Non-motoring > Living underground Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 19

Living underground - Crankcase
Dog made a comment in another thread. I didn't want to reply there - not really appropriate - so here will do.

Your comment about living underground, Dog, means I now HAVE to see Sharu, The Mole People. Another four hours tracking it down and then sitting through it. It sounds so dire it will be worth it I'm sure. Ta.

io9.gizmodo.com/12-crazy-fictional-worlds-located-inside-the-earth-1493231001

Living underground - Dog
Cheers Cc, I'll check that out later - I've been listening to more of The War of the Worlds :)

I quizzed my wife about living underground ... she's not too fond of the idea.
 Living underground - Bromptonaut
>> Cheers Cc, I'll check that out later - I've been listening to more of The
>> War of the Worlds :)

Thought I recognised the line.
 Living underground - Crankcase
I should have worked that out. But the chances are a million to one.
 Living underground - devonite
If Kim yong thingy and Trump kick off, we'll all have to! - I once went down a pot-hole for an hour and that was long enough! thank you!
 Living underground - madf
Anyone been to the Underground hospital built in WW" in Guernsey ? (Or was it Jersey?).

Miles of tunnels. Claustrophobic. (solvable)..

Not too good in wet rock...
 Living underground - VxFan
So, are you proposing that we all become Teletubbies?

Eh Oh
 Living underground - Bromptonaut
>> Anyone been to the Underground hospital built in WW" in Guernsey ? (Or was it
>> Jersey?).

Not that one but I've been down a preserved section of the Maginot Line. Not somebody who's bothered about confined spaces but I'd go stir crazy under those conditions.

Regular problem at time apparently.
 Living underground - BiggerBadderDave
Try Zurich. So many tunnels that it drove me crazy. I just couldn't get to a mate's apartment because the satnav never works. Then you come out of a tunnel and just as the satnav starts to take its bearings, you're back in another. So frustrating. What's with all the tunnels, I asked. They're not tunnels, he said (as he picked up his glasses and wiped the blood off his lips). It's all cut and cover. And a lot of the reason was just to protect the environment.

Now we just call them The Moles.
 Living underground - Zero
>> >> Anyone been to the Underground hospital built in WW" in Guernsey ? (Or was
>> it
>> >> Jersey?).

Both have them, the one in Jersey is better known, but the one in Guernsey is much much more extensive, not at all touristy, and really quite spooky.
 Living underground - sooty123
Loads in Gibraltar, the rock is full of tunnels. There's all sorts of interesting things in them in the one shut off to the public though. Theres a huge cavern with an old power station in it.
 Living underground - Dog
I'm going underground - before I die! www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1ct5yEuVY
 Living underground - Dog
The Mole People looks like a riot, it's a wonder I haven't seen it before at some time www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gbcUCC7vxQ

I used to know a chap who lived underground. He had built a single story dwelling into the hillside of land he owned in North Cornwall (St Breock Downs) It faced south and the whole frontage consisted of double glazed patio doors that he'd rescued from the tip. Had old Lister diesel generators charging a bank of batteries to run his 12 volt lighting, a large wood-fired stove on which he had spiraled some narrow-gauge copper pipe all around the flue for heating his water.
He also had a large wind generator, some solar panels, and a water-fed turbine generating system.

He had to pull it all down in the end because he didn't have and couldn't get planning permission for it!!
Ok if we are into esoteric and hammy science fiction on screen

Lets all live in space

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaDLf2wJ9Jg

www.imdb.com/title/tt0074061/

Living underground - Dog
Ah, the late Gareth Thomas, one of my faves in Blakes 7. Never heard of Star Maidens before, and I'm a sci-fi buff.
Looks good!
 Living underground - Ted

One of our biker trips saw us at the Maginot Line at Ville la Ferte. A small cemetery across the road contains the graves of the soldiers, mostly Algerian, and the french officers who were gassed out by ze Boche. Fascinating place, particularly the cast steel domes above which held the guns. Now rusty and pock marked where 88mm shells have pinged off.

Interesting fillum came up on my Facebook last night about a secret room in the cliff face at Mount Rushmore. The entrance is quite visible above Lincoln's ear. It's so secret, np-one knows what's in there and it's guarded by armed National Guards with titanium doors to the inner chamber.

>> Interesting fillum came up on my Facebook last night about a secret room in the
>> cliff face at Mount Rushmore. The entrance is quite visible above Lincoln's ear. It's so
>> secret, np-one knows what's in there and it's guarded by armed National Guards with titanium
>> doors to the inner chamber.

Not that secret

www.thesun.co.uk/living/1285937/take-a-look-inside-room-in-mount-rushmore/
 Living underground - Ted
All those photos came up on the Facebook thingy. That's just the entrance gallery. It's the inner chambers that are the mystery.
 Living underground - Duncan
>> Not that secret
>>
>> www.thesun.co.uk/living/1285937/take-a-look-inside-room-in-mount-rushmore/

Quote:-

"This secret room can be found behind the head of Abraham Lincoln, and was designed to serve as a Hall of Records to tell the complete story of the United States’ history"

Wouldn't have to be a very big room!
 Living underground - Bobby
I visited the salt mines near Karakow earlier in the year.

Fascinating place but freaked me out a bit being that far underground. Not helped by starting off going down an enclosed wooden staircase for about 15 mins and thinking if someone dropped a match here, or had more deliberate intentions, there was no way out and no sprinklers / fire protection
Latest Forum Posts