Non-motoring > Vegetable trivia Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 23

Vegetable trivia - Crankcase
They're repeating the eighties tv programme called "The Victorian Kitchen Garden" on the television at the moment. We liked that a lot the first time around, and are enjoying it just as much this time. Gentle tv at its finest with a theme that sticks in your head all day.

Anyway, the two old boys who present it use three syllables for the word "vegetables", as in "veg-eh-tables". In our house we use two - "veg-tables".

Right/wrong? Lazy/correct? Generational/regional? Old fashioned/modern?

What do you say?
 Vegetable trivia - Dog
Are two martyrs vegtables, or are they froots?

Slight thread drift; ole woman was telling me about a work colleague who had to *replace her two couches.
I'd never call a sofa a couch, but I would have called them settees in a previous life.

*Turns out the ole man had put a load of weedkiller down causing the dogs to spew-out from both ends!!!!!!

Don't ask about the vets bill (I said don't ask!)
 Vegetable trivia - VxFan
>> Don't ask about the vets bill (I said don't ask!)

How much was it?

;)
 Vegetable trivia - CGNorwich
You only need one syllable. Veg

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 5 Jun 17 at 08:23
 Vegetable trivia - Old Navy
Or veggies.
 Vegetable trivia - Ambo
Pronounce "vedget'ble" with the stress on "veg".
 Vegetable trivia - Manatee
vej-i-tubbles
 Vegetable trivia - CGNorwich
Vegan is pronounced loopy.
Now that I've woken up a bit, I realise I meant "three syllables or four", not two or three. Anyway, a spot of googling leads to audios that all say veg-tuh-bul, as opposed to the version I'm hearing on the programme - veg-eh-tuh-bul.

Of course, that led straight to an interesting article. As in, is it "intresting" or "inter-est-ing".

Hmm.

Vegetable trivia - Hard Cheese
Yep - veg t'bull
 Vegetable trivia - Bromptonaut
Thought this was going to be a thread about Jeremy Corbyn's allotment:

www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2017/jun/04/plot-corbyn-allotment-politics-labour-leader-clues
Looks like he knows his onions, and isn't worried about leeks.
 Vegetable trivia - No FM2R
>> Thought this was going to be a thread about Jeremy Corbyn's allotment:

I thought it as going to be about Jeremy Corbyn.
>> Thought this was going to be a thread about Jeremy Corbyn's allotment:
>>

Is that what he calls his Shadow Cabinet ...
 Vegetable trivia - Dog
My German byrd used to speak propa English, like. A vegtable was a veg-et-table, and intresting was inter-resting.

She tried (oh howl she tried) to get me to speak propa, like; AND hold a nifen fork correctly!!!

One particular word she picked me up on was thought, which I would (and do) pronounce as fort :(

Needless to say ... our relationship didn't last.

(*_*)
 Vegetable trivia - Runfer D'Hills
Think it maybe depends on your accent. As a Scot, I think I say "veg-eh-table". Most Scots dialects result in most elements of words being pronounced, albeit accented. For another example, I'd say "Bir-ming-ham" in full, whereas I notice that other regional accents have it as "Buhmingum" losing or swallowing the "i" the "r" the "a" and "h" sounds.

But, it disnae really matter does it, provided we all ken fit each other mean. Like.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 5 Jun 17 at 12:56
 Vegetable trivia - Zero
>> Think it maybe depends on your accent. As a Scot, I think I say "veg-eh-table".

Scots pronounce vegetable "chips" (actually comes out as CHUPS)
 Vegetable trivia - No FM2R
3 syllables for me, 4 for the girls.

Generally the girls use all the syllables clearly. I think its related to being multi lingual.
 Vegetable trivia - Runfer D'Hills
You could be right there, most other indo-European languages have a convention ( with some exceptions of course ) of pronouncing whole words. As opposed to the tendency in English speakers to swallow syllables.
 Vegetable trivia - sooty123
As opposed to the tendency in English
>> speakers to swallow syllables.
>>

Ouch, sounds painful.
 Vegetable trivia - devonite
My old Mum used to call em Roots 'n' leaves!
 Vegetable trivia - Dog
A lot of peops in the olden days used to call them pot 'erbs www.thefreedictionary.com/Potherbs
>> Generally the girls use all the syllables clearly. I think its related to being multi
>> lingual.
>>

Do you mean multi linguine ...
 Vegetable trivia - Cliff Pope
Those who learn their pronunciation, like the aspiring middle class and foreigners, lengthen words.
Those who inherit it, like the upper and lower classes, shorten them.
Latest Forum Posts