Non-motoring > Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 12

Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - legacylad
I am now in the prime of my middle age, and recent xrays show an increasingly arthritic hip.
For over 40 years I have played squash, rugger, climbed, run x country and marathons, and now take it 'easy' with only skiing and long distance walking. The latter has been severly curtailed these past 4 months and I do not want to give up just yet! Friends recommend either CLO or this Omega 3 stuff. I already take Glucosamine & Chondroitin daily.
Has anyone any personal experience of arthritic hips and can recommend supplements please?
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - Zero
I have an arthritic right hip. Let me know if yyou find a cure, for I havent.

Its gonna need a plastic hip I reckon.
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - Bellboy
can you not take up the play with a feeler gauge wedged in?
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - corax
My Australian workmate finally had his hip replaced last year. It runs in his family as his mother also suffered from an arthritic hip. The best thing to stop the pain as he found was less walking, not a lot of help i know, but he'd gone beyond the stage of cod liver oil supplements. But bear in mind he had to cut a bowling green three times a week, plus cut cricket wickets, scarify, and so on. His hip was never getting any rest, and just got worse.

He had it replaced with a metal joint as these are the most durable. It took a long time to heal, but he's finally OK, although he cannot carry out the same work as before. He tried, but it started to stiffen up again, so he's now on mainly driving duties. There is plenty of information on the t'internet about the pro's and cons of different joint materials.

And no, the surgeon didn't include a grease nipple in his replacement joint!
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - legacylad
Doc says I should be ok for another 5 to 10 years before replacement hip needed. In the meantime I shall ski & walk as much as possible just in case I don't make it that far! I shall investigate pros & cons of CLO & Omega 3 ...
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - MD
Caught a few snippets on Radio 4 around 17.00 today discussing a Hip replacement op' I think and pain relief options for the same. Quite interesting.

Just about to start on Glucosamine as knees are not well.

M
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - bathtub tom
I tried fish oils and glucosamine + chondroitin with unfortunate side effects.

My GP told me not to worry as they both had that effect on your bowels.

I now take them on alternate days, regular as clockwork. ;>)
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - CGNorwich
Unfortunately there is no cure for osteo arthritis other than replacement of the joint. Many swear by various supplements but there is no scientific proof for any of them. I suspect that benefits are in the mind. A regime of low impact exercise such as swimming or cycling and pain killers as necessary is about all you can do. Would ease up on the skiing.
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - henry k
>>Would ease up on the skiing.
>>
And ensure no drifting into an overweight state.
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - Zero
Yup, the carrying loads are the most important factor.
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - L'escargot
Eat oily fish ~ sardines, mackerel, pilchards etc. ~ twice a week. I have them in tomato sauce on toast for breakfast.

They also helps ward off prostrate cancer, memory loss, and cardiovascular disease. Google for oily fish benefits.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 19 Aug 10 at 10:10
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - Mike Hannon
>Eat oily fish ~ sardines, mackerel, pilchards etc. ~ twice a week. I have them in tomato sauce on toast for breakfast.<

Hmm. That or being crippled. Interesting choice.
 Arthritic hip. Best lubricant? - IJWS14
My understanding is that the fish oil and glucosamine are preventative rather than cures

I am on both to try to stop feet and shoulder getting worse.
Latest Forum Posts