Non-motoring > local elections Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 35

local elections - sooty123
How has it gone in your local area? Any surprises or what you expected? Round here cons have gone from the biggest party but NOC to a thumping majority.
 local elections - Hard Cheese
Conservatives seem to be making massive gains all over, all the more of an achievement as mid term elections often become a protest against the incumbent government.

Strange that while the Cons increased their majority massively in Somerset as the LDs expense, the Con leader of the council lost his seat to LD Tessa Munt, the former MP.
 local elections - zippy
From Red to Blue here. Been Red for a while too.

Even the local mayor lost their seat.
 local elections - Zero
>> From Red to Blue here. Been Red for a while too.
>>
>> Even the local mayor lost their seat.

Well, at least UKIP got a pasting. The only seat they kept was an ex BNP one. Which says it all really, just the racist rump left.
 local elections - Robin O'Reliant
Several factors have come into play this time. Corbyn is regarded as a joke, UKIP have not only lost their reason for being but are in total disarray, the Lib Dems are P'ing into the wind regarding Brexit and even most Remainers are accepting that now we are leaving we're better off with someone who can throw some proper punches during negotiations.

Even though the local elections have nothing to do with all this, people still largely vote on national lines.
 local elections - Manatee
I might have said this before, but May is not coming across as somebody who has any idea what to expect or any clue about negotiation. I hope the professional help comes to the rescue.

Since becoming PM she has been thrust into the light. I don't think she was actually much of a Home Secretary on close examination but she talked a good game and kept her head down the rest of the time. Now there is no hiding place and she looks very uncomfortable.

Perhaps she is just following advice with the invitation only meetings and the planted patsy questions, on the basis that in facing the public properly she has little to win and a lot to lose; but Corbyn and even Farron are making her look like a shop window dummy.
 local elections - No FM2R
>>May is not coming across as somebody who has any idea what to expect or any clue about negotiation

I think the problem is that her direction is bot being driven by her own belief or conviction. She is being driven down a road she does not emotionally buy into by a need to remain popular with those damnable Daily Mail readers.

But she is not getting any credibility because even they realise that she is not convinced by her own words, so they will never be.
Sounds a reasonable theory. So we can add insincerity to the charges:)
>> Sounds a reasonable theory. So we can add insincerity to the charges:)

I'd have started with that!
>>
>>
>> I think the problem is that her direction is bot being driven by her own
>> belief or conviction. She is being driven down a road she does not emotionally buy
>> into by a need to remain popular with those damnable Daily Mail readers.
>>
>>
>>
The Daily Mail has a circulation of less than 1.5 million copies per day. People vastly over-rate the influence of the press on the voters opinions, one because few voters read a newspaper and two because it is the readers political views that influence a paper's direction, not the other way round.

"It Was The Sun Wot Won It", was never more than cobblers. The Sun is terrified of being out of step with it's readership, hence the switch to Labour in '97 when it saw the writing on the wall for the Tories and then back to blue in 2010 when the pendulum swung again.
>> The Daily Mail has a circulation of less than 1.5 million copies per day. People
>> vastly over-rate the influence of the press on the voters opinions,

That kind of glosses over their online readership, but in any case its more complicated than that.

I use "Daily Mail Readers" as a shorthand descriptor of a section of the UK, rather then those who literally read the DM.

A newspaper printing something causes many people to accept its truthfulness. I have two relatives, admittedly older, who believe that once they've read it in the paper (Her: Mirror, Him: Sun) it is therefore confirmed and true.

It legitimizes and makes social acceptable a view by supporting it which might otherwise fail to gain traction.

One part of the media, or one publication, will influence the other publications and thus a great part of the entire readership and their conversation partners.

And, of course, one only has to influence the floaters, not the set.

>> "It Was The Sun Wot Won It", was never more than cobblers. The Sun is
>> terrified of being out of step with it's readership, hence the switch to Labour in
>> '97 when it saw the writing on the wall for the Tories and then back
>> to blue in 2010 when the pendulum swung again.

