Non-motoring > Name that tune... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 10

Name that tune... - smokie
Can anyone name the original band and song for me please?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCs7A8AxKEg&t=3s

Sounds a bit Duane Eddy-ish to me.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 24 Jun 17 at 15:33
 Name that tune... - Robin O'Reliant
I think it's Peter Gunn, though at a faster tempo -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV_oDWLEL5I

Thanks, could be, but I'd already discounted that. Been through most of my Duane collection (!!) and can't find it.
 Name that tune... - Dog
I have the same axe as that cream Strat with Rosewood neck ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjiOtouyBOg
Thanks Dog, I knew someone here would know it... :-)
 Name that tune... - Haywain
'Wipeout' was originally recorded by the Surfaris in 1962; the Ventures first covered it in 1963. If you've got a pre-1963 Strat, I hope that you've got a good lock on your door ;-)

Actually, I didn't notice a Strat in the Youtube video? Maybe it had been doctored?
"Actually, I didn't notice a Strat in the Youtube video?"

Ah - got it, you were referring to the op, not the link in your post.
 Name that tune... - Dog
>>Ah - got it, you were referring to the op, not the link in your post.

Mine is a Jap Strat, worth all of £450 :)
"Mine is a Jap Strat, worth all of £450 :)"

The second guitarist in our band had a cream Jap Strat - I think with a maple fretboard. It was an excellent instrument and he'd had it for some years after finding a Les Paul too heavy. Alas, he decided that he wanted something a bit more prestigious replacing the Jap Strat first with a modern US Strat, then a Hamer, then a Paul Reed Smith and ultimately another modern US Strat. After all those, he maintained that his original Jap Strat was the best instrument and he always regretted selling it.

They are now highly prized instruments - so hang on to yours!

I suppose we are always searching for the Holy Grail of instruments - the guitar that will enable us to play like Mark Knopfler or the racket that will make us play like Andy Murray or the car that will allow us to drive like Lewis Hamilton!
 Name that tune... - Dog
>>They are now highly prized instruments - so hang on to yours!

Indeed. Mine is an E series, so mid 80's build - reckoned (by some) to be as good as a US jobbie.

I could have played the guitar (on the MTV) as good as Mark Knopfler, as could you (maybe you can) if we had put as much time and effort into it as we did with our chosen careers.
I've now found it in my music collection - also versions by the Beach Boys and the Fat Boys.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 24 Jun 17 at 17:33
Latest Forum Posts