Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 18

Peter Sallis - RIP - VxFan
Known for Last of The Summer Wine and Wallace & Gromit, has died age 96

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40165443

edited to correct a spelling mistake
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 7 Jun 17 at 10:26
 Peter Sallis - RIP - Hard Cheese
Sad though 96 is a very good age!

What about the others, are any left of the original old boys?

Or was he the last of the first of the Last of the Summer Wine ...

Peter Sallis - RIP - zippy
"Where's the cheese Gromit?"

Loved the Wallis and Gromit films and his voice was perfect and his lines superbly delivered, bringing a bit of Yorkshire to Plasticine, even though he was born in Twickenham!

RIP
 Peter Sallis - RIP - Ted

I used to enjoy the early shows with Sallis, Owen and Michael Bates. The others involved just seemed to be The Battys and The couple in the cafe.

Over the last few years the series seems to have become a resting place for actors coming to the ends of thier careers with too many people and too many sub-plots. It should have been pulled years ago IMO.

I always liked Sallis. He had a long career and featured in many films and TV shows before Summer Whine.

I saw him and some of the others filming in the main street in Huddersfield once when I left the office for lunch. Some pimply 14yr old director told me I could walk past but not to look at them. No please....I stopped and stared !
 Peter Sallis - RIP - Manatee
Last episode was made in 2010! I used to watch it to spot the locations, being from Cleckhuddersfax.

Good quiz question for the telly round - who were the original three? Compo and Clegg of course, the one that eludes is Blamire, played by Michael Bates.

We came across LOTSW filming in Marsden a few years ago, in the Bobby Ball era. About 2006 I think, when we were doing a bit of trans-pennine narrowboating via Standedge tunnel.

I liked Sallis, even if his Yorkshire accent slipped now and then. It was still a lot better than Bill Owen's.
 Peter Sallis - RIP - Zero
What a thoroughly boring programme that was, so far beyond its sell by date it needed to be unearthed by archaeologists.
 Peter Sallis - RIP - CGNorwich
Format was used by "Top Gear" though. Old blokes with nothing better to do mucking about with stuff.

Peter Sallis - RIP - Crankcase
Caught five minutes of an older Top Gear the other day on tv. It looked just like it always has, but it suddenly felt amazingly ancient as a format when they described the car as "driving an Amstrad 2000 through a branch of Dixons".

Never saw anything significant of the wine programme, but only Peter Sallis could have done Wallace, surely. Great stuff.
 Peter Sallis - RIP - Duncan
>> even though he was born in Twickenham!
>>

Be careful.

There are some very fine posters on this forum who were born in Twickenham.
>> There are some very fine posters on this forum who were born in Twickenham.

But all the men have odd-shaped balls
>> What about the others, are any left of the original old boys?

Info available here

www.imdb.com/title/tt0069602/fullcredits/

There's a few of the later cast still alive and kicking by the looks of it.
 Peter Sallis - RIP - sooty123
I think he voiced wallis perfectly. LOTSW was a show you had to be a certain age to get. I never found it even slightly funny, someone must have though.
>> I never found it even slightly funny, someone must have though.

My parents loved it. So much so, I arranged for their 40th wedding anniversary a tour (via Shearings Coach Holidays) of the area where it was filmed, along with either a visit to the Emmerdale or Coronation Street set (can't remember which).
 Peter Sallis - RIP - CGNorwich
It was of course filmed in Holmfirth which benefited much from the publicity. Its appeal was to the older generation and young children. My two used to love the early series. We once stayed in a property overlooking Holmfirth and were delighted to find that it was where "Compo" stayed when shooting the series.

Gentle harmless comedy.
 Peter Sallis - RIP - Mike Hannon
I think a lot of the comedy in early to middle-era LOTSW episodes was very clever but I suppose it went over many people's heads. I enjoyed it in my 20s, 30s and 40s so I don't accept it was for kids and the elderly. Of course I haven't seen the programme in the past nigh-on 20 years.
My b-i-l lives at Holmfirth and I think it's a lovely place and a perfect picturesque backdrop for the gentle humour.
I thought early Wallace & Gromit was brilliant but it became vastly overdone - presumably, again, to appeal to those not the brightest bulbs in the electrolier.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Tue 6 Jun 17 at 13:31
 Peter Sallis - RIP - No FM2R
I very much enjoyed the early seasons; it was a bit off beat, pleasant and amusing, rather than out and out funny.

Later on though it just became one more sitcom out for lowest common denominator laughs.
 Peter Sallis - RIP - BiggerBadderDave
For me, it's a bit like Coronation Street - I never ever watched one, but knew the characters and storylines. Equally on Summer Wine, I was always aware of it and knew all the characters, but flicked the channel if it ever came on. There was absolutely nothing about it that did it for me. Well, with the exception of Marina, of course. A randy old bint in a miniskirt and fishnet tights who couldn't keep her legs together. Fantastic. Need more of that in life.
 Peter Sallis - RIP - Mike Hannon
Perhaps you're living in the wrong place son...
After a few Close Shaves, Wallace & Gromit star Peter Sallis has passed away at the grand old age of 96.

Relatives say it happened after he drank the Last of the Summer Wine on a Grand Day Out, and realised he was wearing the Wrong Trousers. He subsequently tripped, fell, and choked on his own Gromit. Details are a bit Foggy though, and its unsure as to whether his family will be seeking Compo.

Cheese and crackers will be served at his wake.

edited to include something I missed out earlier
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 7 Jun 17 at 13:11
Latest Forum Posts