Non-motoring > Gas hob top Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 81

Gas hob top - Mapmaker
Anybody have a view as to whether there is a benefit from either the 'grid' type top:

www.johnlewis.com/bosch-pcs815b90e-gas-hob-brushed-steel/p729187

or the individual ring type top:

www.johnlewis.com/s***-pxl664-dolce-stil-novo-gas-hob-stainless-steel/p3088751

Thanks.

I've ruled out an induction hob as I swear at the irritating buttons too much. I'm too impatient.
 Gas hob top - CGNorwich
Depends on whether you want practicality or stylish looks. The grid type is much more practical.
 Gas hob top - Pat
Ask the person who cleans it!

Pat
 Gas hob top - CGNorwich
A fair point!
 Gas hob top - rtj70
We've got a Neff grid type one. Similar to this one:

ao.com/product/pbp6b5b80-bosch-serie-2-gas-hob-stainless-steel-36631-41.aspx

There's two halves and it lifts off to clean the 'grid' and underneath. We have no issues with it. We put the grid bit in the dishwasher (being in two equal parts means it's not too big). But it's easy enough to wash in the sink.

It looks nicer (the one I link to) in the video demo than the static image.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 7 Feb 17 at 18:39
 Gas hob top - Bromptonaut
>> We've got a Neff grid type one. Similar to this one:
>>
>> ao.com/product/pbp6b5b80-bosch-serie-2-gas-hob-stainless-steel-36631-41.aspx

We have a Bosch with only trim differences from above. Distress purchase about 2 years ago when previous AEG began to leak gas from a control spindle.

Does an OK job but nothing special. Had a flame failure thermocouple go. Replaced under warranty.

Brushed steel looks nice but while it may be stainless it's not immune from stains!! Spillages tend to leave rings that ordinary kitchen spray cleaner won't shift.

Bathroom cleaner though returns an 'as new' look.

One gripe with pretty much all modern hobs - why is the 'back' (simmer) burner always at the front?
 Gas hob top - Old Navy
>> I've ruled out an induction hob as I swear at the irritating buttons too much.
>> I'm too impatient.
>>

My kitchen equipment operator tells me that her touch control induction hob responds it inputs almost immediately.
 Gas hob top - rtj70
I've never tried induction hobs so have only experience of gas an electric.... gas for me every time for control.

Also had gas and electric ovens... electric fan oven please. But not the one I got the Christmas before last before rejecting it because there were no accurate temperature markings.... But then how accurate is a gas oven?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 7 Feb 17 at 19:15
 Gas hob top - Cliff Pope
My experience of using induction hobs is how irritating it is that they constantly turn on and off. As there is no heat sink it is impossible to simmer properly - the milk alternately boils or cools down.
Also they only transfer heat through the base of the pan. A gas flame wraps around the pan and heats the sides too, so is much quicker to heat up if you turn it up high.
 Gas hob top - henry k
>>it is impossible to simmer properly - the milk alternately boils or cools down.
>>
Old tec worked a treat .
Our 1965 New World Rangette cooker had a thermostatic gas ring. IIRC it was about £5 extra over the standard cooker ( £68 one shilling a and thrupence)
None seems to believe such a feature ever existed.
Set the temperature, pop a pan of milk on it and it would simmer and not boil over.
The cooker survived the natural gas conversion too.
 Gas hob top - Old Navy
>> My experience of using induction hobs is how irritating it is that they constantly turn
>> on and off. As there is no heat sink it is impossible to simmer properly
>> - the milk alternately boils or cools down.
>>

Our induction hob does not cycle on and off, it has ten heat settings per ring and runs at the set temperature. Level two is just right for simmering gravy (so I am told). :-)

The cooling fans for the internal electricery cut in above level five or if it gets too hot and cycle on and off.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 7 Feb 17 at 21:05
 Gas hob top - Roger.
We love our induction hob: it's quick, controllable and a cinch to clean.
 Gas hob top - Old Navy
I agree with the ease of cleaning, ours is just a sheet of black glass, no trim or knobs. Also as it is only a thick as the worktop there is a drawer under it.
 Gas hob top - mikeyb
>> I agree with the ease of cleaning, ours is just a sheet of black glass,
>> no trim or knobs. Also as it is only a thick as the worktop there
>> is a drawer under it.
>>

Just like ours. We had gas before, but I prefer the Induction - looks better and so easy to clean.

