Non-motoring > Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 86

Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 45 *****

==============================================================

Continuing debate

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 12 Mar 18 at 12:52
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Dog
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4527444/Brexit-virus-feared-sausages-imported-Europe.html
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - zippy
Scaremongering as usual to get Brexit in the papers and scare voters!

Most food has bugs on it which are killed by cooking it well.

Typical Wail article, I only posted it for a joke. I had a banger sandwich for lunch and just cooked them normally.
e.g in the oven (fan) 170c for 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
>> I had a banger sandwich for lunch and just cooked them normally.

Grrrrr!

Not allowed sausages. Mrs has forced me on to a diet.

Very very annoyed. I will be trying the Slimming World ones tomorrow and will report back.

(This board better not be changing in to Mumsnet!)
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Old Navy
>> Not allowed sausages. Mrs has forced me on to a diet.

Hospital consultant "You have lost weight". Me " My wife is on a diet". Consultant "Tell her from me to keep it to herself" At least my weight has stabilised. :-)
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - CGNorwich
If you are"forced" into a diet it will not work. You need to change you mindset so you want to lose weight and eat a balanced diet. If you want to eat the occasional sausage do so but they can't be a regular feature!
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Robin O'Reliant
>> If you are"forced" into a diet it will not work. You need to change you
>> mindset so you want to lose weight and eat a balanced diet. If you want
>> to eat the occasional sausage do so but they can't be a regular feature!
>>
>>
The way to achieve a balanced diet with sausages are to eat them in pairs. Even numbers of sausages are balanced, whereas odd numbers can't be as the law of physics will soon tell you. So four sausages are healthy, three are lethal.

Long as you remember that law you can have as many as you like without putting on weight or damaging yourself. The same law applies to squares of chocolate or pieces of cake.
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Old Navy
And cola is lethal unless diluted with dark rum!
>>but they can't be a regular feature!

Problem was I liked too many of them in crusty rolls with lashings of brown sauce!

Sausage Rolls with flaky pastry is another of my favourites.

I am doing ok on the diet. It is Slimming World and it is proper food and proper, if not bigger portions when veg and fruit is included.

It really concentrates on cutting fat* and sugar out of the diet and the curries are very good.

*unfortunately fat adds flavour to a lot of food.
These weren't just any old sausage, they were:

www.debbieandandrews.co.uk/our-food/harrogate-pork-sausages
>> These weren't just any old sausage, they were:
>>
>> www.debbieandandrews.co.uk/our-food/harrogate-pork-sausages
>>

Rub it in why don't you!

:-)
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - smokie
Swmbo (and therefore I) have been on Slimming World for ages. I've not lost much at all but I still have fairly massive portions of stuff, but at least it isn't sugars and fats.

Anyway Porky Light sausages were all the rage in SW a bit back, then there was something of a brouhaha over whether PLs were as fat free as they claimed. However I don't really care as they are the tastiest sausages I#ve had for many years.
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - sooty123
whether PLs were as fat free as they claimed.

PLs?
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - VxFan
>> PLs?

Porky Light sausages (as already mentioned in the post)
Fairly massive portions ain't going to do it I'm afraid.

The only way is too eat significantly and get used to it. Drastically reducing booze, bread fatty foods, cakes, pastry, sugar and fried food and eating a lot more fruit and vegetables. After a few months you will actually prefer your new diet. I couldn't face a fried breakfast these days..
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Zero

>> After a few months you will actually prefer your new diet. I couldn't
>> face a fried breakfast these days..

You may be trying to fool yourself, but you aint fooling us.
I shouldn't think I have had a fried breakfast in ten years.

The food we eat is mainly a matter of habit. If you were bought up in say India or Greece you diet would be vastly different to a typical English diet and you would be equally attracted to it and enjoy it just as much. It just what you get used to.
>> I shouldn't think I have had a fried breakfast in ten years.
>>
>> The food we eat is mainly a matter of habit. If you were bought up
>> in say India or Greece you diet would be vastly different to a typical English
>> diet

Its called "knowing no better"

Funnily enough us brits go out and eat greek, indian, chinese, turkish, thai, Vietnamese,

We steal the best bits from all round the world, so what about the Indians and greeks?
Most British people are still very conservative in what the eat and the average diet is overloaded with fat sugar and cheap carbohydrates. Sure the middle classes might be more adventurous with their food but just look at what is in a lot of people's shopping trollies and just look at the size of the people pushing them.
>> just look at what is in a lot of people's shopping trollies and just look at the size of the people pushing them.

