Non-motoring > Leeds / Bradford area Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 81

Leeds / Bradford area - No FM2R
I know that some of you know the Leeds Bradford area, but I do not.

I need to get my 15 year old unaccompanied daughter from Leeds Station to the Dubrovnik Hotel at BD8 7AQ on a Saturday afternoon.

Will a taxi be easy/safe enough?

Should I try to arrange an UBER? I don't really know how reliable they are.

Is there another car service that you would recommend that I could trust? It'd be great if it was a service you actually knew to be trustworthy and reliable. Especially if that person would stand there wiht a board with her name on to ensure that she found him.

She is very well travelled and quite sensible, but she is only 15, so I think asking/letting her catch a bus on her own wouldn't be safe.

All suggestions welcomed, thank you.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 23 Aug 17 at 20:32
 Leeds / Bradford area - Falkirk Bairn
The hotel is 1.5 miles from Bradford!
Train Leeds to Bradford (11 miles) - then taxi to hotel (1.5miles)!
Mmm, but train to Leeds, car to hotel is easier than train to Leeds, Train to Bradford, Car to Hotel.

I need easy and safe (or least risk).
 Leeds / Bradford area - Manatee
I agree. And the train + taxi won't be any quicker. As you say, somebody with a name board would be ideal.

A chauffeur service would probably be c. £50.
 Leeds / Bradford area - Hard Cheese
You could ask the hotel to arrange a car.
Good thought!
 Leeds / Bradford area - legacylad
Let me know the dates and I'll do door2door if you are uneasy about the train to Bradford... if she gets off the Bradford train at Shipley it is probably closer to the Dubrovnik Hotel than going to Bradford, and she has a choice of both Bradford & Skipton trains ( this is the Airedale line).

Getting off at the next station along the line from Shipley, en route to Bradford, is Frizinghall, but no taxis there. I went to school 1/4 mile away from Frizinghall

If I'm overseas my ex would happily collect your daughter at Shipley and take her to the Dubrovnik.

Leeds station, which I travel through regularly, has recently been modernised with lifts, escalators and a very helpful passenger info kiosk on both levels. Easy to navigate.
One word of warning. The Dubrovnik is not in a very salubrious area. I spent the first 14 years of my life in BD8, and returned to BD9 when I bought my first house ( because it was cheap even then)!

You wouldn't want to go walking out at night...there was a multiple shooting in Heaton only last week and that's less than a mile away.

Cartwright Hall in Lister Park, with a park entrance only a few hundred yards away, is worth a visit, although I've not been for yonks. I think that currently there is a Hockney ( a fellow Bradfordian) exhibition there. As if a 15yo would be interested.

>>One word of warning. The Dubrovnik is not in a very salubrious area.

I almost mentioned that but it's decades since I went there and it didn't look too bad on street view. NoFM should of course be guided by you.

We used to meet friends at a pub on the same street called the Oakleigh Hotel. I looked it up and it now appears to be an Islamic Cultural Centre!
 Leeds / Bradford area - rtj70
The only place I've really been in Bradford is Provident Finance when I did some consultancy/project work there many years ago. I'd not want to be in that area late at night but the hotel NoFM2R's daughter is in is further out so I hoped that was better :-)
Trust me. No it's not.
Even I wouldn't wander round there at night in the dark on my own
I'm curious as to why Bradford though... it's a hole. Very little going for it. Ironic really, tonight I had drinks in Settle with three friends who were born there. And left asap.
 Leeds / Bradford area - Fullchat
Looks reasonable on Street View :S

>> I'm curious as to why Bradford though... it's a hole. Very little going for it.

Like most cities if you ask me. But it does have the Dales on its doorstep, the National Science and Media Museyroom, Saltaire, the sainted Brontes carry on in Haworth, Halifax and its Piece Hall, the KWVR...

