British unionist political party.

Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Crankcase
It's not as bad as all that, Dog. In 2015,

Hamleys, Glenmorangie, Orange mobile, Fisons, EDF - French
EON, Npower - German
Scottish Power - Spanish
Mcvities, Jaffa Cakes, Hula Hoops - Turkish
Jaguar, Blue Circle Cement, British Steel, Harrods, Bass Beweries, most main airports, Penguin books - all foreign owned
HP and Daddies Sauce - made in Holland
Smarties -Germany
Raleigh bikes - Denmark
And of course, Cadbury - American

Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Haywain
"EDF - French"

EDF sold the eastern and south-eastern electricity networks to UK Power Networks ........... which is ........ Chinese.

I'm not sure who owns our water - I think it's the French but, as I said the other day, much of the family silver has now been sold off.
No doubt the list above has changed about a bit by now , but I bet none of them are British.
>> I'm not sure who owns our water - I think it's the French

Anglian Water is owned by Osprey Consortium in which investors are mostly Australian and Canadian

www.awg.com/investors/

If you're in that part of Suffolk where Essex and Suffolk provide the supply then a component of Northumbrian Water who's investors seem to be Chinese.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 27 Sep 17 at 16:22
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - R.P.
Welsh Water owns itself and is a not for profit company.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - VxFan
>> Welsh Water owns itself and is a not for profit company.

Do they have many leeks?
>> >> Welsh Water owns itself and is a not for profit company.
>>
>> Do they have many leeks?

No, they know their onions.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Stuartli
We have United Utilities. Apart from the odd problem, it has a fine record looking after the water, reservoirs and sewage needs of the whole of the North West, including such Victorian cities as Liverpool and Manchester.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Lygonos

>>much of the family silver has now been sold off

by...

....an anti-federalist, Eurosceptic, right-wing, British unionist political party

aka the Conservatives

Good job, well done.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - smokie
It weren't them wot sold off all the gold though...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sale_of_UK_gold_reserves,_1999%E2%80%932002
">>much of the family silver has now been sold off

by.......an anti-federalist, Eurosceptic, right-wing, British unionist political party aka the Conservatives. Good job, well done."

Which is why I don't blindly support any political party. Looking back, though, when the silver was being sold, I was still supporting Labour. It was Blair/Brown wot dunnit for me.
Sarson's vinegar - Japanese owned
Weetabix - Chinese owned
Rachel's dairy - French owned
New Covent Garden Soup Co - American owned
Branston pickle - Japanese owned
Smiths/Walkers crisps - American owned
Kit Kat/Aero/Smarties/Rolo/Quality Street etc. etc - Swiss Owned

= Selling England by the pound
Leicester City FC - Thai owned
Ah, Dog, can you tell me where my country lies?
It lies with me - cried the Queen of Maybe
>> It lies with me - cried the Queen of Maybe

Having a hankering for more of that kind of stuff, I had a crack at Big Big Train Folklore. Pretty good if you're in that kind of mood. Have a bash if you haven't already.

youtu.be/0D9YF3e4Gac
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 28 Sep 17 at 10:30
Grrreat music Cc - best I've heard in a long time (I need to get out moor!)

The singer ('vocalist') reminds me of Phil Collins, he (David Longdon) is multi-talented and, besides playing the flute, can play keyboards, acoustic and electric 6 & 12 string guitars, bass, mandolin, lute, banjo, accordion, percussion, dulcimer, psaltry (sawtry), vibraphone,glockenspiel, even the theremin (wiki)
Well, if you have a penchant, as I do, for English pastoral rock aka New Prog, then Big Big Train will provide many hours of maundering. Tend to stick them on the background while reading a Le Carrè or something.

I'm reading (trying to read) www.amazon.co.uk/Human-Personality-Survival-Bodily-Death/dp/048643818X at the moment. I have a hardback copy which originally cost 3s 6p. I paid £1 for it about 8 years ago.

I say trying to read because I read it in bed at night but usually nod orf after half a page or so, maybe I need to drink a mug of strong coffee first, source some amphetamine, or read it in the daytime.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - CGNorwich
I wouldn't bother - its unmitigated old tosh.

Try some real science. its infinitely more interesting and rewarding . I recommend "How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker. Very informative and a lot more fun to read.
I know howl the mind works, I've had one for 65 years, AND I've read R.D. Laing :)

>> originally cost 3s 6p. I paid £1 for it about 8 years ago.

I paid £0.00 for it about 8 minutes ago, as it's free on the Kindle store. I do read real science by preference, but will toy with oddities on occasion. Especially when they are free.

It was one of those enervating French philosophers who said that an opinion at either extreme was worth nothing, after all.
>>

Having a hankering for more of that kind of stuff, I had a crack at Big Big Train Folklore. Pretty good if you're in that kind of mood. Have a bash if you haven't already.