You shouldn't talk about Xero like that:

The following posts or content are not allowed:

1 Personal insults
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Runfer D'Hills
"Trollies" ???

Tut tut, how very dear me...

Trolleys

Good Lord...

;-)
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Clk Sec
Were there any pastys on the trollies?
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Cliff Pope
>> Were there any pastys on the trollies?
>>

Words ending y change to ies in the plural.
Words ending ey simply add an s.

eg story, stories; storey, storeys

There are bound to be some exceptions, but I can't think of any off hand.
Money becomes correctly, moneys, but is often misspelled monies.
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Focal Point
"Money becomes correctly, moneys, but is often misspelled monies."

Not so. "Monies" is acceptable and will have to be regarded as an exception to the rule. It is used only in a financial or quasi-legal context, not in ordinary usage, and means "sums of money".

"Moneys" might conceivably mean "currencies", which "monies" cannot mean.

The rule, by the way, should be that a word ending in consonant plus y becomes -ies in the plural. All others add an s. (E.g. Buoy > Buoys.)
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Duncan
>> These weren't just any old sausage, they were:
>>
>> www.debbieandandrews.co.uk/our-food/harrogate-pork-sausages
>>

That recipe for 'Sausage Boulangere' looks v. tasty!
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Crankcase

>> (This board better not be changing in to Mumsnet!)

Yanbu, hon, but ltb anyway.

Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - legacylad
I often lose weight on holiday. Love salad....mixed leaves, a few nuts, olives, tomatoes, peppers, small amounts of chorizo & cheese. After a few days I'm off the beer and onto G & Ts which helps
Just booked a 10 day gulet trip end of June ( my first) and will probably lose half a stone in that period. 6 days holiday based at Lockton, limping around the NY Moors before then and I'm going tee total for that week.
Am in Kefalonia at the moment, one of my favourite Greek Islands. Greek food is perhaps the ideal diet. Lots of salad, vegetables, fruit and fish which I love.

My weakness was always wine. Drank far too much. Now I ration myself to one bottle per week but since I spend far less on the stuff I make that bottle a really good bottle spending two or three times what I would have previously.
Greek food The Mediterranean diet is perhaps the ideal diet. Lots of salad, vegetables, fruit and fish

:-)
>> The Mediterranean diet is perhaps the ideal diet. Lots of salad, vegetables, fruit and fish
>>

Possibly, but there's not much in it - as regards life expectancy, that is.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_life_expectancy
I have siblings in their eighties, but none of them are a picture of health, far from it in fact!!

>> Possibly, but there's not much in it - as regards life expectancy, that is.
>>
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_life_expectancy

Looks like we all need to go to Iceland. Must be the prawn ring.

>> Looks like we all need to go to Iceland. Must be the prawn ring.
>>

That extra 2 years in Iceland will seem a lot longer!
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Ambo
>>Now I ration myself to one bottle per week but since I spend far less on the stuff I make that bottle a really good bottle spending two or three times what I would have previously

Similar strategy chez Ambo except we drink one bottle per week between two (with one night off). It is enough: I now start to feel uncomfortable if I exceed this limit.
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Clk Sec
An alternative use for the egg cups in your house, ambo?
 Severe cases of 'Brexit virus' reported - Ambo
The amount looks convincing enough in the smallest size Paris goblet. Mind over matter.
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - Dog
Massive effigy of Theresa May flipping V-sign at Europe erected on White Cliffs of Dover:

uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-election-may-scaffolding-idUKKBN18W27X
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - sherlock47
>> Massive effigy of Theresa May flipping V-sign at Europe erected on White Cliffs of Dover:
>>
>> uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-election-may-scaffolding-idUKKBN18W27X
>>

But as somebody else has pointed out, a 2 dimensional effigy, just like the real thing:)
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - zippy
There are some infantile prats around.
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - Manatee
Such as the people who took it down;)
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - Lygonos
Looks like she took advice for her latest photo

s2.b3ta.com/host/creative/96253/1496420069/mayvote.jpg
Gina Miller doesn't have a man date :o

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/813601/Brexit-Gina-Miller-Ukip-Godfrey-Bloom-Europe-EU-Brussels-Theresa-May-election-polls-2017
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - Roger.
order-order.com/2017/06/28/european-commission-plans-eu-wide-taxes-to-fill-post-brexit-financial-black-hole/
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - Zero
>> order-order.com/2017/06/28/european-commission-plans-eu-wide-taxes-to-fill-post-brexit-financial-black-hole/
>>
You wait till you see your taxes and cost of living rises, you will be squeaking in protest, still price worth paying and all that
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - No FM2R
This will be too complicated for Woger, but for those of you with a brain here is the actual document, rather than a dumbed down sensationalist extract.

ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/reflection-paper-eu-finances_en.pdf

For those who like selective quoting, then you might like this one...

"The departure of the United Kingdom and the elimination of the associated rebates would already remove some obstacles to reform on the revenue side of the EU budget."

Essentially not only would the UK not be getting rebates, they would also not be taking a share of the EU investment and project finance. It might not sound like it, but it does matter whereabouts in the balance sheet stuff fits.

One should also understand (not you Woger, its got syllables) that this is what they call a "reflective document" - a discussion document if you like. What Woger seemingly calls "a plan". Bless.

Now I am a lot cleverer than Woger, and I mean a lot, but its not clear to me in absolute and direct financial terms how the UK will fare even if it does fully disassociate itself from the EU - which is most unlikely I'm afraid. And if I don't know, nor feel safe in predicting, then I'm damn sure that Woger doesn't.

For example, no doubt you all saw the recent announcement about the absence of mobile roaming charges within the EU. In the future that may be an increase in cost for the non-EU UK. How is that factored in? Or Airline surcharges and refunds, insurance rules, money transfer regulation, etc. etc.

The document I link to has no more answers for you than Woger's toy link for the hard of living, but at least mine was written by intelligent people.

p.s. aside from me trying to wind Woger up, I actually quite recommend the linked document. Its quite an informative set of thoughts, with a fair few facts and figures in it, whichever side of the in/out fence you prefer. Do remember that its written by very pro-EU people though who do not have the UK at the centre of their priorities..
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 28 Jun 17 at 21:29
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - Cliff Pope
Over the top and unnecessary. A comment on the actual linked source, together with the other link, would have been enough.
>> Over the top and unnecessary. A comment on the actual linked source, together with the
>> other link, would have been enough.

I quite forgot the importance I place upon your approval.
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - CGNorwich
Enough to respond?
>> Enough to respond?

Always. I wish it were otherwise.
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - Dutchie
Listening to some of the continental forums the biggest problems they perceive is E.U citizens working an living in the U.K and Brits on the continent.

The rights and which courts will be involved when there are problems.
I have a cousin who has lived in Berlin for 20 years, she is quite upset and worried about the whole thing.
One of my dogs is a French Shepherd but born in Cornwall. I wonder if heel be allowed to ... stay.
Last edited by: Dog on Thu 29 Jun 17 at 13:09
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - Hard Cheese
>> One of my dogs is a French Shepherd but born in Cornwall. I wonder if
>> heel be allowed to ... stay.
>>

Does he woof English?
I'm in the process of teaching him Worzelese at the moment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKZQvoe0Rok

(*_*)
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - movilogo
>>biggest problems they perceive is E.U citizens working an living in the U.K and Brits on the continen

Ultimately it is who can control the other. Ideally law of the land should have priority over EU jurisdiction but that's not what EU wants.

The whole point of Brexit was to counter Freedom of Movement of people. I don't think anyone one on either side cares about freedom of movement for goods, service or capital. But since EU wouldn't allow to deal 4 freedoms separately, it caused the whole chaos.

I still see comments about price of things going up after Brexit, as if higher price = bad, lower price = good. Yet same people rejoice when house price goes up!!

The price rise of many things will be offset by fall in house price etc. (thus lower mortgage/rent).

In fact, if some EU migrants really leave (I doubt they will based on fact they will be allowed to stay in UK anyway) then that will create a shortage of workers which would push the wages up.

My take is that nobdody knows how economy will pan out, everyone is trying to prove their opinion as facts. These so called experts could not predict 2008 crash. So, I just don't pay any more attention to could/might etc. :-)

Economics will win, that's almost certain.
I voted remain though as a country we voted leave, I don't subscribe to the Sturgeon "if we ask the question enough times we might get the answer we want" policy so we simply need to crack on and leave while making it as painless for all as possible.

In which regard we simply need to take an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach, few laws will need to change, rather it's the jurisdiction that will change, EU to UK.

So EU citizens should have the right to remain though they will live under the jurisdiction of UK laws rather than EU laws. London rather than Brussels will be the final arbiter, little else needs to change.