On second thoughts, maybe not that riveting for a 15 year old!
Very true. But you wouldn't stay in Bradford. If you are visiting the Dales then stay in the Dales. Same goes for Haworth & the Brontes and the KWVR ( don't stay in Keighley!)
Halifax Piece Hall has just had a major refurb... otherwise Hx is a dump
I'm at Saltaire Brewery Friday night... I enjoy visiting Salts Mill every few months.
 Leeds / Bradford area - Dutchie
A major town or city in the U.K not safe travel for a fifteen year old on a Saturday afternoon by bus?

What is the world coming to.

Leeds / Bradford area - movilogo
There is reason to be cautious though - as per statistics.

www.thesun.co.uk/news/3850254/uk-most-dangerous-safest-areas-crime-rates-rape-burglary-arson/

>> A major town or city in the U.K not safe travel for a fifteen year
>> old on a Saturday afternoon by bus?
>>
>> What is the world coming to.

I think I understand NoFM's concern - I'd want my daughter not only to be safe but to feel safe and unstressed on arrival, so I'd make the arrangements as easy as possible.
 Leeds / Bradford area - Zero
>> A major town or city in the U.K not safe travel for a fifteen year
>> old on a Saturday afternoon by bus?
>> What is the world coming to.

She is a 15 year old girl on her own in England, - not just England but big cities, for the first time. I'm sure you would be equally concerned if your 15 year old daughter stepped off the ferry in Rotterdam, or arrived at Centraal Station Amsterdam.
 Leeds / Bradford area - tyrednemotional
...or, indeed, Hull Paragon.
>>A major town or city in the U.K not safe travel for a fifteen year old on a Saturday afternoon by bus?

Look at it this way; Santiago, Chile is a pretty safe city, it really is. If your 15 year old was coming here the first time, would you be happy with that or would you prefer me to meet her and get her to her hotel?

Its her safety and my peace of mind. Imagine I hadn't done all I could and something went wrong.

Its also about her feeling relaxed on her first major travel on her own.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 24 Aug 17 at 10:24
Understandable FM.I would be concerned with a young daughter on her own.Leeds and Bradford are safe but like in any big city you have to have your wits about you.

Fifteen year olds are not daft an I bet your daughter isn't.I was travelling abroad when I was a teen.I looked about twelve when I was sixteen.Ok I was a lad but only slight build not a heavyweight.>;)
Dutchie... Bradford is not safe.
Leeds is far safer
We joke that Bfd is twinned with Kandahar and without putting the wind up anyone ewe only have to look at the local rag to see what it's really like. Huge drug problems. Massive amount of traffic offences... uninsured & banned drivers, high speed drive offs when the police abandon car chases, gun crime, etc etc
Mental & physical health problems way above average with parts of the community after 4 generations of inter breeding...and I say that having friends who worked, and continue to work, in various sectors of the health service within BMDC
>>Let me know the dates and I'll do door2door if you are uneasy about the train to Bradford.

That is very kind. Its Saturday 17th. I'm just sorting out the details and then I'll come back to you.

Thank you.
Without knowing the travel arrangements, I imagine a long haul flight is involved, probably into LHR. Then tube to Kings X, and onward rail travel to Leeds ( Virgin East Coast have a seat sale on at the moment. I'm just off to plan a few days in London from Settle)
I would have thought that sufficient to be going on with.

Even though I'm well travelled, when I visit my CA friends after a 03:30 start to LBA via AMS then LAX or PDX or SEA I'm always grateful my friends ( normally) collect me at SMF. A bus followed by an hour on the Sacramento Light Rail would finish me!
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 24 Aug 17 at 18:09
Make that Saturday 16th. Doh.
 Leeds / Bradford area - Roger.
As we live only 40 or so miles from Leeds, I'm quite happy to offer to be a backstop if LL or his ex cannot oblige for some reason. I would not be happy about our 14 yr. old grandson doing that leg of the trip unaccompanied.
Last edited by: Roger. on Fri 25 Aug 17 at 14:52
Roger,

I appreciate the offer, I really do, its kind. However, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable taking a favour from someone with views that bother me so much, especially since I've been so vocal about that in the past and will no doubt be so again in the future..

