Non-motoring > If I was looking for a new TV..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 3

If I was looking for a new TV..... - Bobby
Under a budget of , say £600, what should I get?

TV will be connected to a Virgin V6 box. With Virgin I am getting a pretty basic package but have BT Sports included in the package. It will also be connected to the router for smart tv capabilities and we are currently getting 100mb speeds if that is relevant!

Present TV was 42" Panasonic Plasma but would maybe go a bit bigger, say 49" - no reason really other than the fact the actual TV wont look much bigger due to the modern frameless TVs compared to the Plasma.

So are 4k TVs worth it? Is anything broadcast in 4k now and if not, what is the point of it then?
My panasonic was a pretty good spec at the time as it was 100Hz but I see many are now 50Hz? But I also see specifications seem to change between manufacturers who use different criteria etc?

A couple of random TVs

Richer Sounds, LG, £449
www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/49-inch-smart-4k-hdr/lg-49uh610v

John Lewis, LG, £549
www.johnlewis.com/lg-49uj635v-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-49-with-freeview-play-crescent-stand-black/p3222613

Any (plain language) advice would be appreciated!

Cheers
 If I was looking for a new TV..... - rtj70
>> Is anything broadcast in 4k now

Most content is still HD. Some stuff on Sky is UltraHD as is some Netflix and Amazon Video. And you could get an UltraHD Bluray player. Other than that the TV is making a good guess at what would have been there for some pixels.
 If I was looking for a new TV..... - zippy
I don't like Samsung screens.

Parents have a 50' curved screen Samsung 4k TV films look far to "glossy" on it, I don't know if there is any conversion to 60FPS or something similar but it all looks far to artificial / slick for my taste.

It's especially noticeable on films. Less so on normal programs.

If I was looking for a new TV..... - Hard Cheese
Sony every time. Always good and great GUIs.

Edit: otherwise LG are fine, they make most of the flat panels for others.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Sun 20 Aug 17 at 17:00
Latest Forum Posts