The PM's plan for EU citizens seems quite fair in principal though is an opening gambit, she needs to have something to concede to Brussels, so I suspect that the five years residency to qualify for "settled status" might be reduced, maybe to three, perhaps to two years.

>>In which regard we simply need to take an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach, few laws will need to change, rather it's the jurisdiction that will change, EU to UK.

Not as simple as that regrettably. Its not simply whether or not we wish to retain the agreement, it also relies on the other party wishing to sign with us once we are not part of the EU. Will the cell phone operators care as much, for example.

This is quite a good article. One needs to ignore the barely concealed opinion and just consider the facts which are mostly accurate.

www.ft.com/content/f1435a8e-372b-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e?mhq5j=e2

I agree that we have voted to leave and now we need to do so, at least in name. I just wish the political prevarication and grandstanding would give way to some serious knuckling down.

Because ultimately, whether people like it or not, freedom of movement is just not that significant in the scheme of things; it'll be barely more than a bargaining chip with lip service paid to restriction.
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - sooty123
The link is behind a pay wall.
Oh, sorry.

On the school run at the mo, will sort it out in a bit.
If you Google the following phrase and then click on the FT link, you should get straight to it.

After Brexit: the UK will need to renegotiate at least 759 treaties
>>The whole point of Brexit was to counter Freedom of Movement of people

Was it? So in your mind the whole thing is simply about EU citizens coming to the UK?

S'funny, because I'm sure I've heard people say quite firmly that there was more to it than that.
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - DP
>> >>The whole point of Brexit was to counter Freedom of Movement of people
>>
>> Was it? So in your mind the whole thing is simply about EU citizens coming
>> to the UK?
>>
>> S'funny, because I'm sure I've heard people say quite firmly that there was more to
>> it than that.
>>

I wouldn't say the whole thing is simply about this issue, but I can state with no doubt whatsoever, that the majority of leave voters I have spoken are very vocal about getting freedom of movement scrapped, and that immigration was one of the big issues that prompted them to vote leave.

>> I wouldn't say the whole thing is simply about this issue, but I can state
>> with no doubt whatsoever, that the majority of leave voters I have spoken are very
>> vocal about getting freedom of movement scrapped, and that immigration was one of the big issues that prompted them to vote leave.
>>

There are two points here, it's important not to confuse them:

1/ Freedom of movement post Brexit.

2/ Status of EU citizens who currently live in the UK & UK citizens who currently live in the EU.
>>
>> There are two points here, it's important not to confuse them:
>>
>> 1/ Freedom of movement post Brexit.
>>
>> 2/ Status of EU citizens who currently live in the UK & UK citizens who
>> currently live in the EU.

You are of course correct, but sadly there's a lot of "Send 'em all home" sentiment among the people I speak to. Not all, but a lot of them.

I have a Bulgarian chap in my team at work who is currently renting a flat in London with his girlfriend (also Bulgarian). They've been in the country for 18 months, both earn good salaries, and the lease is coming to an end on their place. They are both happy here, and were on the verge of buying a place, but this has all been turned on its head by the uncertainty (5 year cut off is no good to them). I would hate to lose him. He's brilliant. And a genuinely nice person as well.

The bit that gets lost in all the rhetoric and statistics is that what happens now affects real people with real lives and feelings. Anything that affects the status of existing EU citizens in the EU is also going to have a significant impact on business.

Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - movilogo
>> turned on its head by the uncertainty (5 year cut off is no good to them)

What exactly is the uncertainty here? They are here for 1.5 years. UK will take at least 2 years to leave EU. So by 2019, they will have stayed in UK for 4 years. By all means they would be allowed to stay at 1 more year and then they can get permanently settled status for life.

I bought my first house in UK as a non-EU migrant under a work permit with only 2 years remaining in my visa!

All non-EU migrants (e.g. Indians, Chinese, Americans, Australians etc.) had suffered lot more uncertainty (UK govt suddenly changed HSMP rule in 2008 affecting those who are already in UK too).

The only reason these EU migrants are upset because they have to spend couple of grands to apply for British citizenship, which they had no plan to do under old/existing EU rules.

Plus, they are also likely to compete (post 2019) with migrants from all over the world - which would make their lives far more competitive.
them)
>>
>> By all means they would be allowed to stay at 1
>> more year and then they can get permanently settled status for life.