However, if any s*** hits the fan I will get over my principles and ask for help - my daughter's welfare outweighs any principle I hold.

So thanks, genuinely, but no thanks.

Mark.
Unfortunately I am away walking the GR5 that date, hopefully approaching Briancon, flying back from Geneva on Monday 18th.
My ex's partner has his birthday on the 16th, and although nothing planned, things could change. Hopefully we can work things out.
Any help or advice email me... I leave for the mountains on Friday 01/09
Thanks for the offer anyway, and I'll shout for any advice.

Should I feel better now I discover that the children will not be outside the hotel after dark? Is it ok during the day?
The Dubrovnik is located just off Manningham Lane. I walked past the top of the road 6 days a week to/from school! ( school was BGS and included Saturday mornings)
A really rotten area these days... apart from Lister Park, and Cartwright Hall therein, which are just opposite, there is nothing to see or do, apart from buying drugs, cheap curries and spotting insured vehicles.
I'm staying close to Lpool airport Friday night prior to my sleazyjet Sat AM Geneva flight, and will help with any questions you may have whilst in the environs of Chamonix before our first mountain hut on 03/09.
Put simply, there is no point venturing out at night on foot in that part of the world. There may be something worth seeing at the 'Media Museum' in the centre of Bradford... several screens including an Imax, plus the Alhambra Theatre.
The sooner you leave Bfd the better. Most of my contemporaries did years ago, and no amount of spin changes that.
 Leeds / Bradford area - rtj70
Makes me wonder if the trip itself could be changed to avoid this hotel. Is it too late?
I'm sure the hotel is fine. Only two miles from the centre of Bradford but I really wonder why you would stay in Bradford unless on business.
Plenty of nice hotels within Bfd Met district area... Ilkley ( an evening wander over Ilkley Moor with glorious views across Wharfedale), hotels in Bingley ( Baildon Moor 2 miles away) Haworth...pleasant enough to wander around at night.
Great to get advice though with the utmost respect to all, as a matter of principle it doesn't seem ideal to entrust one's 15 year daughter to someone you've only "met" on on an internet forum. Perhaps better to ask the hotel to sort ...
 Leeds / Bradford area - Mapmaker
Agreed. I should *far* rather book a cab than some complete stranger I'd 'met' on the internet. Particularly one with a brand new supercar that he might not be able to drive safely. I'd also be a bit worried about the message that 'don't catch a cab in the North of England' might send.

If the worst comes to the worst, and money is no object, then what about one of these:

www.poptop.uk.com/bradford-city/suppliers/transport/chauffer-driven-car/

I can't help but feel that an SJW would accuse you of innate racism in your reluctance to allow a daughter to catch a cab in Bradford, when presumably in Alnwick there would be no similar reluctance (I can guarantee all cab drivers there are white).

Why on earth the trip to Bradford in the first place?
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 1 Sep 17 at 09:00
 Leeds / Bradford area - nice but dim

>>
>> Why on earth the trip to Bradford in the first place?
>>

I was thinking this too. Hardly a lifetimes ambition to go there

What is the purpose of the trip?
HardCheese
In hindsight you are perfectly correct. No offence meant and non taken. You hear so much about awful stuff happening through the medium of Internet forums and consequently utmost discretion should be shown. The OP hasn't a clue who I am.
As it happens I'm away in the Alps, and I dont take delivery of my new car until late September
Hope the visit to the UK goes smoothly for all concerned

Mapmaker, what is the point of your post? Seems a bit silly to me.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 1 Sep 17 at 10:39
Let the hotel book a taxi...they will know the reputable companies.
The closest station to the hotel is Frizinghall, but Shipley is the next one down the line in the Leeds direction, and by alighting at Shipley it is the first stop after Leeds, and you have the choice of both Bradford & Skipton trains.
The latter has a more regular service, and Shipley is both a manned station and busier than Frizinghall.
In case it all goes belly up in a worst case scenario my ex can be contacted in an emergency... should you wish to get both her mobile & landline I can provide them. She lives in Micklethwaite, only a few miles away.
 Leeds / Bradford area - Mapmaker
>> Mapmaker, what is the point of your post? Seems a bit silly to me.

