Non-motoring > Star gazers in for a spectacular show Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 19

Star gazers in for a spectacular show - Dog
Right! ... Stand by your beds,
In the early hours of Friday (The 13th) there is going to be a perseid meteor shower,
I first saw the perseids when we very first came to Cornwall on our hols c82,
We stayed in a caravan down The Lizard, all the gals had gorn to sleep but my bro and I stayed up til the early hours laying on the grass and drinking scrumpy,
My bro didn't stay the course but I managed to see stars all right :)
Well worth setting the alarm for IMHO.

www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7937483/Perseid-meteor-shower-2010-Nasa-says-stargazers-to-enjoy-dazzling-space-show.html
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - tyro
Normal weather has resumed with us after our sunny day on Tuesday. No breaks in cloud yesterday, and none expected this week. So I'll be staying in bed, dreaming of moving to sunnier climes.
>>So I'll be staying in bed, dreaming of moving to sunnier climes.<<

As I say to my wife on far too numerous occasions "when do we run Pappy" a line from the film Papillon :)
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - L'escargot
The forecast for our area is partly cloudy, so I'm not too hopeful of seeing anything.
Shame about the weather although nothing compared to some countries :(
I remember the solar eclipse in Cornwall exactly 11 years ago ... 99.9% cloud cover.
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - Zero
You should have watched it last night.
The annual Perseid meteor shower, which occurs each August, would be one of the most spectacular in recent years.

Conditions for watching the meteors were likely to be near perfect, with dark moonless nights and clear skies over much of the country.

Every August, the Earth ploughs through a swarm of dusty particles shed by passing comet Swift-Tuttle.

As the particles, each no bigger than a grain of sand, hit the atmosphere at 135,000mph they burn up, producing trails of light that shoot across the sky.

This year, the Perseid shower will peak at around 11pm, when observers in the countryside may be able to see meteors streaking overhead at a rate of one almost every half a second.

Even in light-polluted cities, where only the brightest meteors would be visible, as many as 10 an hour may be seen.

The meteor shower was expected to continue through the night, with activity still strong in the early hours of Friday.

Robin Scagell, vice president of the Society for Popular Astronomy, said: "The best time to see the Perseid display is after about 10.30pm on Thursday evening. You can look anywhere in the sky. Though the meteors come from the direction of the stars of Perseus in the eastern part of the sky, they can appear anywhere."

Weather forecasters MeteoGroup said clear skies were expected over much of southern and western Britain.
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - Ted

Won't see too much here, I think. The sky's clear but we have electric street lights up here.
I know you don't yet in the West Country, Doggo.

Ted
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - Zero
Just spent 15 mins in the deckchair outside. The sky is as clear as it can be with no moon.

Despite the streelights, I saw two meteor trails.
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - henry k
Just been watching ( just a few miles from chez Zero) and have seen several red and white ones. One white one was especially bright.
There were a lot of aircraft transiting overhead at this late hour.
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - Hard Cheese

Had a look here last night and saw a few fleeting glimpses, the clouds came over though.

Cursed Perseid's, 99.9% cloud cover down this end, just like the solar eclipse in 99,
The Cursed Perseid's can be seen world-wide apparently, bleeding obvious I suppose, but not to moi.
Loads of 'stuff' on twitter about em, I hear.

:)
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - Mike Hannon
My family, including grandsons, watched from Somerset in the early hours and reckoned they counted 35. I'm waiting for pix as it was overcast here.
This is/was Wiltshire so Somerset should have been good ~

www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7942327/Perseids-meteor-shower-lights-up-night-sky.html
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - Dave_
A brief break in the clouds over Leicestershire around 03:50-04:00. I think I saw a couple of streaks of light but only peripherally as I wasn't looking straight at them. Then it clouded over and I gave up :(
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - -
We popped out a few miles to an old wartime aerodrome about 11 last night, we both saw 1 trail faintly, SWMBO caught a second one which i missed.
Enjoyable though, thanks for the thread D me old mate.
Don't larf, there were supposed to be 2 meteors per second :)
Really great pic in The Sun ~

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3094771/Shooting-stars-light-night-sky.html
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - bathtub tom
I stepped outside around 11pm. Saw a couple of brief white tracks heading NE to SW. Wasn't impressed and went to bed.

I would've thought they'd be E to W with the rotation of the planet?
>>I would've thought they'd be E to W with the rotation of the planet?<<

Affirmative.
 Star gazers in for a spectacular show - Hard Cheese

>>E to W>>

Not really, they appear to radiate out of the Perseus constellation.

Latest Forum Posts