Mrs B discovered the other day that if you leave something to boil over the the hob turns itself off - not something I would have discovered
 Gas hob top - Roger.
................and ours has individual timers you can set for each heating area.
Handy when you know, for instance, that spuds of a certain size need boiling for 18 minutes, or that my Weightwatchers Moroccan chicken soup needs 35 minutes simmering. Set, sit and relax: wait for the beeps to sound and Bob's your mother's brother!
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 7 Feb 17 at 23:19
 Gas hob top - rtj70
>> Handy when you know, for instance, that spuds of a certain size need boiling for 18 minutes,
Much quicker in a pressure cooker.

>> Weightwatchers Moroccan chicken soup needs 35 minutes simmering.
Again fresh soup in a pressure cooker is much much quicker. Cheaper and healthier too, Although our soups mainly use veg.
 Gas hob top - Pat
Exactly why I love mine Mikey, but we are forgetting it is Mapmaker asking the question.

Of course....he will have a cleaner come in daily:)

Pat
 Gas hob top - Mapmaker
>>Of course....he will have a cleaner come in daily:)

Far too parsimonious. I agree that an induction hob would be easier to clean. And that is the attraction of the glass gas hob; however I wonder at the practicality of resting pans on the elegant-looking rings, as opposed to the significantly more secure grid.

I remember primus stoves, with their three 'legs' as being remarkably dangerous if the pan was not absolutely central.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 8 Feb 17 at 10:39
 Gas hob top - movilogo
>> We love our induction hob: it's quick, controllable and a cinch to clean.

I have mixed feeling about induction. Whether one finds it good or bad depends entirely on cooking style and types of dishes being cooked.

As we cook lots of Indian dishes, induction is just pain in backside. Non-ferrous pots don't work and you can't really toss items or even use woks! It also cuts out when it senses it is getting too hot (a gas hob never cuts out).

Due to some logistical issues in the kitchen can't really replace induction hob with gas (without spending a fortune) but if I could I would have gotten rid of induction by now.

Gas hob top - Manatee
>> it is impossible to simmer properly

>> Also they only transfer heat through the base of the pan. A gas flame wraps
>> around the pan and heats the sides too, so is much quicker to heat up
>> if you turn it up high.

Maybe you tried the wrong hob, I haven't had those problems. The Induction hob is much faster than my daughter's gas hob which I also cook on regularly. Both are NEFF branded.

Gas hob top - Dulwich Estate II
As a survivor of the 1970s strikes and 3 day week I always like to think about alternative means of keeping warm and cooking in times of strife.

When the electricity fails you lose gas central heating and of course anything electric. The gas hob is a comforting standby. Just keep the matches handy.
 Gas hob top - smokie
One might also assume that solar panels might also be helpful if the mains goes off but unfortunately they don't work without mains...
 Gas hob top - Old Navy
My backup is a substantial camping stove and half a dozen gas canisters in the shed, if It gets really serious there is always the BBQ.
 Gas hob top - Ted

I have a generator...must change the petrol and clean the plug to try and start it. The caravan is our backup. Everything to sustain life in there.

We'd just lock the house up and move in. A torch will enable us to use the toilet in the house rather than fill up the chemical one. It's only 30m from the back door.
 Gas hob top - smokie
Is that miles or minutes? :-)
 Gas hob top - Ted

Oh, miles of course , my dear boy. The family estate is called ' Cheshire ' !
 Gas hob top - Mapmaker
>>The gas hob is a comforting standby. Just keep the matches handy.

Yes. And it's instant. I have an oil-filled electric heater in the kitchen, but that takes 20 minutes to make much difference. I have central heating, but again that takes 20 minutes (and heats the west and east wings as well). The gas hob makes a difference within 30 seconds.

TBH the ability to heat the kitchen in said fashion is my over-riding reason for staying gas.
 Gas hob top - Mike H
>> When the electricity fails you lose gas central heating and of course anything electric. The
>> gas hob is a comforting standby. Just keep the matches handy.
>>
Perhaps it's just here in Austria, but our gas hob has a safety feature that stops it working when the electricity goes off - which means that we can't even boil a kettle when the electric is out.
 Gas hob top - CGNorwich
I can't remember a power cut here lasting over an hour in the past twenty years. I think we may be worrying unduly chaps!

Incidentally using a gas cooker as a heating device is not recommended. The products of combustion do you no good and the kitchen should be well ventilated preferably with an extractor fan when a gas hob is being used. An inductions hob is much healthier.
 Gas hob top - Roger.
>> I can't remember a power cut here lasting over an hour in the past twenty
>> years. I think we may be worrying unduly chaps!
>>
>> Incidentally using a gas cooker as a heating device is not recommended. The products of
>> combustion do you no good and the kitchen should be well ventilated preferably with an
>> extractor fan when a gas hob is being used. An inductions hob is much healthier.
>>
Oooh, 'eck don't say that. There be a "green" tax on it, or there'll be a Government funded (i.e. by you and me) scrappage scheme launched.
 Gas hob top - BrianByPass
>> I can't remember a power cut here lasting over an hour in the past twenty
>> years. I think we may be worrying unduly chaps!
>>

True. Therefore why are your worried about products of combustion? ;-)

>> Incidentally using a gas cooker as a heating device is not recommended. The products of
>> combustion do you no good and the kitchen should be well ventilated preferably with an
>> extractor fan when a gas hob is being used.

