Non-motoring > Cat pee odour Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 12

Cat pee odour - Ambo
Our adopted stray female tortoiseshell cat (known colloquially as The Phantom Sprayer) died 4 years ago but the memory lingers on. It really does. The hot weather just now brings it on strong. I would not have kept her more than a week but it turned out that she had become essential to my wife's life, indeed her very existence. Threats of tying herself to the car's bumper or of divorce deterred me but can anyone suggest how to get rid of the smell permanently?

Plug-in air fresheners are not strong enough. Liberal applications of aerosol fresheners to carpets, floor-length curtains and the airspace in general give only temporary relief.
 Cat pee odour - Robin O'Reliant
New carpets, curtains and soft furnishings.

You know I'm right.
 Cat pee odour - Ambo
Would probably need new floorboards and wall painting as well.
 Cat pee odour - Mapmaker
>>new floorboards

Are you sure that the odour isn't febreze? I once moved into a place where the previous owner had dogs. I soused the carpet in febreze daily for weeks. Then eventually took it outside (ugh, really unpleasant) and set fire to it. I can't bear the smell of febreze these days; I think I prefer the things its supposed to hide...
 Cat pee odour - madf
It's the scent of stale male sweat.....
 Cat pee odour - Cliff Pope
I don't believe the odour of anything lasts 4 years - unless she died under the floorboards of course.
It must be something else - psychological perhaps?
 Cat pee odour - CGNorwich
I very much doubt that the smell is anything to do with your cat. Chief suspect is the air conditioning which I guess you are using a lot more in the hot weather. Bacteria living in the air con. ducts give off an ammonia cat pee type stink. You need to get it professionally cleaned.
 Cat pee odour - rtj70
ambo is talking about his home not the car - does he have aircon at home?

If the carpet was not replaced I'd start there.
Right. Misread the question. I would in that case agree with you. The carpet would be the place to start.
 Cat pee odour - rtj70
When our cat was elderly and didn't go out much we had to use litter trays. But she failed to use them properly and so urine got on the carpets.

I kept the carpet cleaner at hand for months. Eventually she passed away (still missed) and the carpet did have a faint odour. We soon replaced the hall/stairs/landing carpets after her passing. Odour went. It did not get into floorboards.
 Cat pee odour - Roger.
Cat pee is no worse than human pee. When my father-in-law popped his clogs, after years of being catheterised, with the usual drips and spills, particularly of his overnight bag, his bedroom was ripe. We took up the carpet and binned it, scrubbed the wooden floorboards with bleach and deodorised them.
The odour, like a memory, lingered on somewhat, though.
 Cat pee odour - smokie
I think spraying isn't just pee, I haven't researched the science but an unknown cat came into our house and sprayed in the kitchen a couple of years back and it smelt disgusting, the next day let alone months later. Marking territory and all that.
A lot of plants and shrubs smell like cat wee. If you want to start a collection you need to include Choisya, Box, and Flowering Current. :-)
Latest Forum Posts