Non-motoring > Who needs salt??? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 47

Who needs salt??? - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08n2ltq
28 min R4 programme.

Half a gram a day will do.

In our household we keep salt for use on icy paths oh and for visitors who are addicted to it.

Who needs salt??? - Manatee
I heard that too. John Major didn't come out of it very well!
 Who needs salt??? - Robin O'Reliant
I never add salt to anything, chips included.
 Who needs salt??? - No FM2R
I love salt. Which is just as well, the amount of salt Chilenos uses is insane. They honestly add salt to their meal *before* they taste it.
>> They honestly add salt to their meal *before* they taste it.
>>
I have sevearal friends who do that. I think it insults the chef /cook.
>> I never add salt to anything, chips included.
>>
Plus at least a couple of versions of crisps are available other than Smiths
 Who needs salt??? - Ted

SWM's the salt fan here...she needs to cyt down but won't.

I did condider fixing salt licks to the door frames in the house !
 Who needs salt??? - The Melting Snowman
Can't remember the last time I added salt to anything. There is plenty enough salt added during the processing stage, even a humble piece of bread usually has about 0.4g and that's before you add anything on to it.
 Who needs salt??? - Old Navy
>> Can't remember the last time I added salt to anything. There is plenty enough salt
>> added during the processing stage, even a humble piece of bread usually has about 0.4g
>> and that's before you add anything on to it.
>>

Easy answer to that, don't eat processed food.
 Who needs salt??? - Runfer D'Hills
I heard that broadcast too. Quite interesting of course but it really depends on my mood and what I'm cooking. I don't over think it to be honest. Life is a balancing act. We eat well every other day, and give no thought at all to how healthy or otherwise the food is on those days, if it's what we want. On the alternate days we eat very little and simply. Alcohol is by choice rather than deliberate abstinence, an occasional treat rather than a habit or routine. And, if I'm cooking a decent piece of meat and it needs seasoning, it gets it.

We both excercise regularly and try to keep ourselves at reasonable levels of fitness, but we don't obsess about that either, exercise should be fun not a chore. I really look forward to my evening swims, my lunchtime dog walks and my weekend biking, but I'd resent having to follow, or persuading myself that I had to follow a pre-ordained excercise regime.

Of course it makes sense not to serially do things that might adversely affect your health but I once heard it postulated and have to sort of agree, that if you give white mice enough of anything it kills them eventually !

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 27 Apr 17 at 21:56
 Who needs salt??? - Dog
>>Easy answer to that, don't eat processed food.

I'm wiv ^this Gisa.
All very well, but what about the pasties? When you've been up since silly o'clock on a cold day and you're already more than a couple of hundred miles from home and lunch is still a distant dream away, the only cure is a pasty.

;-)
 Who needs salt??? - Dog
I rarely eat pasties, even though I know where the proper-decent ones hang out. I did go through a phase of having one per week but, they don't fit in with my healthy eating regime. One now and again wont do any harm of course.
Everything in moderation, including moderation :)
 Who needs salt??? - Zero
>> All very well, but what about the pasties? When you've been up since silly o'clock
>> on a cold day and you're already more than a couple of hundred miles from
>> home and lunch is still a distant dream away, the only cure is a pasty.
>>
>> ;-)

Bacon Roll, salty bacon.
True enough, if it's not a pasty day then indeed it is a bacon roll opportunity. Another little known fact, is that provided you are more than two hours away from home, no snack has any measurable calories. The main exception being Greggs sausage rolls which can be eaten anytime. Because they cost less than a quid, they can't possibly be bad for you. It's really very simple once you know the rules.

;-)
 Who needs salt??? - Pat
>>Greggs sausage rolls <<

Now they are the saltiest sausage rolls I've tasted!

Bacon, egg and mushroom rolls are what real men eat.

Pat
Would switching out the mushrooms for a grilled tomato be acceptable? Provided there's still plenty of brown sauce naturally?
 Who needs salt??? - Zero
>> Would switching out the mushrooms for a grilled tomato be acceptable? Provided there's still plenty
>> of brown sauce naturally?

NO. Has to be Egg, Sausage and Bacon. With tomato sauce. None of this over fried egg nonsense either, the yolk has to be runny. Real men can eat that without getting egg down their shirts. With one hand.
While driving, and making a phone call.
Then of course there's hot dogs. They don't count as bad for you either. Onions and tomato sauce natch.
My first boss was a Glaswegian, (I feel honour bound to point that out so you don't judge him too harshly) who used to eat Scotch pies smothered in brown sauce actually IN a buttered bread roll.

Think he's dead now mind.
 Who needs salt??? - Zero
>> While driving, and making a phone call.

only in a self steering volvo, you tend to hit kerbs if you try that in a merc, just thought I'd warn you
 Who needs salt??? - Duncan
>> Would switching out the mushrooms for a grilled tomato be acceptable? Provided there's still plenty>> of brown sauce naturally?

Nope.

You are quite obviously a woos (Wuss?), (Woose?).

How do you spell that word?

Being a Suvverner of course, nobody has ever used that word to me.
It's "Wuss" I think. I'm still getting used to the north of England. The first time I met my now father in law at a barbecue, he served me uncooked black pudding. I thought it might be some kind of test, but evidently it's seen as normal here. Many strange things are. I still advise anyone driving between Edinburgh and London not to stop unless it's absolutely necessary.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 28 Apr 17 at 14:11
 Who needs salt??? - Clk Sec
>> the only cure is a pasty.

I've mentioned my love of vegetable pasties hereabouts on more than one occasion, and coincidentally Mrs CS made me another 4 giant sized ones this very morning.

