Non-motoring > Trump Gets Worse! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 17

Trump Gets Worse! - zippy
Comparing Neo Nazis with normal folk!

I was taught that it was our duty to fight extremism, far left or far right.

He claimed Neo Nazi's and the KKK were "Alt- Right". No, they are racist, bigoted monsters. The Nazi party wanted to put down anyone that stood in their way. Is he playing a game or can he really not see why they are a problem!?

Re the awful news in Spain, he suggests he suggests following General Pershing's actions, which are considered not to have happened. www.snopes.com/rumors/pershing.asp

Is he suggesting we break the law as there is no capital punishment in the EU, and what about the niceties of a trial? It would create martyrs and act as a huge recruiting tool!

I meet loads of people in my job, which is a real PITA because I am not a people person. One of the nicest guys I know is a Jewish Pole who's extended family escaped Poland in WW2 and came to the UK. The lads all joined up and many served in the RAF. I would prefer him behind me rather than some KKK nut job.

I really don't understand how normal people can work with him. Seriously, I wouldn't be able to!
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 18 Aug 17 at 00:06
 Trump Gets Worse! - Hard Cheese
I am fully with you and am certainly not apologising for Trump though I think he was misunderstood on one point, I think he was trying to say that violence is wrong whether it is instigated by extreme, racist neo Nazis, snip - you know why, thugs or moderate, inclusive, tolerant, tree huggiing anti Nazi protesters.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 18 Aug 17 at 16:44
 Trump Gets Worse! - smokie
Have to say, I agree with you HC. I nearly posted something here along those lines but didn't expect anyone to see it that way.

Without doubt there are more nutters the closer you get to each end of the political spectrum, it's just the cause which they happen to be pursuing for at that time which determines which ones are the baddies (and your own relative stance on whatever the cause is, I suppose).
 Trump Gets Worse! - Focal Point
"... I think he was misunderstood on one point, I think he was trying to say that violence is wrong whether it is instigated by extreme, racist neo Nazis thugs or moderate, inclusive, tolerant, tree huggiing anti Nazi protesters."

You are being naive. In isolation, that sentiment is fine, of course. But Trump chose to ignore the context. His remarks must be judged against the actual events of Charlottesville, which is what he was supposed to be reacting to.

In Charlottesville, an event with the specific aim of "unite the right" was held. In effect, it was an attempt to make a show of force representing extremist right-wing organisations whose common beliefs are anti-semitic, pro-Nazi, white supremacist. I've checked some of their stuff (e.g. Daily Stormer) and it's appalling.

Trump's remarks, ignoring this context, suggest the anti-extreme-right protestors, reacting against this nastiness, are in some way on the same plane.

Trump shows he's either naive (he probably is), or, deep down, has some sympathy for the extreme right (probably also true). At any rate, his wobbling between condemning both sides more or less equally, which he has done twice, and condemning the extreme right, which he has done once, show a weak man who is out of his depth and who has no concept of his presidential role as someone who could unite his nation.

None of this is a much of a surprise. Anyone with half a brain could see what sort of president he was going to be. Perhaps the only surprising thing is the extent of his awfulness.

The slow, inexorable unfolding of the disaster of his presidency is like the stereotypical slow-motion car-crash.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 18 Aug 17 at 16:49
 Trump Gets Worse! - No FM2R
This is worth a look if you're interested...

projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/
 Trump Gets Worse! - Hard Cheese
>> You are being naive. In isolation, that sentiment is fine, of course. >>

No I am not being naïve, I was simply saying what I think Trump was trying to convey, not whether he was right or wrong in what he said and irrespective of any context.

In short I don't think he was trying to defend the Nazi fluffy dice by accusing the moderate protesters, rather he was trying to say that all violence is wrong, though some time it's not what you say, it's how you say it and he has a habit of either saying the wrong thing or saying the right thing the wrong way.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 18 Aug 17 at 16:45
 Trump Gets Worse! - Manatee
He said there were some "very fine people" on both sides. I don't think he actually included the neo-Nazis and KKK in that, but "people marching with [them]".

I can't imagine large numbers of people who aren't at least sympathetic to neo-Nazis and the KKK marching with them. Trump might want to unite rather than divide, but he could have kept his mouth shut as far as that particular remark was concerned.

Very bad, as Trump might say.
Trump said;

"“I’m not putting anybody on a moral plane,” he said. “You had a group on one side and group on the other and they came at each other with clubs – there is another side, you can call them the left, that came violently attacking the other group. You had people that were very fine people on both sides.

“Not all those people were neo-Nazis, not all those people were white supremacists. Many of those people were there to protest the taking down of the statue of Robert E Lee. So this week, it is Robert E Lee. I noticed that Stonewall Jackson is coming down. I wonder, is it George Washington next week? And is it Thomas Jefferson the week after? You know, you really do have to ask yourself, where does it stop?”"

I don't like Trump, and he didn't handle this well, but its not quite as black as the media would have you believe. He was trying to sit on the fence, which is difficult hence why most people in the public eye have that kind of statement prepared for them by a group of people who think about it very carefully.

Much is being made of his popularity figures. One thing to bear in mind is that those figures are surveyed across the electorate evenly, yet he wasn't voted for across the electorate evenly. He was voted for much more heavily in fringe and sub groups. To an extent it is the extremists on all sides he needs to keep happy, not the moderate middle of the road voters.
 Trump Gets Worse! - Robin O'Reliant
It isn't just Trump, Corbyn has been rather slow in condemning the regime in Venezuela. The left are just as much aware of which side their bread is buttered on as the right.
Absolutely.

Politicians are, by and large, self-serving, selfish and fairly incompetent. Very few, if any, are capable of a conspiracy.

Wherever they are on the spectrum.
 Trump Gets Worse! - henry k
One less for him to be concerned about :-(

US President Donald Trump's chief strategist Steve Bannon has left his post.
"He's gone," a source close to the White House aide confirmed to the BBC.
His exit follows a review of his position by White House Chief of Staff John Kelly.
Mr Bannon, a right-wing nationalist and former head of Breitbart.com, was seen as having shaped Mr Trump's election campaign.
But he had struggled for influence in the West Wing with rival advisers and the Trump family, according to US media.
 Trump Gets Worse! - R.P.
Radio 4 have a brilliant "Profile" programme on him _ I'll try to find it.
 Trump Gets Worse! - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b082szm5

Basically he's not a nice man - but very wealthy.
 Trump's Summer - the quiet month - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41037024
 Trump's Summer - the quiet month - Zero
He'll be off to Texas some day the week, not sure He'll tell them that climate change is a myth to.
 Trump's Summer - the quiet month - sherlock47
This has it nailed!

www.facebook.com/BBCLondonCalling/videos/1449423521815581/

Not sure if it will run unless you have a FB account?
 Trump's Summer - the quiet month - Manatee
Same video here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIbfN8yuVTw
 Trump's Summer - the quiet month - Hard Cheese
Very good!
Latest Forum Posts