Non-motoring > Bad news for Hinkley Point Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 12

Bad news for Hinkley Point - Ambo
www.euronews.com/2017/02/09/an-explosion-erupts-at-edf-s-flamanville-nuclear-plant-in-northern-france-local

EDF is of course a partner in the proposed new Hinkley Point plant project. Its activities have long been under critical scrutiny by France's nuclear watchdog.
 Bad news for Hinkley Point - sherlock47
Why is this bad news?

Surely even the French learn from their mistakes?

Unless it delays things of course :)
 Bad news for Hinkley Point - Old Navy
>> Why is this bad news?
>>

Exactly, non nuclear zone is the important bit. I have known of several fires in nuclear submarines, far more dangerous than, and nowhere near the nuclear bit.

I suspect these scare articles are written by journalists who have never been within a hundred miles of a nuclear reactor and don't have a clue how they work or the safety systems they have.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 9 Feb 17 at 16:44
 Bad news for Hinkley Point - Mike Hannon
>>Why is this bad news?

Surely even the French learn from their mistakes?<<

No sheet, Sherlock? Whatever gave you that idea?

Good luck with Hinkley Point. I sat through some of the public inquiry and my money still says I won't live long enough to see it operational.
 Bad news for Hinkley Point - sherlock47
>>Why is this bad news?

Surely even the French learn from their mistakes?<<

No sheet, Sherlock? Whatever gave you that idea?

If it is delayed by 20 years I am sure that they will learn from their mistakes.

Remember that the French invented the SCART plug - Citroen used connectors of similar quality for about 20 years - at least the new cars now have better electrical connectors, (for most things :).
 Fake news for Hinkley Point - BrianByPass
Fake news

Wouldn't merit a mention if it happened at any other type of power station.
 Fake news for Hinkley Point - CGNorwich
1 How on earth is this "fake news". It happened and the report is factual. The report clearly states that the was no nuclear risk involved

2 It is a newspaper. It reports on what people are interested in.

3 See report on explosion in a coal fired power station

www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4107330/Officials-6-injured-explosion-power-station-Ohio.html

4 if there was no report of the incident you would be screaming "cover up"
 Fake news for Hinkley Point - Manatee
Fair comment. But a lot of what news is about is the way it is presented. I'm thinking of the book "Unreliable Sources" by John Simpson. Good book.
 Fake news for Hinkley Point - BrianByPass
?? How on earth is this "fake news". It happened and the report is factual.

It happened at Hinkley Point? Wow! I missed that. Thanks for pointing out the bigly facts to me. I must be blind.

Fake news for Hinkley Point - smokie
No Brian, as the article says - it happened in France.
 Fake news for Hinkley Point - Manatee
>>Thanks for pointing out the bigly
>> facts to me. I must be blind.

Point of order. The adjective is big. Bigly is the adverb, as in

"We are going to win bigly. Believe me" (D. Trump, 2016).

Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 10 Feb 17 at 08:52
 Bad news for Hinkley Point - Zero
Its news because its a fire and explosion at a nuclear power station, that will make news in any paper in any country at any time. As far as serious goes, its a small sparkler compared to what happened at Winscale. Can you imagine what todays news sources would make of that event?

Bad news for Hinkley Point - Ambo
EDF may have learned to be more choosy over its suppliers but maybe not have over its procedures. From my French newspaper:

31-8-16. French “nuclear gendarme” ASN reports that EDF’s plant at Dampierre-en Burly “resembles a pigsty”, on account of the rubbish strewn about the site (there’s some round the base of the Flamanville reactor in the link I gave) and found that some basic rules were ignored. Some procedures could lead to a catastrophe.

14-9-16. It finds a “great c*** up” at another EDF site at Saint-Alban over treatment of nuclear waste and the fact that unsecured bag of it previously found in June remained undisturbed. At a site at Paluel a contaminated 500 tonne steam generator, due for inspection, fell due to the use of an under-powered crane and stayed fallen for 6 months, until competitor Westinghouse came to the rescue. The part played by faulty steel (i.e. containing too much carbon) supplied by the foundry Creusot Forge, branch of Areva, is mentioned as is the fact that a quarter of Frances reactors are out of action for this reason.

28-9-16. ASN has ordered 5 EDF reactors to stop working.

25-1-17. EDF has decided not to use Creusot steel at Hinkley Point but use a Japanese supplier instead. However, the Creusot product has already been used in the same (EPR) reactors at Flammanville and in Finland (neither working as yet).

So "our" steel should be OK but there will be a question mark over installation, hence "bad news".

Latest Forum Posts