Whenever we head south on our holidays, its a good quality pasty for me each lunchtime. A 10 day holiday equals 10 pasties.

And they say variety is the spice of life.
A "vegetable" pasty?

Sheesh, that sounds just so wrong !

;-)
>> A "vegetable" pasty?
>>
>> Sheesh, that sounds just so wrong !
>>
>> ;-)

Similar views here regarding meat pasties!
 Who needs salt??? - Zero
>> >> A "vegetable" pasty?
>> >>
>> >> Sheesh, that sounds just so wrong !

Fake pastie.
>> Fake pastie.

I must try one on my next visit down under...
Now y'see, a vegetable Spring Roll is acceptable. Especially deep fried and with chips. You can get your whole 5 a day in one go with a Spring Roll supper from the chippy. If you have a can of Fanta or Lilt with it that is.

;-)
>> Now y'see, a vegetable Spring Roll is acceptable.

Yes, I guess one of those might go down quite well with a good dollop of curry sauce.
That's just brought back a memory I'm not sure I wanted. Edinburgh Student Union cafe circa 1976. A circle of fairly dried up boiled rice, a spoonful of congealed mince in the middle and a smaller spoonful of lukewarm yellow curry sauce in the middle of that. 50p I think it was. Looked like an abcess. Still, beggars and choosers eh?

;-)
 Who needs salt??? - Mapmaker
Just back from a week in Bavaria. My goodness, the salt they add. I had something called a Bretzel which had white lumps on it. I thought, that looks like salt but it *can't* be as it would kill you - from salt poisoning, not high blood pressure. Oh yes it was salt. The almost unbearably salty soup tasted quite bland after a mouthful of that Bretzel.
 Who needs salt??? - Dog
I don't think salt causes HBP, but cutting intake of said sodium can help to lower it by reducing fluid levels in the bod.

WAIL ALERT www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2752096/Salt-DOESN-T-cause-high-blood-pressure-new-study-claims.html
 Who needs salt??? - Crankcase
Now that Dog has made it clear we need not worry about salt, we can also stop worrying about saturated fat. Thank heavens.

www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/sarah-knapton/10703970/No-link-found-between-saturated-fat-and-heart-disease.html

Who needs salt??? - Ted

Two rounds of fried white bread. ( Not crusts, me teeth won't cope ). A large dollop of mushy tomatos and two rashers of bacon. Tesco's cafe do this recipe admirably but only when SWM's not with me. Anyway, frying the bread burns off all the calories and there can't be many in the toms or bacon, surely ?
 Who needs salt??? - Dog
Six days per week I have two flied eggz on holy ghost oozing with butter, organic of course, like the eggs.

I sprinkle loads of salt on the eggs, but it isn't 'table salt' like you lot use.
It's pink Himalayan salt don't cha know. I also use copious amounts of cayenne pepper, which, as any good Dog mouse knows, helps to keep my arteries clear.

www.livestrong.com/article/476202-cayenne-pepper-and-high-blood-pressure/
 Who needs salt??? - CGNorwich
"I sprinkle loads of salt on the eggs, but it isn't 'table salt' like you lot use.
It's pink Himalayan salt don't cha know."

It Sodium Chloride with few impurities
 Who needs salt??? - Dog
The pink colour goes with the red cayenne pepper, and my lipstick.

;-)
Really, Dog?

"Despite finding no direct link, the authors of the study did note those patients who were hypertensive (had a high blood pressure) consumed much higher levels of salt than those without the condition."

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2752096/Salt-DOESN-T-cause-high-blood-pressure-new-study-claims.html#ixzz4fYB0sOga
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
 Who needs salt??? - Dog
Is there a doctor in the house??

It's possibly all the cups of tea I drink each day which, having a diuretic effect, neutralizes any influence salt would have in regard to water retention, although I don't really use a lot of salt on/in food during the course of a day.

The reasons for HBP are manifold; including kidney disease, and I can well 'take on board' the fact that a lifetime of moderate to high salt consumption could well have a negative effect on ones kidneys, leading, in some cases to hypertension.

www.bloodpressureuk.org/microsites/salt/Home/Whysaltisbad/Saltseffects
I've never liked salt, so there's none added during or after the cooking process. On the other hand my wife is rather too fond of coarse sea salt and seems to get through quite a lot of it.
 Who needs salt??? - Dog
I make all our own bread (with a little help from my friends Panasonic), have done for 14 years now.
Occasionally I have a, um, senior moment and forget to add the *TWO* tsp of salt. God does it taste awful!!
 Who needs salt??? - sooty123
Only two things i add it to steak and pasta, because it tastes better with some sea salt. I used to put it on pretty much everything, although that's not the case any more. Oh and mash got to have it on that.
 Who needs salt??? - NortonES2
We were forced, as kids, to take daily salt tablets in Malaya. Not advisable just after cherryade…...
 Who needs salt??? - Stuartli
I love fish and chips, use full cream milk, Lurpak, eat lots of cheese and lots of other things that are supposed to not be too good for you.

So far I've managed to get to almost 77 and am still enjoying my alcohol and other frowned upon delights; my retort to those who query it is that you're only here once and you might as well make the most of it....:-)

A lot of it, I believe, has to do with metabolism. I've always been tall and slim apart from a few inches added around the waist over many years!
You'd live longer, but it would certainly feel like it! May your good health continue for a long time.
 I need salt - Dog
www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4546722/Salt-won-t-heart-attack-says-scientist.html
Latest Forum Posts