This whole thread seems a bit bonkers to me. Nothing whatsoever to do with the characters in question, or grooming.

It's silly that you don't worry about stranger danger when it's a complete stranger from an internet forum whom nobody has ever met, but you do when it's a person from a licensed cab company? That seems a bit of a silly comparison to me.

It's silly that you wouldn't mind your daughter catching a cab in the Cotswolds but you would in Leeds/Bradford? That seems a bit of a silly distinction to me.

Silliest is to go to Bradford in the first place! Why oh why is that a place for a school trip?

"If/when you have daughters yourself Mapmaker..." I hope my thoughts would be unchanged.

And finally, I wonder if there's an undercurrent of racism in your worry about the Leeds/Bradford area that is not a worry when you send your daughter out in the Shires on a horse. You're very quick to call people out on racist statements yourself, even to the extent that you won't let your daughter travel with Roger (a bit silly perhaps; I don't know if she could run faster than LL, but I'm fairly sure she could outpace Roger). There's a bit of the SJW in you somewhere... but you seem to have a particular worry about a city where 24.7% of the population is Muslim. Silly? Possibly; who knows.

Or silly to post a link to expensive chauffeured cars services? They're probably not licensed cabs, but they're more expensive.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 1 Sep 17 at 11:30
You're being a dick and I cannot believe I am justifying it with a reply.

>>It's silly that you don't worry about stranger danger when it's a complete stranger from an internet forum whom nobody has ever met, but you do when it's a person from a licensed cab company?

How do you know that's what I think? As it happens, it is not. She can deal with 'stranger danger' in a public place, what she would not know is how to explain exactly where she wants to go, exactly where to find a cab etc. etc. Hence my request was for recommendation for a taxi firm preferably with a man who would stand there with a board.

Do you understand that? I *wanted* taxi recommendations. Do you understand I *wanted* taxi recommendations for Bradford rather than Leeds purely because it was easier for her? Can you grasp that? I wasn't trying to avoid a taxi, I was seeking one.

By the way, we don't really use the phrase "stranger danger" with 15 year olds. It rather detracts from the seriousness of the message. She doesn't eat sweeties or go to beddie-byes either.

>>It's silly that you wouldn't mind your daughter catching a cab in the Cotswolds

Where did you get that from? I don't think anybody mentioned the Cotswolds even. As it happens I would probably worry more since it is less populated and less people around to help. But since she's not catching a taxi there, I'm not sure why you brought it up.

>>That seems a bit of a silly distinction to me.

It seems like a f***** stupid distinction to me, but as far as I can see you are the only one who has made it.

>>And finally, I wonder if there's an undercurrent of racism in your worry about the Leeds/Bradford area

Where on earth do you get that from? Really, do point out where anybody other than you has even raised the question of race.

Though before you answer, a more important question...

Mapmaker, what skin colour have you assumed that my daughter has? [or race for that matter]. Do you have any preconceptions on the colour or race of my wife you might like to share?

I think it is important that you answer that, we ought to understand the position as well as possible, don't you think?

>>There's a bit of the SJW in you somewhere

I don't know what that is. But if it is to do with racism I assure you that there is not. I possess no racial discrimination whatsoever. I don't like dicks though, which seems more relevant.

>>even to the extent that you won't let your daughter travel with Roger

I thought I explained that. But to the extent that it has anything to do with you, it was the conflict in me between abusing someone and taking a favour from them. It was not the subject of the disagreement. Why would I factor in how fast someone could run? Do you know anything? I'd be pretty damned sure she could outrun LL as well, and damned sure she'd have no cause to outrun either.

