Non-motoring > Santander bank and security Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 15

Santander bank and security - bathtub tom
I've a Santander current account. I don't normally use their branches, but passing one earlier today I nipped inside (it was raining) and used an ATM. It said I could use it contactless and let me withdraw over £100 without any other security than my card being present.

I've contacted them to ask for this facility to withdrawn, but thought others here may appreciate a 'heads up'.
 Santander bank and security - Zero
Its only available at ATMs with a security camera, your picky gets snapped for each transaction.
 Santander bank and security - zippy
How easy is it for them to swap a picture captured at a previous visit with one that was taken for the disputed transaction?
>> How easy is it for them to swap a picture captured at a previous visit
>> with one that was taken for the disputed transaction?

who is "them"?
>>who is "them"?

The bank claiming you took money out when you didn't.

Financial industry worker who saw a debenture release come in unsigned and appeared signed in the file later that day - and how it got signed!
>> >>who is "them"?
>>
>> The bank claiming you took money out when you didn't.

So the bank worker is going to make a note of the time and date you last came in, hack into the camera file, copy a clip out, steal or copy your card, take money out, hack into the camera file at exactly the right time and date, insert the copied clip? for a 100 quid?

A UK bank issues ATM cards with just 3 possible pin numbers, e.g.
5498, 9142 and 8563 no other numbers.

So if a card from that bank was stolen there was a guaranteed result at a cash point machine.

www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/21/phantoms_and_rogues/

So yes.

Probably not how you describe but phantom withdrawal reported at a certain time. Clerk under pressure not to authorise too many refunds, etc.

As I said, I have seen a high street, big 4 bank fake a debenture release.
 Santander bank and security - BrianByPass

>> As I said, I have seen a high street, big 4 bank fake a debenture
>> release.
>>

A bank? or a crooked employee of a bank? If an employee, was he/she brought to justice? If not, why not? Was your eyewitness evidence not good enough?

If it was a bank, and you are sure of your facts, why don't you announce it to the public?

>> If it was a bank, and you are sure of your facts, why don't you
>> announce it to the public?
>>

Director of the bank, so as a junior, the bank. Lots knew. The document went through various departments in its original form. All marking it as unsatisfactory. Only a few were surprised at its returned condition.

The particular director has been sacked.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 9 Jun 17 at 01:50

>> www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/21/phantoms_and_rogues/
>>
>> So yes.

So no, you have read something, That is a completely unrelated series of events, some of which is pure hearsay, from the early 90s and then made 5 from 2+2
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 9 Jun 17 at 01:50
 Santander bank and security - sooty123
fake a debenture release.
>>

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debenture
>>Debenture.

In the UK, similar to a charge like a fixed or floating charge. If someone had a debenture on an asset you would ask for a release before lending against it. The company releasing the debenture may still have the charge registered at Companies House and give the new lender priority over their claim by giving a release. They would keep their charge to capture any value of the asset remaining after a sale.

Thanks zippy, but that's way over my head. Nearest I come to financial industry is using the ATM!
>>Thanks zippy, but that's way over my head. Nearest I come to financial industry is using >>the ATM!

It gets more complicated annually. I get lost by lots of it and each new compulsory exam gets harder.

Think of it as a mortgage. The bank may release their rights on the house to another bank so that the owner can take a further loan. The first bank will have enough other houses owned by the borrower to cover their original loan.
> Think of it as a mortgage. The bank may release their rights on the house
>> to another bank so that the owner can take a further loan. The first bank
>> will have enough other houses owned by the borrower to cover their original loan.
>>

Thanks, that's a little bit easier for me to get my head around.
Read today that Barclays are going down the route of contactless cards for ATMs also.
Latest Forum Posts