I emailed that YouTube to my 'almost a professor of psychology friend' in Plymouth. He replied with:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Cmkrym07Y&feature=youtu.be

>> I emailed that YouTube to my 'almost a professor of psychology friend' in Plymouth.

Thanks Dog. I have to say that didn't do it for me at first pass, but maybe I need to be in the mood. I'll try again later.

My mood today is all Wind and Wuthering, which is a jolly fine mood to be in.

youtu.be/9BQCb0KGHck

>>My mood today is all Wind and Wuthering, which is a jolly fine mood to be in.

Cheers big ears. I used to listen to all types of music back in the 1970's, as long as it was by Pink Floyd :)

Not a great fan of Genesis really, although some of songs I quite like, especially when Gabriel was on the payroll.

I'll give Wind and Wuthering a a spin over the weekend and let e'e know the verdict.

>>
>> Cheers big ears. I used to listen to all types of music back in the
>> 1970's, as long as it was by Pink Floyd :)

Well ain't nobody like The Pink Floyd. But if sir is interested in a band, and indeed album, of another colour, mayhap this will fill a few moments? If of course sir is not already only too familiar with it.

youtu.be/ZVvdKo9Kjs8

>>Well ain't nobody like The Pink Floyd. But if sir is interested in a band, and indeed album, of another colour, mayhap this will fill a few moments? If of course sir is not already only too familiar with it.

I see "Pink Floyd were also an influence on Edgar Froese and Tangerine Dream" I like that sort of music, often preferring instrumentals, sometimes I find the vocals get in the way :)

I can just about recall seeing Tangerine Dream on the billboards back in the day, but I never really knew what they were about, or that they were a German band but, as you say, they've got nothing on Pink Floyd and their vast, vast output over the decades.
Careful Dog. They just put a blue plaque up with great ceremony for Syd, in Cambridge.

About two days later, a man was observed hacking it off again. Had to do the plaque all over again from scratch. It said Pink Floyd. Not The Pink Floyd.

Fans, eh? Lucky they didn't do one for The Eagles or that would have had to come down too.
>>Had to do the plaque all over again from scratch. It said Pink Floyd. Not The Pink Floyd.

Just as well it didn't say 'The Floyd' as some people call them, or you would have had me up there with my Beauceron!
>> I like that sort of music, often preferring instrumentals...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbsC_fGArVc

Hope you like the Bass guitar...
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 30 Sep 17 at 01:16
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - rtj70
Good lyrics ;-)
>>Hope you like the Bass guitar...

Yeah, triffic - my kinda music. I remember when I came out of detention centre in 1968, going into a 'record store' in Pimilco, London (I was cleaning windows, my first job) and asking for some of that 'high-pitched guitar music'.
The chap didn't really know what I was on about, but I ended up coming out with two Jimi Hendrix LP's :)
>>I'll give Wind and Wuthering a a spin over the weekend and let e'e know the verdict.

Listened to it while I was doing 'stuff' on the PC + trying to play with two large dogs!! T'was okay, good music by competent musicians, nothing to 'light my fire' though, unlike Lygo's offering from Rush which I will be playing again, Sam.
S'a grower innit. I listened to Push The Button by The Sugababes this morning. That's not a grower.
Hark at these blimming amateurs (what a racket!) can't see 'em getting anywhere with that sort of stuff, can you? They'd be better orf sticking to the day job if you want my not-so humble opinion.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkPN20Ek3Zo
>>unlike Lygo's offering from Rush

Have a swatchie at the intro to their 30th anniversary R30 tour - an instrumental medley of bits of songs from 1970s albums leading into Spirit of Radio (with vocals!)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSToKcbWz1k
>>Have a swatchie at the intro to their 30th anniversary R30 tour - an instrumental medley of bits of songs from 1970s albums leading into Spirit of Radio (with vocals!)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSToKcbWz1k

Powerful stuff alright, a surprising amount of talent comes out of Canada.
I had a Canadian efriend who was fighting breast cancer, she lost (52) who introduced me to a lot of Canadian musicians, many were known to me, but I didn't actually know they were Canadian.

My friend Lauri Smith the leather craftsman spent a lot of, um, time in Canada ... mostly in Kingston Pen.

:}
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Zero

>> = Selling England by the pound

Dog = Japanese car buyer.
>>Dog = Japanese car buyer.

Honda CR-V. built in Wiltshire, England. I've just bought a Bosch washing machine mind, probably made in the Republic of Turkey though.
>>Honda CR-V. built in Wiltshire, England

A plant owned by Honda, Japan.

>>A plant owned by Honda, Japan.

Bonsai?
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - rtj70
>> Honda CR-V. built in Wiltshire, England

Assembled in the UK. Some of it will be 'imported' from outside the UK.
Does anybody here actually own a Morgan, TVR or Caterham?

It grieves me somewhat that I no longer own a car even assembled in this country.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - No FM2R
Always happy to help....

