Non-motoring > Roof problem? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 10

Roof problem? - bathtub tom
I was up in the loft (reading a '60s Haynes) and I noticed a white, possible growth-like on a rafter where it's adjacent to the roofing felt, but it feels hard to a thumb-nail pressing into it. There's the pointed end of a nail sticking out the side of this rafter, so possibly a batten nail? The rafter is black on the top surface heading towards the eaves. I also noticed another, nearby rafter with similar black staining on its upper surface.

It tippled down soon after, so I climbed back up but both rafters were dry.

The house is a 1960s, Wimpey built and the affected rafters are on the North facing side of the pitched roof. I've been in it for nearly forty years.

I'm wondering if this could be some kind of wood rot and the dark staining indicating water ingress.

What's the opinion, get a builder/roofer in to pull off some tiles to check the battens and felt?
 Roof problem? - Zero
The dark staining is stuff leaching out of the nail, the white* is salts leaching out of the tiles.

* like salt or sugar yes?
>>* like salt or sugar yes?

Right. But if it's leaching out, wouldn't that indicate the presence of water?
 Roof problem? - Dog
Might be an idea to inform SETI, you never know - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SETI
 Roof problem? - MD
If the timber isn't damp then it is likely that the best course of action is to do nothing.

MD
 Roof problem? - Cliff Pope
It wouldn't do any harm to spray some wood preservative just in case.
I've had a builder I trust look at it. He seemed to come to the same conclusion as me from a look inside the roof, but found it dry after a shower. He took a tile off from the outside, perhaps looking for evidence of water staining on the underfelt? Declared the roof to be fine with no evidence of cracked tiles, leaks or any other problems.

He made no charge and refused a few quid for a pint. Guess who I'll use in the future.
 Roof problem? - MD
Hate to say I told you so.

Another good Builder here.

Best...........MD
>>Another good Builder here.

But would you have travelled to Bedford for no fee and turned down the price of a pint? ;>)
 Roof problem? - rtj70
Let us hope there is no problem and the free builder replace the roof tiles properly. I am sure they have and their services will be rewarded.
 Roof problem? - MD
Quote the whole message next time eh!
Latest Forum Posts