Essentially true. However, their skill lies not in simply interpreting what the readership want to see, but to understand what the viewership *will* want to see, next week/month/year and to be able to spot the tipping point.

local elections - madf

>> But she is not getting any credibility because even they realise that she is not
>> convinced by her own words, so they will never be.
>>

Whatever the rights and wrongs of Mrs May, you appear to live on a different planet to me. She has HUGE unprecedented voter approval as PM.. All polling agrees.

So what you say is your own personal opinion NOT backed up by any polling ..just 100% contrary to it...

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 6 May 17 at 21:27

>> You appear to live on a different planet to me.

One can but hope.

>>. All polling agrees

Oh, *polling*, i didn't realise yoy were using pollimg. How could I possibly disagree with something with the credibility and track record of polling.

And of course its my personal opinion, you plonker, that's why I wrote it. You haven't really got a handle on this forum idea, have you?

local elections - Zero
>> and a lot to lose; but Corbyn and even Farron are making her look like
>> a shop window dummy.

Clearly the voters completely disagree with you. And lets face it, a shop window dummy has more believability than corbyn.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 5 May 17 at 19:41
>> Clearly the voters completely disagree with you. And lets face it, a shop window dummy
>> has more believability than corbyn.

Maybe you're right, and I was surprised by the council results which usually punish the incumbent government.

I haven't seen the numbers, but I keep hearing that "her" polling is well down. Not noticeable in yesterday's results.

The voters rarely agree with me. I'd better not go into politics.
 local elections - Cliff Pope
> And lets face it, a shop window dummy
>> has more believability than corbyn.
>>

Manikins are elegant, idealised representations of the human form, used for the more effective display of elegant clothes and shoes.
In fact a rather apposite analogy for Theresa May's persuasive power.

A scarecrow would be the better analogy for Corbyn.
 local elections - BrianByPass
>> I might have said this before, but May is not coming across....
... but Corbyn and even Farron are making her look like
>> a shop window dummy.
>>

You've got her all wrong. The Tory election strategy is to keep May away from the general public and allow Corbyn, Farron, Nuttal, Sturgeon et al free reign of public debate so that they hang themselves. it seems to have worked for the local elections.

As I've said before, I have a reliable source not far removed from her team. T. May bears grudges, and remembers them long after an elephant has forgotten them. Juncker and the EU negotiators will soon discover she really is a vindictive 'b***** difficult woman'.

In case anyone has forgotten, she has a track record:
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/21/theresa-may-police-federation-power

George osborne discovered this, and so did Nicky Morgan. "Nicky Morgan 'banned from Downing Street meeting' after criticising Theresa May's leather trousers".

She can out do Trump when it comes to megaphone diplomacy and bullying.

reminder - these are my personal opinions and will in all probability be wildly different to your own strongly held beliefs even though your beliefs are 100% false.
>> Perhaps she is just following advice with the invitation only meetings and the planted patsy
>> questions, on the basis that in facing the public properly she has little to win
>> and a lot to lose; but Corbyn and even Farron are making her look like
>> a shop window dummy.
>>

Is the Daily Mirror selling rose tinted glasses?

That's all so far from reality, just like the Mirror actually ...
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 6 May 17 at 21:26
 local elections - Dog
NOC NO CHANGE

Con 46 (+10
Limp Dems 37 (+2)
Indi's 30 (-7)
Far Left 5 (-3)
 local elections - R.P.
No change here. Indies still in charge - Plaid gained some ground. They were within a hairbreadth of knocking Labour out in the 2105 GE. They are fielding a veteran candidate for Jun 8. Poor old Albert Owen might have problems given the national trends.
 local elections - R.P.
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/diane-abbott-local-elections-labour-interview-losses-understates-a7720356.html