As the deal is not yet done, nobody knows what is going to be allowed in 2019, or what the final deal will be. That is the point. Anything beyond "we have triggered Article 50 and will be leaving the EU by 2019" is complete guesswork. Nobody knows what it means, what the terms of leaving will be, and what impact it will have. And at the moment, there is a strong possibility that they will not qualify for permanent residency based on a 5 year timeframe.

>> Plus, they are also likely to compete (post 2019) with migrants from all over the
>> world - which would make their lives far more competitive.

I'm not sure what mean here. Can you please explain?
 Referendum Discussion, Brexit, etc - Vol 44 - rtj70
>> immigration was one of the big issues that prompted them to vote leave.

One of my neighbours gave examples of migration he wanted to stop and why he voted to leave the EU. His examples included Somalis, Libyans, Iraqis,.... none of his examples were EU citizens. So his vote had nothing to do with leaving the EU. He also has a property in Bulgaria. Doh.
 Brexit Vol: 2,123,769,231 - No FM2R

This article talks about how Customs borders will work after Brexit...

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40922177

One of many interesting comments/statements is this one...

"the UK's regime would "align precisely" with the EU's, for goods that will be consumed in the EU"

So we're expecting the EU to align with the UK? No, of course not. The UK will align with the EU. As I have said a number of times, we'll still follow all the rules, we'll still pay, but we won't be called members....

Also this...

"[David Davis] did not rule out the UK paying to be part of the arrangement"

Still, price worth paying............
 Brexit Vol: 2,123,769,231 - smokie
Paying won't be a problem, remember how much is being saved per day? I'm sure the NHS won't mind giving some of it up... it's all for a Good Cause, after all.
 Brexit Vol: 2,123,769,231 - Pat
The NHS has it's own good cause to fund

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jeremy-hunt-private-bathroom-44000-nhs-cuts-health-secretary-office-tory-conservative-a7891846.html

Pat

Brexit Vol: 2,123,769,231 - No FM2R
Did you read the whole article?
 Brexit Vol: 2,123,769,231 - Pat
Of course not, as a Brexit voter I am actually unable to read or understand anything, if I am to believe some of the posts I read today.

Pat
 Irish Border - No FM2R
So, essentially the desire is for a free or loose border between The Republic of Ireland and the UK.

So, how long before Ireland is simply a way station?

www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-40941393
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 16 Aug 17 at 13:10
 Irish Border - rtj70
I lifted this from the Telegraph:

"A document about the relationship with Ireland says "it is important to note that immigration controls are not, and never have been, solely about the ability to prevent and control entry at the UK’s physical border"."

So BREXIT will not prevent migrants entering the UK. Solves the border problem I guess but not migration. Just hope they all stay in Northern Ireland and don't try to enter Great Britain I suppose.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 16 Aug 17 at 16:36
 Irish Border - sooty123
I read that statement as it doing more than that, not that it was incapable of it.
 Irish Border - rtj70
But there won't be any physical border crossing, no people manning any crossing points or even cameras. So there will be no control over who can enter the UK from the EU. Similarly going the other way.

You could interpret that scenario as freedom of movement.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 16 Aug 17 at 17:20
 Irish Border - sooty123
I read it as a generic statement, 'and have never been' rather than anything specific.
 Irish Border - sherlock47
Eire is not a member of Schengen - this will limit the opportunities for setting up a a Calais - Cork ferry service. If they were, the french could of moved the Jungle to Ireland in one simple move.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Wed 16 Aug 17 at 17:31
 Irish Border - The Melting Snowman
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40972776
 Irish Border - Bromptonaut
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40972776

A response:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/21/will-brexit-boost-or-hurt-economy-free-trade
 Irish Border - Robin O'Reliant
Guesswork on both sides, like most economic predictions. If there was a science behind economics we'd never run into any problems, the answers would all be there.

Arguing about the wisdom of in or out is last year's battle, let's just get on with it and fight our corner.
 Irish Border - Bromptonaut
>> Arguing about the wisdom of in or out is last year's battle, let's just get
>> on with it and fight our corner.

As stated previously while Remain was a pretty clear cut option Leave covers a host of meanings.

Minford's offer is based on 'hard' Brexit.

There are other choices - some of which the Leavers have forgotten they advocated.....
 Irish Border - Manatee
Minford himself IIRC always said UK manufacturing would decline faster if anything with Brexit, leaving only high-tech which he said was "really like services" (I paraphrase I think).
 The Future Role of the ECJ............. - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40630322
Latest Forum Posts