Non-motoring > What powers do the CAA have over you Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 9

What powers do the CAA have over you - Rudedog
This weekend we have our resurrected air-show now over two days, quite near to the airfield a farmer has for years allowed families to sit in a field and watch the the planes.

This year after nearly 30 years of doing this they have been ordered by the CAA to stop otherwise they will cancel the air-show.

What powers are the CAA using to be able to do this?

What if I decide to go with my family and sit on a footpath that criss-crosses the nearby common will they move me on?

Many are saying that this is just a way of stopping families being able to see the planes for free.

Bit of a cheek since this has been going on for so long.
 What powers do the CAA have over you - MD
Nanny state. I'd take my chance. The odds are good.
 What powers do the CAA have over you - sooty123
I don't think they can but they can ask the organisers to ask to move you on. If people don't then they can stop the air show, since shoreham there's an increase interest about where people observe air shows from.
 What powers do the CAA have over you - CGNorwich
If you enjoy the air show why not simply pay the admission fee and watch from a safe area.?

These shows cost a lot to run. That way you will be supporting the show rather than freeloading and you and your family will be safe.

What powers do the CAA have over you - bathtub tom
I'm a volunteer at an airfield that has airshows.

After the Shoreham disaster, there's been much stricter controls over what can and cannot happen, to the detriment of of many displays in my opinion.

I was at the last, ever flying display of the Vulcan and it wasn't a patch on the earlier display that year, at the same site following Shoreham!

The airfield I'm involved with has to shut local roads, footpaths and other access points as a consequence of the Shoreham accident.

What's your solution Rudedog?
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Thu 17 Aug 17 at 23:12
 What powers do the CAA have over you - zippy
Things will be difficult because of Shoreham no doubt.

I enjoy airshows and haven't been to enough. Airbourne is on this weekend at Eastbourne.

It used to be very good but last time I went (about 3 years ago) the crowds were ridiculous. I would guess tens of thousands. We took the train and despite putting on extra services we had to wait for three trains before we could get one back and includes going for long dinner after the event.

Some recommendations (for the south east / south) would be appreciated.
 What powers do the CAA have over you - Bromptonaut
>> This year after nearly 30 years of doing this they have been ordered by the
>> CAA to stop otherwise they will cancel the air-show.
>>
>> What powers are the CAA using to be able to do this?

The CAA regulate and licence airshows. Participating aircraft are required to follow a display line which, amongst other things, ensures that in event of an accident debris will fall clear of the crowd and land in unpopulated areas which need to be kept unpopulated. If people cannot be kept out the display will not be permitted.

A public footpath could, with appropriate permission, be closed for duration of the airshow on safety grounds. A risk assessment will determine whether that happens.
 What powers do the CAA have over you - Zero
The CAA have no power over you, they gain nothing from having any power over you, they have no interest n controlling you.

They are however quite interested when aircraft fall into people, and would like to stop that. So you walk where you like as you wish, and the CAA will stop planes falling on you by banning them from flying over you
 What powers do the CAA have over you - Rudedog
Thanks all, the field that this is in usually holds a boot-fare there every other weekend, it's not that near to the airfield and is on the other side of the valley in Biggin Hill.

As residents we used to be offered reduced ticket prices to encourage us to go and watch plus to compensate for the traffic control's that are put in place, but recently this has stopped.

The field is really used for families to have a picnic and a play while the planes are in the background, it's no different than if I sat inside the airfield and ate my sandwiches.

I've lived here all my life so am well aware of all of the crashes we have had.
 Dartmouth air display axed in boaters safety fear - henry k
Some more folks watching in the "wrong " place

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-41060141
Latest Forum Posts