Non-motoring > The National Conversation - immigration Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 6

The National Conversation - immigration - Crankcase
In the light of the spectator sport that is the reasoned and enlightening exchanges about Breximmigration here, especially with reference to the Fens, this might be of interest:

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/cambridgeshire-residents-blame-immigrants-housing-13481173

Also, at the end, it says you can apparently "have your say" at

www.nationalconversation.org.uk

should anyone wish to.

I suppose it's faintly interesting that Cambridge City has a slightly different view to March.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 17 Aug 17 at 16:32
 The National Conversation - immigration - Pat
It certainly confirms what I've been saying and why.

>> and March, in the agricultural heartland of the Fens, where 71.4% opted to exit the European Union.<<

I live just 6 miles from March and find it odd that Cambridge is considered part of the Fens.

Spalding. Kings Lynn, Downham Market would have been a better comparison.

Pat

The National Conversation - immigration - Dutchie
Why are so many of these jobs not filled by the local people? I understand that so many jobs are seasonal but even so employ people throughout the year if possible.

Is it East Europeans people voted against I.E Brexit or all foreigners including Asians.You could debate this forever.I get my clogs..;)
 The National Conversation - immigration - Harleyman
>> Why are so many of these jobs not filled by the local people? I understand
>> that so many jobs are seasonal but even so employ people throughout the year if
>> possible.
>>
Ask a farmer and he'll probably tell you that British natives are simply not up to the job.And it's true.

Back in the early days of West Indian and Asian immigration, such people took on jobs which British people considered beneath them, sucyh as cleaners and bus conductors etc. Nowadays our homebred "yoof" all have degrees in dance and social awareness and other such pretentious nonsense, so of course they can't be expected to get their lilywhite hands dirty picking cabbages. Those who are too thick or idle to go to uni still have it far too easy on benefits; and it goes without saying that if they're too idle to go to school they won't last long in the workplace.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 20 Aug 17 at 17:55
 The National Conversation - immigration - movilogo
>> Those who are too thick or idle to go to uni still have it far too easy on benefits

So the solution is to stop the benefit then.

Immigration from outside is only a short term solution for a long term problem. The immigrants will become old one day and will put strain on infrastructure. Immigrants' children will inherit "lazy" British culture within a generation.

The National Conversation - immigration - PeterS

>> >>
>> Ask a farmer and he'll probably tell you that British natives are simply not up
>> to the job.And it's true.
>>

Or, looking at it from another angle unemployment in the UK is sub 5%. To some economists that's pretty much full employment, allowing for the usual churn etc. So the chances of any of them being in agricultural areas and looking for a seasonal job are low. And I say that with some (albeit limited) knowledge... The UK workers we can get are generally pretty good; the Poles / Latvians / Lithuanians do on the whole like having them in their teams... but there rent enough of them. It's a short term issue though; any farmers with sense is only growing things for which growing / harvesting can be automated!
 The National Conversation - immigration - Cliff Pope
>>odd that Cambridge is considered
>> part of the Fens.

I had ancestors who came from Bottisham and Stow cum Quy fens just outside Cambridge, and in fact moved there (immigrants you could say) just as they were being drained and new farmland being reclaimed.
Fen Ditton is just down-river from Cambridge. I think it's reasonable to consider Cambridge as a gateway on the fen borders?
It's certainly cold enough in winter to be considered a fen - the wind comes in straight off the Urals, as they say :)
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Sun 20 Aug 17 at 18:44
Latest Forum Posts