If it matters, I would actually feel quite sure that my daughter would be safe with Roger, and were it not for our personal disagreements it would trouble me not a jot. I might not like his views on some things, but I bet he'd die in a ditch for a child. I'd say the same for Pat; I fundamentally disagree with her on certain things but I'd still call if my daughter needed help. As I would help them.

Even before this thread though, I would never have said the same about you. You've always seemed just a little "off".

I don't know why you are being such a t*** about this, but you really are. All this b******* about racism, where all anybody has mentioned is towns in general, crime in general and children travelling alone. What is going on with you? Long distance travel is a constant feature of my families life and has been for years. Now my daughter is beginning to spread out her own wings. And this is quite different to her thrice yearly trips up to Atlanta to see her friends.

To be clear, my business and that of my daughter are none of your concern, so since you have nothing of value or use to offer, keep the fluck out of it. You are not someone I would want or trust anywhere near her. Or me.
 Leeds / Bradford area - smokie
Goodness, get a grip people!!! :-)

While it's obviously right to be cautious of "people you've only met on the internet", LL is a well established member here and, while in itself that counts for nothing, this isn't the kind of site where he might have been spent significant time spinning an elaborate yarn of relatives dying, sharing holiday plans and discussing car matters etc just in case another well established member came along with a 15 yo offspring who happened to be visiting his local patch.

When car4play becomes a grooming site, I'll eat HJs hat!!!
 Leeds / Bradford area - henry k
>>When car4play becomes a grooming site, I'll eat HJs hat!!!

The only grooming here that I am aware of concerns things on wheels :-)
I bet Zero grooms his dog
>> I bet Zero grooms his dog

you don't reckon he has "people" to do that sort of thing?
>> >> I bet Zero grooms his dog
>>
>> you don't reckon he has "people" to do that sort of thing?

He does indeed, only yesterday I dropped her off at the dog spa for a wash, cut and blow dry.
 Leeds / Bradford area - sherlock47
>>>dog spa for a wash, cut and blow <<<

your excuse for the diary entry for a visit to the local dogging site?
>> >>>dog spa for a wash, cut and blow <<<
>>
>>
>> your excuse for the diary entry for a visit to the local dogging site?

at 9:30am? Tho I do happen to live near to the UKs most prolific and notorious dogging site.

Wisley.
 Leeds / Bradford area - VxFan
>> Wisely.

There, spelt it correctly for you ;)
Very funny, made me chuckle

Time to head W over the Pennines. Wish me luck.
Exactly, there are several I would trust on here with my daughter, and up to 15 years of chat and life stories has probably told me more about the people here than a taxi driver will have revealed to his employer in a 30 minute job interview.

>> Exactly, there are several I would trust on here with my daughter, and up to
>> 15 years of chat and life stories has probably told me more about the people
>> here than a taxi driver will have revealed to his employer in a 30 minute
>> job interview.
>>

That's fair enough and there are people on here whom I would trust more than people I know. On the other hand this forum is but a fraction of a % of someone's life, and even the detail that you glean about people's broader lives gives no indication as to their other interests and online, or offline, habits.

Certainly better to trust a forum member over a potentially unlicensed minicab driver, though a reputable hotel would surely work with an equally reputable car company.
>>Certainly better to trust a forum member over a potentially unlicensed minicab driver, though a reputable hotel would surely work with an equally reputable car company.

Its a consideration / work I often have to think about. I would rather accompany my daughter at every moment but for two reasons that doesn't happen;

Firstly I simply cannot. Our lifestyle and the phsyical distances we so often have to deal with simply do not permit it.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, as a Father one must teach. And one of the things that must be taught is the ability to look after oneself. this needs to be taught gradually and safely. It is not something one can just dump a child into when they are 16 or 18.

Employees are always a concern because they are just that, employees. An employer is no more likely to know the private life of an employee than we know of each other. Rather to the contrary I suspect.

