Non-motoring > Hot weather and bad reception Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 8

Hot weather and bad reception - Rudedog
Does anyone know if the recent hot weather has an effect on a wifi or mobile signal?

Over the past few days my home wifi and mobile has suffered from constant drop-outs.
 Hot weather and bad reception - tyrednemotional
...I don't thi that the wea has any noticea effec on wif or mobile sign

(with apologies to Norman Collier).

;-)
 Hot weather and bad reception - Runfer D'Hills
I used to have a BlackBerry with a faulty letter "T".

I migh have menioned his before. I kep i for a while bu i became irriaing in he end and I swopped i for an iPhone.
 Hot weather and bad reception - tyrednemotional
...you weren't on T-Mobile at the time?.....

;-)
 Hot weather and bad reception - Haywain
"Does anyone know if the recent hot weather has an effect on a wifi or mobile signal?"

I don't know if it could possibly be related, but our satellite tv signal has been decidedly dodgy.
 Hot weather and bad reception - legacylad
Just means I have to shout louder to the bar staff from the beer garden
Problem solved
 Hot weather and bad reception - Bromptonaut
The conditions we have now can certainly affect propagation of radio signals. Effect will be different according to frequency and may inhibit local propagation while allowing distant signals to travel further.

In 1995 we had poor reception of UK analogue UHF TV while simultaneously suffering interference from Holland/Germany.

Hot weather and bad reception - No FM2R
What happens with the TV signal is that the high pressures causes the signal to travel further. Thus causing or encountering interference that it would not normally.

That is not likely to be the case with WiFi or Cellular. High levels of humidity, up to and including rain, can affect such signals since the water can absorb them.

If there is a connection then most likely is that its the heat causing your cables, phones or other boxes to overheat.
 Hot weather and bad reception - Zero
There is no such thing as "local propogation" it's a complete misnomer, temperature or or more precisely temperature inversions and the related meteorological effects are the single biggest influencer of signal propogation and it's related undesirable interference effects, tho lunar and solar events can also play a part.

Most of these things tho have little effect on Satellite, more down to earth things like rain, snow and leaves on trees kills that.

And in summary the current weather has FA to do with your wifi
Latest Forum Posts