Tell us more. What are those products of combustion that do us no good?

>> An inductions hob is much healthier.
>>
... when there is no electricity?
 Gas hob top - Old Navy
>> Tell us more. What are those products of combustion that do us no good?
>>

Carbon monoxide?
>> >> Tell us more. What are those products of combustion that do us no good?
>> >>
>>
>> Carbon monoxide?
>>

You must have a faulty hob burner.
"Incidentally using a gas cooker as a heating device is not recommended."

Heavens ! Millions, yes millions, of people should immediately stop cooking on gas ?

With respect - absolutely bonkers.
 Gas hob top - CGNorwich
Yes carbon monoxide is the biggest danger. If you think about it you wouldn't run a gas fire in a room with no flue. A gas hob produces the same products of combustion. It should be mainly water and carbon dioxide but if the burners are clogged or ventilation is insufficient combustion can be incomplete and carbon monoxide can be produced.

Gas hobs are not subject to the same ventilation requirements as gas fires because it is usually impractical to provide a flue and the assumption that all burners will not be run at maximum for extended periods of time.

If your use a gas hob as a room heater with all burners at maximum in a room with insufficient ventilation CO levels could reach dangerous Levels.

We do have a gas hob but always run the extractor fan when in use. Also have a carbon monoxide detector in the kitchen. The gas boiler is also installed there.

Carbon monoxide alarms are cheap and can be a lifesaver.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 8 Feb 17 at 22:11
Some really do worry too much.

Of course CO can be deadly when a badly operating gas appliance is used for a long period of time in an enclosed space. But those precautions are really OTT IMHO.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate II on Wed 8 Feb 17 at 22:17
 Gas hob top - CGNorwich
What a £20 on a CO alarm, and switching an extractor fan when cooking?
>> gas fire .... gas hob produces the same products of combustion
>>
- which are Carbon Dioxide and Water. Incomplete combustion with a faulty appliance or with inadequate supply of air (oxygen) produces CO.

>> Yes carbon monoxide ... could reach dangerous Levels.
>>

blah, blah, blah, could, maybe, if, etc. etc.

I hope you don't work for the HSE.

p.s. Don't go out to escape the CO, because you could be struck dead by something or other.

Gas hob top - CGNorwich
Why the hostility?

Feel free not to buy a CO detector if you hate the idea so much. No one is making you.

I put mine up on the advice of the gas filter but what do they know?
 Gas hob top - smokie
When I was newly married many years ago we lived in a freezing flat over some shops. no central heating etc. Someone bought us a calor gas fire which was excellent, but I wasn't then aware of the dangers of calor gas. We sat there one evening with the doors and windows shut tight and the fire on, then luckily I said the SWMBO if she felt a bit odd. She did, and we just went out into cold air for a while, really not knowing what was causing it. I think we were quite lucky because I don't think there is often much time between you spotting you are in trouble and being dead. I don't believe that device was faulty.

I wouldn't be without a CO detector, I don't see why one would put oneself at risk. Amongst my friends it's wouldn't be a particularly macho thing to boast about down the pub (or on a forum). And I am no H&S lover.
 Gas hob top - CGNorwich
www.which.co.uk/news/2010/03/carbon-monoxide-deaths-linked-to-cookers-205672/
 Gas hob top - Manatee
CGN is not being over cautious. There is really no way of being sure without a CO detector. It is odourless and invisible.
 Gas hob top - rtj70
When I was at school the miner's strike was on. The school's heating system used coal. So we ended up with Calor gas heaters in all the classrooms. But I remember the windows needing to be left open and it got cold!

I can see how they need oxygen to work and if there's not enough they will not burn properly and therefore produce CO.

Our gas fire in the lounge (open flame) looks great and produces lots of heat. But my wife is disappointed I won't use it. Well when it's lit it uses so much oxygen that it draws in air from outside the room and causes a draught. Block the air getting into a closed room and that would be dangerous.
 Gas hob top - rtj70
Back to gas hobs... it probably wasn't an induction hob but my mum had an electric/glass hob. When cleaning (or might have been decorating)... she knelt on it and broke it.

