Non-motoring > Podcasts Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 21

Podcasts - No FM2R
Any recomendations?

British preferably

Not necessarily comedy, but not unduly heavy going either.

Shorter rather than longer.

Thoughts welcome.
 Podcasts - Dog
Howls about: lbc.audioagain.com/presenters/4-steve-allen
 Podcasts - No FM2R
Dog, that Steve Allen podcast appears to be one I have to pay for. Is that right or just because I'm in South America?
 Podcasts - Dog
>>Dog, that Steve Allen podcast appears to be one I have to pay for. Is that right or just because I'm in South America?

Strewth! .. I listen to him 'live' now and again and he can be entertaining. He has been in the business for decades I believe. The ole woman likes listening to him but that's no recommendation!

Indeedy, it is a paid for podcast in Blighty too.

Podcasts - CGNorwich
Kermode and Mayo's film review. Witty, lots of in jokes, need to give it a but of time but hugely entertaining.

Am listening to the British History Podcast at the moment. Actually American although the podcaster was born in th UK. Have listened to 190 episodes of the back catalogue so far. About 20 mins long each episode. Anglo Saxon Hisotry does sound heavy going but this guy makes it very entertaining but at the same time give you information you never knew. Reccomended .

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 12 Jun 17 at 08:36
 Podcasts - smokie
My diet is mainly comedy from the BBC

- Fri night comedy (tends to toggle between the News Quiz, which I like, and the Now Show, which i can take or leave
- Comedy of the Week (varied, in content and quality)

and Private Eye irregularly do one on a specific topic or two, usually taking a different line or fleshing out something which has already been in the mag

And the Archers omnibus for SWMBO...

I expect you've found the Beeb central podcast page www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts
 Podcasts - Crankcase
My meagre contribution is the History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps, which probably fulfils none of the initial requirements at all. It's about a zillion episodes, but I like it.

Having said that, I get to listen to one episode of twenty minutes about once every two months, so I'm unlikely to ever get to the end, especially as I've always entirely forgotten the last one.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 12 Jun 17 at 09:38
 Podcasts - commerdriver
The main ones I have picked up as archives worth looking at are the Desert Island Discs podcast and the infinite Monkey Cage

I used to like the news quiz but Jeremy Hardy eventually irritated me once to often.
 Podcasts - No FM2R
Don't like Jeremy Hardy, got Desert Island Discs, looking into Monkey Cage.

Thank you.
 Podcasts - No FM2R
Crankcase, I like stuff I don't know much about so I shall give the philosophy recommendation a go. Thanks.
 Podcasts - No FM2R

>> I expect you've found the Beeb central podcast page www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts

I have now. Thank you.
 Podcasts - No FM2R
CG, there's seemingly more than one British History podcast. Can you tell me any more? like the presenter's name for example?
 Podcasts - CGNorwich

Here is a link

www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com/
 Podcasts - No FM2R
Thank you.
 Podcasts - No FM2R
CG,

Thank you so much for the British History podcast recommendation, its outstanding and I am thoroughly enjoying it, and learning a lot!

Sincere thanks.

Mark.
 Podcasts - CGNorwich
Pleased you like it. The guy is really good isn't he?
Never really knew much about early English history. Have now reached the time of King Alfred after about 200 episodes!
 Podcasts - No FM2R
Some really good suggestions that I would never have found for myself. Thank you all.
 Podcasts - Crankcase
Ones I forgot that I've found very interesting - The History Network, which is military history through the ages. So you might get WWII or Ancient Sparta or Medieval Holland - all good stuff.

Veritasium - physics podcast, all really short - things like why women have a different chromosome, or "Climate Change is Boring", that kind of a snippet.

Two more history ones - History of the Crusades, and also History of Rome - self evident I think. Both very well done.

Radio Theatre Group - all sorts of poetry and plays.

And lastly, in my "obscure" section - Asia-Pacific Field Recordings, where they plonk a mic on a beach, or in a street, or a construction site, or up a mountain, and you just listen to the sounds. Weird but I like that a lot for going to sleep with.

Podcasts - CGNorwich
That reminds me. I enjoyed the Revolutions podcast.

Covers English, French , American, frevoluions etc. The fifth series covers the wars of independence in South America. It might be of interest if you are living there.

www.revolutionspodcast.com
 Podcasts - Dog
Howls about: www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039dks7/episodes/downloads (in the trickcyclists chair)
 Podcasts - No FM2R
Oh that looks interesting. Thanks.
 Podcasts - No FM2R
Despite having enough listening material for the next million years or so, i seem to be a bit light on comedy.

I enjoy and profoundly miss Brit humour. What's good at the moment?

I'm not really into Python and similar old stuff, I really used to enjoy ISIHAC, Just a Minute and similar. I like Peter Kay, Lee Evans and other simple stuff.

Any recommendations?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 14 Jun 17 at 04:38
Latest Forum Posts