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1966-FORD-ANGLIA-ESTATE-MEGA-RARE-BEAUTIFUL-ROCK-SOLID-GREAT-DRIVER-/272864549357?hash=item3f87fe99ed:g:PAQAAOSw4X5Zy59N
>>Assembled in the UK. Some of it will be 'imported' from outside the UK.

A quick shufty under the 'hood' reveals a lot of 'stuff' is made in Deutschland.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - TheManWithNoName
>> >>Dog = Japanese car buyer.
>>
>> Honda CR-V. built in Wiltshire, England. I've just bought a Bosch washing machine mind, probably
>> made in the Republic of Turkey though.

When we bought a Bosch I was told by an engineer the Turkish built ones are rubbish and best to get a Polish built one. Something to do with better quality control.
>>When we bought a Bosch I was told by an engineer the Turkish built ones are rubbish and best to get a Polish built one. Something to do with better quality control.

I haven't got a clue where it was made TBH. It's a Maxx 6 1400 spin jobbie. There's a sticker on the inside of the door with "Bob Bosch, and their address in Munich, but whether it was made there I don't know.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Pat
Don't forget us Dog, we're all 'owned' by Health & Safety and the great 'I will sue for damage' culture.

It's not our job to protect ourselves and our own anymore, it's someone else's.

Pat
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Duncan

>> What on earth is this once-great country coming to - Even Dulux is now owned
>> by the Dutch. Cadbury by the Yanks. ditto Terry's Choc. Energy Companies mostly foreign owned.
>> ditto vehicle manufacturers etc. etc. etc..
>>
>> It appears to me that this country now exists in name only.

So Dulux is owned by the Dutch, so what? How does that negatively affect your life in any meaningful way?

Apart from giving you something else to moan about, of coarse!

Still, on second thoughts, for you, that is a positive, isn't it?
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - No FM2R
Who cares who owns what? As Duncan said, how does that affect your life?

Ben & Jerry's, Holiday Inn & Speedo are all British owned.

Feel better now? Or do you think those British companies should be forced to sell those US brands?

Ridiculous.
Me, moan, never ... you must be Miss Taken, mate.
"Apart from giving you something else to moan about, of coarse!"

My wife (retired English teacher) moans about the standard of spelling these days ;-)
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Duncan
>> "Apart from giving you something else to moan about, of coarse!"
>>
>> My wife (retired English teacher) moans about the standard of spelling these days ;-)
>>

I think that was a malapropism, rather than an error of spelling on my part?

>> It appears to me that this country now exists in name only.

And you voted to push it further into obscurity
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Pat
No, we voted to give it back it's own identity.

Pat
The clown identity?
>> The clown identity?

Boris is working hard on that one....
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Runfer D'Hills
Pretty dumb thing to do, posting foodstuffs through letter boxes. It assumes that a responsible adult is the first to see it. Animals and small children tend not to be so discerning.

But with particular reference to dogs, some of them will just eat anything within their reach, while others ( my current one for example ) can be trusted not to "steal" food.

I've had bigger, posher breeds who would just take anything, but this little guy patiently waits to be told if he can have things. In fact a bowl of his food can last him 24 hours. He just picks at it from time to time. He loves cheese, although he doesn't get it very often, but I can leave a lump of it on the floor and he'll not touch it until I say it's ok.

My childhood/teenage dog was a retriever, he'd steal anything edible and being tall, he could open doors using his paws on the handles. Once caught him with a leg of lamb in the back garden which had been left to cool on a work surface. Took ages and much farcical chasing to get it back from him, and my father and I trimmed it back into shape without telling anyone else who was due to have it for dinner!
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - R.P.
The cocker was like that (until the Springer came along). He learnt the hard way that leaving a bowl for later was a bad move. I only knew him once to steal. He'd had the runs and I starved him for 24 hours. Well into the 24 hours I had lef thim in the the kitchen whilst I was probably on this site on a desk-top. Also there were two chicken breasts stuffed with Philli and wrapped in bacon. I came down to put them in the oven, one was missing - and very guilty looking Spaniel was looking up at me with a hint of soft cheese around his snout.
Every Christmas party at my dog training club they hold a contest. Last year was a small agility course while the dog was holding a sausage in its mouth. Quite a few managed it without consuming the sausage.
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - smokie
Not surprised, I know I wouldn't eat a sausage which has been in a dog's mouth! :-)
>> Not surprised, I know I wouldn't eat a sausage which has been in a dog's
>> mouth! :-)

Better than one that's been in Katie Hopkin's err hands:

www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/05/08/katie-hopkins-confirms-she-will-streak-through-london-with-sausage-up-her-bum/
 Dogs ill after eating shop's chocolate freebie - Mapmaker
'Free' bonus sweet things are a not uncommon giveaway in parcels for office and commercial supplies. A bribe for the person placing the order.
Latest Forum Posts