And it was part of a freestanding cooker.... new cooker needed.
 Gas hob top - Old Navy
We recently had a new kitchen installed, the fitter said the glass hob would be the last thing fitted for that reason.
 Gas hob top - Dog
We had a coal-effect gas fire in the lounge of our previous property. The air bricks (1930's build) had been covered up long ago. When it was REALLY cold, I would close the lounge door, and we'd soon both be nodding off!!

But, it was a fair-sized room, with high ceilings, and the door was hardly air tight.
The danger would come from (A) a faulty appliance, or (B) a blocked flue.
 Gas hob top - Fursty Ferret
Using a gas hob to heat a kitchen is an exercise in futility. Partly because they don't actually chuck out that much heat in comparison to the enormous burner inside a gas boiler, but mainly because the combustion by-products of water and carbon dioxide.

The water will raise the humidity to an unbearable level and not help in any way to keep it warm, particularly as it'll condense onto your windows and release the latent energy outside.

The carbon dioxide will kill you if you don't leave the windows open, defeating the whole point of warming the house in the first place. Oh, and CO2 is heavier than air, so it'll settle - eventually - in the lowest part of your house. Don't go into the cellar...

You'd be better off gathering around a candle and enjoying the psychological benefits. We used to do this when I was little. In fact, if it got really cold, we'd even light it.

Finally, in the event that the country is in the grip of a zombie apocalypse I doubt the mains gas supplies will stay on for more than a couple of days anyway.
@Fursty Ferret -

The air in an aircraft was described by a pilot thus: "Filthy, germ-laden, rotten, disgusting, wretched, skanky, rancid, putrid, fetid, and fart-filled".

You should be advising passengers not to board planes due to the risk of death from dangerous air in cabins. ;-)

Gas hob top - Fursty Ferret
>> @Fursty Ferret -
>>
>> The air in an aircraft was described by a pilot thus: "Filthy, germ-laden, rotten, disgusting,
>> wretched, skanky, rancid, putrid, fetid, and fart-filled".
>>
>> You should be advising passengers not to board planes due to the risk of death
>> from dangerous air in cabins. ;-)
>>
>>
>>

Fart filled, maybe, if I had a good curry the night before but otherwise that's rubbish.
 Gas hob top - smokie
A TV programme on bed bugs was playing at the gym a week or so back. They get around a bit, and like to travel - from hotel rooms on peoples suitcases. I was only watching subtitles but I think aircraft was one of the areas mentioned as being a bit of a harbour for them as a result.

Mind you, anywhere where you mi with the general public there is unpleasant stuff in the air. And on your paper currency etc. Can't afford to worry about everything.

I am curious how GP's aren't forever ill though, getting up close with all those sick people. Do they have special powers?
 Gas hob top - rtj70
>> I am curious how GP's aren't forever ill though, getting up close with all those sick people. Do
>> they have special powers?

I think you'll find doctors to get all sorts in the early part of their careers but then become immune to a lot of things. Lyganos will probably correct me now :-)
 Gas hob top - henry k
>>The carbon dioxide will kill you if you don't leave the windows open,
>> defeating the whole point of warming the house in the first place
>>. Oh, and CO2 is heavier than air, so it'll settle - eventually - in the lowest part of your house. >>Don't go into the cellar...

About 50 years ago we had the 1930s defunked " Wonder Geyser" in our tiny bathroom replaced by the Gas Board with a modern multi point to directly feed the taps.
All correctly installed to the then standards, ( 90 degree bends in the flue) etc.
There was a round vent in the window but no vents in the door.
Foolishly the shutter in the window was closed due to the unheated cold bathroom.
Later it was noticed that the flames in the multipoint were yellow and it was not working very well.
We soon learned, as a minimum, too always keep the vent open.
One of us is lucky to still be here.
 Gas hob top - NortonES2
CO2 will asphyxiate if enough present, as in walking or leaning into into an unventilated beer tank. Need about 10% concentration (100,000ppm) to kill. CO (carbon monoxide) is the deadly compound given off by combustion. According to WIKI, 5-15ppm near properly adjusted gas hob. Badly adjusted: much more. 800ppm: insensible within two hours 1600ppm: dead in less than 2 hours. 800ppm is 0.08%. 1600ppm is 0.16%. More: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning

Last edited by: NortonES2 on Thu 9 Feb 17 at 11:01
 Gas hob top - Dog
>>CO2 is heavier than air, so it'll settle - eventually - in the lowest part of your house

