Non-motoring > Bicycle saddles Buying / Selling
Thread Author: MD Replies: 12

Bicycle saddles - MD
I resurrected my pushbike after fitting new tyres 9 months ago and riding it twice!

A couple of days ago I shocked myself and covered several miles off road, flat and smooth that is. The aim is to aid my dying knees which several colleagues say will help.

The only thing I need now is a decent rest for my aching arrse. Someone has suggested a Gel seat and as I've just bought Gel knee pads this would seem to make sense. Question is though, are all Gel seats born equal? Any sensible advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Bicycle saddles - Bromptonaut
An aching b*m often follows the first ride out of the season. Try getting back on in a couple of days and see it it re-occurs.

Personally I've always gone for a proper Brooks saddle in leather - got them on all three of my regular rides. Feels as hard as a rock but actually has just enough yield to be really comfortable even on a 70 mile touring ride.
 Bicycle saddles - Ted
I'm with this ^ giza ^

I have a Brookes on my EVO7 folder. The leather will eventually mould itself to the rider's bummle. It's adjustable as well....the saddle, I mean.
 Bicycle saddles - MD
What a choice and what a price! I guess the bike is only worth £30.00. 0:-)
 Bicycle saddles - Rudedog
With the right kind of attachments your saddle can stay with you and go to a new bike so worth the investment, also orientation is important, nose up or down, the difference of just a few degrees can make a lot of difference on a long ride not just your sit bones but your back, I've kept my Selle Italia saddle for years.
 Bicycle saddles - Runfer D'Hills
Your backside will toughen up with use. A gel saddle is a bit like a soft mattress, comfortable at first but won't support you. Better to suffer the re-acquaintance with a hard saddle for a while.

Anyway, as your cycling skills reawaken, you'll find that you tend to push your weight through your feet more than your bum. Think of the saddle as a sort of perch to balance and steer with with rather than a seat you're sitting on.
 Bicycle saddles - VxFan
Alternately, just buy some of this

www.bicycling.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/AssMagic.jpg
 Bicycle saddles - Robin O'Reliant
>> Your backside will toughen up with use. A gel saddle is a bit like a
>> soft mattress, comfortable at first but won't support you. Better to suffer the re-acquaintance with a hard saddle for a while.
>>
>>
>>
True indeed, steer well clear of gel saddles or anything described as a "Mattress" saddle. A saddle should be firm enough not to bottom (Geddit!) on it's base when you sit on it and should be wide enough to support your sit bones. It should also be dead level, none of this nose up or nose down stuff.
 Bicycle saddles - martin aston
Also it helps to read the road surface ahead and take the bumps on slightly bent knees rather than letting the saddle thump you where the sun don't shine.
 Bicycle saddles - Zero
Ignore them all they are all cycling masochists. Go with the Gel saddle, I did and it was the best money spent on earth.
You still fell off when you ran over your dog though if I remember correctly?

;-)
 Bicycle saddles - MD
Thanks Zed and all.

BTW Zeddo talking about Dogs. Is Evie still in the frame?
Of the bike?

Don't think so...

;-)
Latest Forum Posts