Despite the fake news by the being perpetrated by the mass media about Labour. Diane Abbott thinks everything is fine.
 local elections - zippy
Diane Abbott is so bad with numbers she would make an excellent Labour Chancellor of the Exchequer. :-@)
 local elections - Bromptonaut
>> Diane Abbott is so bad with numbers she would make an excellent Labour Chancellor of
>> the Exchequer. :-@)

Wherever her skills lie they're not engaged in a role that requires her to grasp a numerical brief.
 local elections - legacylad
True to form I'd forgotten all about the local elections. I think that the % turnout is normally far lower than in a general election, but don't know how that affects the general consensus of people's thinking on how well the Govt is doing.
Much better to open another bottle of €4 decent red stuff and gorge myself with Azul Cantorel bleu queso whilst the doc isn't looking
>>Wherever her skills lie they're not engaged in a role that requires her to grasp a numerical brief.

True, but perhaps they do require the ability to say "Sorry, I don't know that, I don't understand that, and rather than just spouting utter garbage, I'll refer to someone who does know". And perhaps even the ability to say "Ooops, I got that wrong" rather than lie through her teeth and insist that she'd got the matter correct in 6 other interviews that day.

Still, if your only requirement should be that she's some kind of left wing, then I guess she's perfect.
 local elections - legacylad
That reply is exactly what I taught my staff ( retail environment) to say to customers when they were asked questions to which they didn't know the answer.
Far better to say " I don't know, but will find out" then get another member of staff who does know. Or get back to the customer later, at a time convenient to them, with the correct answer.
I don't like sales people, a category which might be applicable to politicians, who waffle and don't know the answer. I've been a bit of a thicko all my life but at least I know the limits of my knowledge and know people who do know, or at least have the ability to find out myself before imparting duff info.
 local elections - Zero
>> >>Wherever her skills lie they're not engaged in a role that requires her to grasp
>> a numerical brief.
>>
>> True, but perhaps they do require the ability to say "Sorry, I don't know that,
>> I don't understand that, and rather than just spouting utter garbage,

I think you mean, "The major skill a politician needs is not to look and sound like a complete knob in the media"

Yes she failed that task miserably.
 local elections - BrianByPass

>> rather than lie through her teeth and insist that she'd got the matter correct in
>> 6 other interviews that day.
>>

Her interview today:

'At the time of us doing this interview, I think the net losses are about 50,' she said.

The miffed ITV journalist replied: 'They are actually 125 net losses so far.'

But Ms Abbott said: 'Well the last time I looked we had net losses of 100 but obviously this is a moving picture.'

Conservative Central Office to Agent Abbot -

"Tone it down a bit, you're in danger of blowing your cover"
 local elections - zippy
Andy Hamilton on Have I Got News tonight...

"Diane Abbot doesn't understand modern politics. If you have got figures that are complete blx and you don't know what you are talking about, you don't trot them out on a radio show, you slap them on a side of a bus and you drive them about for week after week."

The guy is a genius.
>> Conservative Central Office to Agent Abbot -
>>
>> "Tone it down a bit, you're in danger of blowing your cover"
>>

Hehe
 local elections - PeterS
>> Wherever her skills lie they're not engaged in a role that requires her to grasp
>> a numerical brief.

If Labour win, Diane Abbott will be responsible for implementing the 4 new bank holidays they've committed to. They'll be February 31st, April 40th, June 36th, August 57th and November 72nd

;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 6 May 17 at 21:26
 local elections - Zero
But not necessarily in that order
 local elections - Falkirk Bairn
The Laws of Physics need to be re-written!

In order for Labour to move forward from their recent defeats they need to lose Momentum..... & Corbyn, McDonnel, Abbot......!
 local elections - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Wherever her skills lie they're not engaged in a role that requires her to grasp
>> a numerical brief.
>>

Master of understatement - a brilliant put-down for a school report. :)
 local elections - Dog
If there's one thing this country needs right now, it's ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9SqH7ynY1g
Latest Forum Posts