Non-motoring > The NHS - do they think things through? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 21

The NHS - do they think things through? - smokie
I know I am picking just one tiny example from millions of things but...

I occasionally used to go to see the nurse in our surgery and get my ears de-waxed. She'd look down them with a light and say ooo yes they need doing or no they don't.

Either way the appointment was no more than 10 minutes.

Now I have to make an appointment see the nurse (waiting list currently well over a week). She'll take a look at them and if they need doing she will refer me to a medical centre in Bracknell (unknown length waiting list).

I am usually supportive of the NHS but this seems a ludicrous of time and duplication of effort for such a small procedure.

(I was told I can pay £40 per ear to get them done privately.)
 The NHS - do they think things through? - Cliff Pope
>>
>> refer me to a medical centre in Bracknell (unknown length waiting list).
>>

You'll be given appointment for 9.30 am and you'll think, good-oh, I'll be out in 10 minutes.
But then you'll look round the waiting room and see two dozen other people all with 9.30 appointments. You'll be seen about lunch time, because all the other savvy old-timers know the system and will have been there early bagging their places in a queue.

If you ask how long the queue is and when approximately you might be seen, the receptionist will look at you with horror at the very idea of spoiling their system.
So you sit resignedly until the nurse arrives at 10.00am, wait half an hour as two people are seen, then leave and go to Boots and buy a syringe and some castor oil.
 The NHS - do they think things through? - Dog
>> go to Boots and buy a syringe and some castor oil.

Or Olive Oyl, just don't tell Popeye!

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Earwax/Pages/Introduction.aspx
 The NHS - do they think things through? - henry k
>>Or Olive Oyl, just don't tell Popeye!
>>
It seems to have been the unchallenged initial treatment for many decades.
It is often said that warming it first helps.

Me, to hell with the expense I use the easy to remember EAROL.
A simple device for getting OO where it is needed without any mess or wasting time.
No more faffying about !!!
 The NHS - do they think things through? - Duncan

>> Me, to hell with the expense I use the easy to remember EAROL.
>> A simple device for getting OO where it is needed without any mess or wasting

www.boots.com/earol-olive-oil-spray-10ml-10148536
 The NHS - do they think things through? - Runfer D'Hills
Take up mountain biking. The fear on a fast loose descent blows the wax out of your ears !
;-)
 The NHS - do they think things through? - legacylad
Or scraping down an icy, rocky black run first thing in the morning.
( I'm breaking into a cold sweat just remembering that time a few years ago when I realised that I was no longer indestructible)
 The NHS - do they think things through? - Old Navy
>> Or scraping down an icy, rocky black run first thing in the morning.
>> ( I'm breaking into a cold sweat just remembering that time a few years ago
>> when I realised that I was no longer indestructible)
>>

Icy piste basher track corrugations early in the morning at high altitude are for clearing out your other end, your ears will clear with the pressure change as you decend at way beyond push bike speeds. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 27 Sep 17 at 14:15
 The NHS - do they think things through? - Falkirk Bairn
>>The fear on a fast loose descent blows the wax out of your ears !

Also known to clear constipation issues @ the same time.
 The NHS - do they think things through? - Clk Sec
>> Me, to hell with the expense I use the easy to remember EAROL.
>> A simple device for getting OO where it is needed without any mess or wasting
>> time.
>> No more faffying about !!!

Using Earol greatly reduces the number of times I have to attend the surgery.

An excellent product.
 The NHS - do they think things through? - VxFan
>> You'll be seen about lunch time, because all the other savvy old-timers
>> know the system and will have been there early bagging their places in a queue.

Also at the front of the queue will be people using patient transport, and any convicts on an away day from prison handcuffed to guards. They try and get to see the latter first to stop everyone else in the waiting room having panic attacks being in the same room as a con.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 27 Sep 17 at 10:58
 The NHS - do they think things through? - Zero
>> I know I am picking just one tiny example from millions of things but...

Yes you are, and its not as tho its vital, debilitating life threatening or urgent either. If you feel it is and you want it done at your convenience then pay the money.
 The NHS - do they think things through? - movilogo
>> I am usually supportive of the NHS but this seems a ludicrous of time and duplication of effort for such a small procedure.

The idea is to make things difficult so that people won't bother up turning to NHS for small issues.

The privatization of NHS started slowly behind the doors.

The NHS - do they think things through? - CGNorwich
The sooner they start charging for visits to GPs the better. Would deter the time wasters and the worried well and cut down the waiting list hugely. I would like to see some statistics as to how many people attending their GP or A and E actually need to go there.
 The NHS - do they think things through? - movilogo
>> The sooner they start charging for visits to GPs the better.

with a corresponding decrease (or abolishing) in National Insurance contribution.

Why, hospitals suddenly became free to provide and operate did they?
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 27 Sep 17 at 13:11
 The NHS - do they think things through? - Old Navy
A slippery slope, I knew a twenty something girl who died because she could not afford Asthma treatment. If she could have afforded medical insurance it would not have covered her Astma. She was an Australian in her own country. Likewise a friend's sister with cancer.
 The NHS - do they think things through? - henry k
>>The privatization of NHS started slowly behind the doors.

Add to that the budget constraints.

SWMBO needs treatment for several problems, none are life threatening but all screw up her living a half reasonable life.

We have seen one of her senior consultants who prescribed very basic treatment and after quite a few months there is absolutely no improvement plus SWMBO is in a worse state.
Called the consultants office.
" Whats happening re SWMBO ?"
" She has been discharged see the letter you were sent"

Letter dated June says ........" not arranged to see her again but would be happy to do so if required"
Docs may understand it means signed off But a peasant like me does not.
Given that three months of medication were recommended plus another blood test for results
This smacks of targets and ticking boxes.
The treatment was very very basic drugs ( one cost 99p in Tesco)
I understand do the simple/easy/ cheap things first but then .....
I saw two partners at the surgery and no answer or medical suggestions.
Spoke to third partner " I am not at all happy with SWMBO being left in limbo "
Very reluctantly a letter will be forthcoming in the next five days back to the consultant plus a warning of long waiting lists.

Our surgery does not have a full list and is normally very good but this time it too seems to be letting £££s take precedence.
 The NHS - do they think things through? - Bromptonaut
Mrs B has a familial tendency to excessive earwax and can be deaf as a post for days when it obstructs ear canal. Olive oil followed by flushing shifts it.

IIRC though there are questions over long term efficacy and cost effectiveness of irrigation to remove earwax. No longer offered routinely in our surgery either. Those wishing the treatment are screened and referred to a specific nurse/session.

My own wax falls out of its own volition, never needed treatment.
 The NHS - do they think things through? - smokie
>> >> I know I am picking just one tiny example from millions of things but...
>>
>> Yes you are, and its not as tho its vital, debilitating life threatening or urgent
>> either. If you feel it is and you want it done at your convenience then
>> pay the money.
>>

I agree with all of that but just where is the saving, or other efficiency, for anyone? Apart from maybe deterring people from bothering the NHS with their medical problems...

Obviously I don't feel it is urgent or life threatening, daft and irrelevant of you to suggest really.
 The NHS - do they think things through? - Dutchie
Use cotton wool plus olive oil warm a few drops in your ear.That is the only way I keep my ears reasonable clear.

Mine was that blocked a private visit didn't do any good either.

Ears cleared after a few weeks with olive oil.It takes time to clog your ears up and time to get writ of the wax or whatever it is to get writ off.

>> Obviously I don't feel it is urgent or life threatening, daft and irrelevant of you
>> to suggest really.

Then it was daft and irrelevant of you to whine about it then, wasn't it.
Latest Forum Posts