Non-motoring > Private Pilot's Licence. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 18

Private Pilot's Licence. - MD
Does anybody here have any experience of this regarding costs?
 Private Pilot's Licence. - No FM2R
I can tell you that when I got mine it was cheaper to fly to the US for an intensive course, even including living expenses, then it was to do it in the UK.

California in my case.

I seem to recall it cost me about £2,500 all told. Though that was 30 odd years ago. (b***** hell I feel old).

Goodness knows if that is still the case, worth a check though.
Have you kept it up so to speak?
Yes. Should you ever be here I'll take you for a flight around the Andes to prove it.

Flying is not cheap, but finding time to keep it up is really the problem.
 Private Pilot's Licence. - CGNorwich
Seven Grand for a PPL about Five Grand for a LAPL.

Details here.

www.goflyuk.com/prices/
OUCH!
 Private Pilot's Licence. - Robin O'Reliant
>> OUCH!
>>

Cheaper than a new Fiesta or a fitted kitchen and much more fun.

Go for it.
Martin, I finally got around to having a look at this....

See this site

flyinglessons.co.uk/how-much-does-a-private-pilots-licence-cost/

Seems credible and their estimate is that to take your test in the UK would cost you around £10,000 - £12,000 when considering all costs. Two advantages to that, firstly you could do it wihtin reason at your own speed, secondly you may well negotiate that down by agreeing a package with whoever will teach you. It is *always* worth going to one of the little local airfields near you.

Or you could go and do it abroad. I didn't put much effort in but this will give you an idea...

Expedia will give you 18 nights in a nice but cheap hotel in San Fran, just off Fisherman's Wharf, plus a car [small], plus direct flights [Delta code share] LHR/SFO for £2,990 next spring.

Someone like this crowd (though this one is near to LA rather than San Fran) will give you a start to finish package of $5,965 US all in. Right now that's about £4,500.

www.californiaaviationservices.com/pilot-training/private-pilot-license.html

So you could have 2 1/2 weeks holiday in San Francisco, rental car thrown in and come home with your FAA PPL for £7,440. Obviously if you took someone with you they'd mostly just increase the flight costs so it wouldn't go up much in the scheme of things.

Converting the FAA licence to a UK PPL should be easy. It used to be about £50 quid, a written exam and an hours flight. I couldn't quickly find out what it is now. It may have change a little or a lot.

If any of this is in the realms of interesting let me know and I'll find out definite figures for sure because all of this was a very quick check.

Ok thank you. I'm looking for something interesting to do for ME if you get my drift, but money plays a huge part in it all. I thank you for your time thus far and if I want to pursue it further I will mail you. Kind regards.
It is expensive, now way around that.

Once you'd got your licence you can rent a 2/3 seater for about £80/£90 per flying hour.

What you can also do is wander down to a flying club for a nose around and to get to know people. I once had free use of an aircraft in return for some consulting services. And we all know you b***** builders are more expensive than a consultant!

Also a trial flight is probably around £75 for 30/40 minutes. That's well worth it before you get into any commitments.

Lastly, you can learn at your own speed over time. And thus pay over time.

Really best to go down for a chat. If you can get over your natural shyness.
Got to get up early this morning get more time at work as the hourly rate is appalling!

>>Natural shyness.

Boom boom. O:-)
 Private Pilot's Licence. - Duncan
This may be of interest. There was a piece about it on BBC Radio 4 yesterday. I am trying to remember the programme - 'You and Yours', possibly?

en.wingly.io/index.php

There is also a company called IIRC SkyUber, who do something similar.
 Private Pilot's Licence. - CGNorwich
If the cost is too high consider learning to glide or perhaps a microlight.
CG triggers a thought;

A PPL is good for two reasons; you can actually go places and yoy can take someone with you.

If, however, actually you want to do something just for yourself which is a bit exciting, then I reckon I have just the answer for you - paragliding.

5 days and £400 for Elementary pilot, a further 5 days and £400 for club pilot. And then you are free to fly alone. You can do this as a course or a day here or there You use club gear to learn on and then buy your own if you wish. About £1,000 will get you a good and complete set of secondhand gear.

You'll be able to go anywhere and time you like, even abroad. And it is serious, serious fun.

Again, will get you better details if this interests you.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 30 Jun 17 at 13:58
Have you ever worked at the Foreign Office Mark?
I've certainly worked *for* them. Why?
 Private Pilot's Licence. - R.P.
You and Yours. R4 is compulsory when painting
 Private Pilot's Licence. - Fursty Ferret
>> This may be of interest. There was a piece about it on BBC Radio 4
>> yesterday. I am trying to remember the programme - 'You and Yours', possibly?
>>
>> en.wingly.io/index.php
>>
>> There is also a company called IIRC SkyUber, who do something similar.
>>

Don't.

Although the licenses are verified no other checks are made of their members competency, and the number of accident reports published each month by the AAIB make sobering reading.

You either want to fly yourself, or know the person who's going to be flying you very well and able to judge how they might react in an unexpected situation.

If you get a PPL and consider this to make flying cheaper, remember that someone is trusting you with their life and they may not be truly aware of the risks. Consider an instrument rating. Consider that even experienced pilots can struggle in instrument conditions, and don't underestimate the power of somatogravic illusions.

Best of luck though with learning to fly - my advice is make a holiday of it and so somewhere warm and sunny like Phoenix, San Diego or Florida where they like planes and don't charge approach and landing fees.
>>DONT.

Wingly or sky uber or both?
Latest Forum Posts