It is naive to think that the first time someone is caught is necessarily the first time they misbehaved. And the first time anybody is caught for anything for the first time you need to remember that the day before they were almost certainly employed and trusted. As likely to be a taxi firm as anything else.

But the vast majority of people are decent, and until Mapmaker started his whine I was far more worried about her being unaccompanied in a new place than I was about anything else. Don't forget, she is not British and doesn't live there - obviously she lives with me and thus has spent a fair amount of time in the UK, but not alone.
I might be naïve but a girl of 18 is not a child.Just my opinion for what it is worth.
 Leeds / Bradford area - Fullchat
Depends how much exposure they have had out of the 'bubble'. My two have lived in a rural area all their lives and as such were not particularly street wise. A parents job is to protect their offspring to the best of their ability. Drip feed them into the real word and stand further back as you watch them cope.
Protect, and equip them to look after themselves. Tricky balance sometimes.
>>I might be naïve but a girl of 18 is not a child

I may not have been clear.

I know parents who prevent their child doing anything much for as long as they can. The result being that an 18year old suddenly gerts dumped on the big old world with no experience but with all the opportunity.

I have taken the approach, since my children were very little, to expose them to as much as possible and to give them as much freedom as I can, whilst still keeping them safe.

Consequently, by the time they are 18 they will be as capable as I can possibly help them to be.

Funnily enough I was discussing this with my Father yesterday. When I was 17 I went backpacking around Europe on my own, hitchhiking all the way. I'd like my daughters to be sufficiently well equipped to do the same, should they want to. Well, perhaps not the hitchhiking these days, it simply isn't as viable as it once was, and its always been a bit more dodgy for a girl. But certainly with a railcard. though I'll probably worry as much as my Father now tells me he did.

As I have said to parents previously, your children are going to climb difficult trees, you cannot stop them. If you want to help them when they fall and get hurt, then you have to encourage them to climb trees in front of you, not behind your back.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 1 Sep 17 at 20:48

>> As I have said to parents previously, your children are going to climb difficult trees,
>> you cannot stop them. If you want to help them when they fall and get
>> hurt, then you have to encourage them to climb trees in front of you, not
>> behind your back.

My thoughts exactly. When mine were 12, I let them have wine with meals if they wanted it. They rarely did, after the initial novelty. Unlike some, they were never to be found round the back of the village hall drinking tins of cider - it wasn't forbidden at home so there was no point.

When they wanted to do 'dangerous' stuff, from staying out late to travelling my job was to help them to do it safely, not to forbid it.

100% alignment.

I knew two vicar's daughters in my younger years. It went very badly as they switched from Village Vicar's daughter in the spotlight to wild girl at University out of site of prying eyes.

I follow the same approach as Manatee with alcohol and i particularly like how he phrased his final sentence. I shall no doubt copy it and claim it as my own.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 1 Sep 17 at 21:50
I highly recommend you dont introduce your youngsters to alcohol, and climbing trees in the same session.
 Leeds / Bradford area - MD
Ashes to ashes?
 Leeds / Bradford area - Bromptonaut
Miss B is now working as a Grad Trainee in the health service. Some of her colleagues, early to mid twenties, are using trains on their own for first time and are clueless with ticket machines, timetables etc.

When mine were still at Primary School we encouraged them to walk ahead of us on trains/tube and 'help' find the right line and work out a route from tube map. Miss B's friendship with her now fiancee started in her early teens. He is son of family friends who live near Wrexham. We were putting her on trains at Milton Keynes to travel there from around age 14, sometimes changing at Crewe.

Mobile phones and live arrival boards on internet were a help though.
My missus used to flock off to Canada from the age of 16
Can't say I blame her, did she ever come back? :-)
Tea / keyboard & screen, you know the story.
Hope the trip is going smoothly. I'm now in Modane overnight having lost height dropping down from the heights of the Vanoise Parc National. Up n up tomorrow to Refuge Mont Thabor @ 2472m, then 4 day circular high level into Italy & finally Briancon.
No. 1 daughter is now back with me.

