Non-motoring > Composite external doors Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 16

Composite external doors - Ambo
My 85-year-old warped, draught-leaky front door has to be replaced. This outfit is asking about 1k to supply and fit a new "composite" version, complete with door furniture:

www.doorsofdorset-compositedoors.com/

"Composite" appears to mean a sandwich of MFI on a hardwood frame, filled with insulation material and the whole bonded to a 2mm layer of GRP. Can anyone comment on experience of this type of door please?
 Composite external doors - Zero
Yup, had one installed at my mothers house. Infinitely superior to plastic doors as they dont drop or droop

I am shortly replacing my front door, it will be a composite one.
 Composite external doors - CGNorwich
The colour fades eventually especially in bright sunlight. You can buy a hardwood door and have it fitted, paint it any colour you like for half that sum.
This may help you decide

www.directdoors.com/help/choosing-your-door/pros-cons-choosing-external-pvc-doors-composite-do/
 Composite external doors - Ted

We had one a few months ago. Cost £800 to buy and me and me SiL put it in one Saturday morning. He's a builder, wanted to do it for free but I snuck a couple of hundred into my daughter's bank account for him. So, a grand seems about right. Lovely bit of kit and feels a lot more secure than the plastic one we took out. Swm chose a nice darkish red with 'diamond' type clear glass.

Our front faces North and is under a canopy so I don't anticipate any colour fade during our lifetime. The old one is still in the yard with it's glass if anyone wants it...free !

People come from all over the world to see it.....well, sometimes visitors say they like it !
 Composite external doors - MD
6-700 fitted.. avoid dark colours especially when facing the sun (if ever that becomes an issue)!
 Composite external doors - legacylad
My Mum needs a replacement side garage door, the old one having rotted. 78" x 30" perchance?
 Composite external doors - Ambo
Thanks for the useful link, CG. I had started to reach the same conclusion over wooden doors.
 Composite external doors - R.P.
Oddly - I have a pair of garage doors here. Free if collected from north east Wales.
 Composite external doors - R.P.
We've just had a composite back door fitted. Secure By Design. It looks and feels good. Far better than plastic in my personal opinion.

I'll measure it later and let you know, Legsby. Going to the kinema now to see...Captain Underpants !
Excellent film !
 Composite external doors - legacylad
Seriously...? Capt Underpants?
Did I say that I thoroughly enjoyed 'Baby Driver'? Think I did. Several times

And 'The Big Sick'... total contrast but still enjoyable nonetheless
Have seen "Baby Driver". It's a great film and so is "Captain Underpants". The latter very funny and totally enjoyable especially viewed with children. It will make you laugh, guaranteed. I like all genres of film - you can't really compare the two but you can enjoy both. Try it.

Composite external doors - bathtub tom
SWMBO took ankle biters to The Emoji Movie, despite dire warnings about it. She said it was quite clever.

Sort of enjoyed Captain Kex....SWM told me I nodded off at some point but that's usual. The lads, 12 and 7 liked it and we ended up in Pizza Hut next door.

For Legacy....The door frame is 36 in wide. 83 in high and there's an opening window above which takes it to 96 in. I reckon the part above 83 could be removed with a hacksaw or angle grinder. The glass is out and I've got all the glazing beads, seals and wedges.
 Composite external doors - Robbie34
When I had an extension to the house a couple of years ago I specified a Rock door which is a composite door and supposed to be totally burglar proof.
www.rockdoor.com/
Latest Forum Posts