Non-motoring > House vandalism. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 35

House vandalism. - Old Navy
Friends recently had their garden hose put through their letterbox and the external tap turned on. This happened after they went to bed and the hose was still running the following morning. The police put it down to random vandalism. Thousands of pounds worth of damage, fortunately covered by insurance but a huge hassle. This was in a "good" area! They are a quiet retired couple who wouldn't annoy let alone hurt a fly. The thing that frightened them was it could have been a fire. My outside tap has a stopcock inside the house, I now use it!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 23 Feb 17 at 15:22
 House vandalism. - Ted

Mine's a brass swilling tap outside my gates on the side of the house. I've just been out and removed the top, which is loose anyway, I'll keep it somewhere else in future. Good tip...thanks.

Although the squirty end of the hose is 30 yards away down by the garage and on the other side of the 6ft gates.
 House vandalism. - CGNorwich
I seem to remember that scenario in a TV comedy. One Foot in the Grave I think. Life follows Art
Yep - series 3 episode 3 - go to 28 minute 45 seconds

www.dailymotion.com/video/x1l51qj_one-foot-in-the-grave-series-3-ep-3-the-broken-reflection-bbc_fun
 House vandalism. - Dutchie
My tap is outside the hose is a long way down the side of our house.Wouldn't stop anybody up to no good.We live in a cul de sac neighbour across from us has CCTV and we all keep a eye out.
 House vandalism. - Zero
>> Friends recently had their garden hose put through their letterbox and the external tap turned
>> on. The
>> thing that frightened them was it could have been a fire.

Its very very difficult to start a fire with a garden hose and water.
Have you been drinking again?
 House vandalism. - No FM2R
I think to be grammatically correct that ought to be;

"Are you *still* drinking?".
 House vandalism. - Zero
>> I think to be grammatically correct that ought to be;
>>
>> "Are you *still* drinking?".

Well what do you expect when you throw in "it could have been a fire" when the whole article is about water and a hose pipe. It could have been a plane crashing on the roof, it could have been an earthquake, even hurricane ruddy doris.
 House vandalism. - Bobby
We are suffering some "vandalism" on a much lesser scale just now - but still infuriating.

On 4 different occasions now, our cars have had eggs thrown at them during the night, the most recent incident we also got honey and tomato ketchup. Not just us, happening randomly in the area.

Phoned 101, Police came round and told us they know who it is - a group of out of control kids. And the Police can't do anything about it. They put the reports in but the kids have their social workers and no action is ever taken.

The nights when nothing happens, are the nights that the social workers are taking them out to cinema or bowling to reward them for good behaviour!!!

Couldn't make it up, but so infuriating!
You need a dark night, a baseball bat, and no witneses. :-)
 House vandalism. - Bobby
ON, the Police basically said the same thing!
 House vandalism. - legacylad
An acquitance of mine was suffering the effects of mindless vandalism several years ago. Car mirrors kicked off, graffiti. Everyone knew who the group were, but the police were unable to take any action through lack of evidence. And even if they did, the penalties gave them 'Street kudos'.
My acquintance was in a boxing club, and he had contacts thrice removed who visited from a South Yorkshire town and showed two of the miscreants the error of their ways. It cost around £350 in expenses, but all those affected chipped in and the trouble stopped.
In the 1960s the local yobs in Helensburgh (Faslane) thought it would be good entertainment to beat up the young sailors. Shortly after one was stabbed a large contingent of Navy personnel went into town to discuss the situation with them. For some reason the local police had important tasks as far away as they could get. The locals got the message and there was no longer a problem.
 House vandalism. - MD
And 'they' say don't smack kids. Everything starts at the beginning. Puppy Bites. Puppy gets told off. Puppy bites. Puppy gets told off. Puppy bites. Puppy gets a smack. I hate the phrase, but it ain't rocket science.
Children aren't dogs but hitting either of them is neither effective or necessary in their training unless you simply wish to install fear.
 House vandalism. - MD
>> Children aren't dogs but hitting either of them is neither effective or necessary in their
>> training unless you simply wish to install fear.
>>
Wind yer neck in CG. Who mentioned "hitting"?
 House vandalism. - rtj70
Do you live near Craiglang? :-)
 House vandalism. - Bobby
Just been egged again.

Phoned 101 as requested by last week's copper - explained to the call handler that I just wanted it logged without any copper having to come out as police couldn't do anything as it was kids.
Ah says the call handler, I live not far from you and know exactly the kids they will be referring to!!

House vandalism. - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Its very very difficult to start a fire with a garden hose and water.
>>

www.instructables.com/id/5-Ways-to-Start-a-Fire-Using-Water/
 House vandalism. - R.P.
Oddly - being a student of local crime trends in north Wales through work, I find that there is a trend in the east of the area for windows being smashed by "unknown" people.
 House vandalism. - movilogo
Social workers are nuisance to society.
 House vandalism. - Dutchie
What else would you have in their place movilogo?

The majority are trying to do a task which is not something I would like to do.
 House vandalism. - movilogo
>> What else would you have in their place
Cane and sticks.
Homebase have increased the range of their stock dramatically since the takeover. The "Jumbuck" range of BBQs made me smile.

I saw one of these today. A substantial bit of kit, metal internals.

www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/taplock-outdoor-tap-locking-device-462241
 House vandalism. - rtj70
>> Homebase have increased the range of their stock dramatically since the takeover. The
>> "Jumbuck" range of BBQs made me smile.

The Australians like a BBQ
 House vandalism. - Bromptonaut
>> The "Jumbuck" range of BBQs made me smile.

Nipped into local Homebase today on futile search for decent secateurs and had same reaction to BBQ range - love Seekers' version of Waltzing Matilda!!C
We lived in Australia when the original Seekers were at the peak of their popularity. Judith Durham had some voice!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 7 Mar 17 at 20:49
 House vandalism. - MD
Beautiful, beautiful Lady. If only.

youtu.be/v22SPtCFck8
 House vandalism. - Ted

My favourite version.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VktJNNKm3B0

I do like The Seekers though. Morningtown Ride is another good one.

House vandalism. - commerdriver
>> We lived in Australia when the original Seekers were at the peak of their popularity.
>> Judith Durham had some voice!
>>
Still had it 50 years later, we saw them twice on their 50th anniversary tour in the UKa couple of years ago
>> We lived in Australia when the original Seekers were at the peak of their popularity.
>> Judith Durham had some voice!

I'd rate her along with Karen Matheson (Capercaillie) and Karen Carpenter as best female vocalists of my lifetime.

Was at last concert of Seekers 2014 UK tour at RAH, probably last time they'll ever play here.

Unforgettable.
 House vandalism. - MD
You lucky lucky man. I've just spent the last half hour listening to their stuff. the tracks of my childhood.
And as a bonus

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRg9NkIdjVs
 House vandalism. - MD
Only Audio showing here Sire, but good anyway. Retiring to my boudoir now. Tired and emotional. A combination of Judith and some Vin Rouge. :-)
Latest Forum Posts