She confirmed everything LL said about the area after dark. Not somewhere to be at night, though quite nice during the day (she says).

She also said that there wasn't really anything wrong with The Dubrovnik, its just small, family run, and has little more than a bar and restaurant - "Fine for people who work as much as you" is what she said to me.

Appreciate the help & advice, thank you all.
 Leeds / Bradford area - Pat
Pleased she's home safe, it's never easy cutting the apron strings but it is the best thing in the world we can do for those we love and want to protect.

Pat
I hope that she enjoyed her visit.... may I ask was it a 'cultural visit'? Brontes, that sort of thing. Aeons ago I went on a school trip, aged about 13/14, to Italy. Venice, Rome & Florence. Bored out of my mind, when I would rather have been camping in mud with the Scouts!

Nothing wrong with the Dubrovnik at all, having attended meetings there over the years

Did she get to visit Salts Mill, Haworth & t'Dales?
About half their time was unscheduled and revolved around shopping, fast food restaurants,, various parks. In London they wandered, she and a friend were in Hyde Park for LN of The Proms, they were dancing in Leicester Square had a "good time" in Covent Garden and many other things I shall no doubt never find out about.

Obviously my Daughter was away from the rest of the school in the middle as she spent time with my family.

About half their time was scheduled and covered the following;....

The British Museum
Buckingham Palace
London Eye
London Eye River Cruise
Portobello Market
Houses of Parliament
The National Gallery
Trafalgar Square,
Natural History Museum
Madame Tussauds
Shopping in Oxford Street.
Hampton Court Palace
Windsor Castle
Shakespeare’s Globe
The Tower of London
Show – Wicked
Stonehenge
The Beatles Story - Liverpool
Educational Visit to Old Trafford –Manchester United Stadium
York Cathedral
½ day guided Tour of York
Jorvik Viking Centre
Alton Towers
½ Day Walking Tour in Cambridge
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London

My daughter will spend as much time as she's allowed in museums, art galleries and old buildings, she loves it all.
 Leeds / Bradford area - henry k
Wow that is some trip.

Why anyone wants to go to Madame Tussauds bemuses me.
Every time I drive past it I am gob smacked at the long queues,

>> Why anyone wants to go to Madame Tussauds bemuses me.

Oh I agree, I don't get it at all.

But her ladyship's high spots were the National Gallery, Parliament, The Globe and Madame Tussauds!

She's an embarrassment.
 Leeds / Bradford area - R.P.
Been to Tussauds' once - I think we had free or very discounted tickets - as a one off it was OK. If tourists like it that's fine too. I stood still, perhaps a little too long, and this young Japanese tourist stared at me a little too long ;-)...and jumped when I moved/
 Leeds / Bradford area - Runfer D'Hills
Who do you look like?
 Leeds / Bradford area - R.P.
Not sure. :-)
Apparently if you wear yellow boots then people mistake you for George Clooney's dad.
 Leeds / Bradford area - Ted
>>
>> >> Why anyone wants to go to Madame Tussauds bemuses me.

Or Old Trafford !

>> Or Old Trafford !

You're joking! A bunch of football mad Chilean teenagers going to the famed ground of one of the most famous Football teams on the planet?

Apparently it was a pretty amazing tour as well.

It was The Beatles Experience in Liverpool which bored them all rigid.
I did Old Trafford some 15 or more years back with my daughter. I have no interest in football but the tour guide was a volunteer and made it a really good tour.
Back in the 60s when most UK domestic football stadia were concrete terraces (with a corrugated iron roof if you paid extra) I did a tour of the Camp Nou, appeared to me, a then 12 or 13 year old football fan, like place from another galaxy/time dimension.
 Leeds / Bradford area - sooty123
Sounds like some school trip, I think we had 3 days in a tent in north Yorkshire.
Sorry if I've missed it, how long was she gone, I take it she loved it?
2 1/2 weeks ish, and she loved it. From start to finish.
Just the once!
Latest Forum Posts