If that's the case, why is it recommended to fit the meter on or 150mm from the ceiling?
 Gas hob top - NortonES2
Dog. No-one except a brewery uses a CO2 meter! Domestic CO meter correctly placed higher up as CO is lighter than air, IIRC. Or use a canary:)
 Gas hob top - Mapmaker
>> >>CO2 is heavier than air, so it'll settle - eventually - in the lowest part
>> of your house
>>
>> If that's the case, why is it recommended to fit the meter on or 150mm
>> from the ceiling?
>>

CO2 is heavier than air. CO is (marginally) lighter than air and is the poisonous one. You won't get a CO2 meter, the room will feel stuffy long before that becomes necessary.
 Gas hob top - Dog
>> No-one except a brewery uses a CO2 meter! Domestic CO meter correctly placed higher up as CO is lighter than air, IIRC. Or use a canary:)

>>CO2 is heavier than air. CO is (marginally) lighter than air and is the poisonous one. You won't get a CO2 meter, the room will feel stuffy long before that becomes necessary.

Course, I meant CO - it was the only constituent of exhaust gas I measured in my early car tuning daze,
until the four-gas analysers became available later on.
>> www.which.co.uk/news/2010/03/carbon-monoxide-deaths-linked-to-cookers-205672/
>>

Due to faulty appliances.

Brands of oven affected were Beko, Leisure, Flavel and some models distributed by Glen Dimplex. All made by Beko's parent company in Turkey.

Bekowas fined £75,000 after admitting it failed to reveal for four years that thousands of its cookers were potentially unsafe and could cause deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.

Beko was aware from 2009 that 23 different models of its cookers produced the deadly gas from its grill if used in very particular circumstances.
 Gas hob top - sooty123
I've noticed gas cookers around here seem quite rare. Not sure why, most houses have gas central heating so it's not that. Possibly an inertia thing as perhaps in the past few were connected to mains gas. We've got an electric oven and top, it's the style of the solid plates. Possibly a bit old fashioned now but it was brand new when we moved in.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 9 Feb 17 at 11:23
 Gas hob top - Mapmaker
Wow!

Bit quiet in here!
 Gas hob top - CGNorwich
>> Wow!
>>
>> Bit quiet in here!

Carbon monoxide poisoning.
 Gas hob top - Old Navy
You lot need a nuclear submarines air purification system, an electroliser to provide oxygen, Co2 scrubbers, CO & H2 burners, and a charcoal filter the size of a garage. If that lot fails, (there are two of each) there are emergency oxygen generators and Co2 absorption machines. Or there is always a ventilation mast you can raise through the surface. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 9 Feb 17 at 12:31
I stand by what I say.

In our second home, with 600mm thick stone walls, it takes several days to warm up from cold when left empty in winter. For the first couple of days after we arrive we tend to live in the kitchen as the gas cooker warms up the room very quickly; so point one - in my experience it is not futile at all, it works very well. Point two - we do have a CO alarm set at the correct height and after even say 4 or more solid hours in the kitchen with no ventilation it has never gone off (it's not faulty).

We occasionally open the door to come and go and use the extractor hood only when necessary to extract cooking steam and smells.

I'm not daft and am aware of the risks of living where death is 100% certain. I'm still alive. I've handled asbestos, removed lead paint and sanded oak wood without a mask. I even eat burnt toast and don't shower every day - the microbes on my body haven't consumed me and I don't smell. I have even spent the first 20+ years of my life in cars with no seat belts. I eat food beyond its sell by date.

I've also got a lead water main feeding the house and have no intention of changing it.

Despite all the above, the greatest risk I have at home is falling down the stairs and I'm not buying a bungalow.
I forgot to say, we also get through a good few logs every day in the burner in the living room. Each time I open the door to put a new one in there's a fair bit of carcinogenic smoke and lung clotting dust.

I like the fire and I'm keeping it.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate II on Fri 10 Feb 17 at 19:23
 Gas hob top - The Melting Snowman
>> I stand by what I say.
>>
>

I share very similar views. Life is risky and dangerous, ultimately it leads to death. One has to apply common sense and I think that's where the problem lies - it's anything but common.
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Fri 10 Feb 17 at 19:38
 Gas hob top - Dog
>>I'm not daft

I am ... I left a galvanised bucket with hot ashes on the hearth, which is the only time I've heard my CO alarm go orf.

Boy was it LOUD, why don't they make these damn things quieter??

There aren't any air bricks in this owse (built in 1792) but I do have trickle vents in all the windows ... all in the closed position, although I do open the door now and again to let the dogs have a piddle.

>>I've also got a lead water main feeding the house and have no intention of changing it.

Tis okay but, best to let the tap run for a minute first thing in the morgen, or you might end up leaving a galvanised bucket with hot ashes on the hearth one day (where's Lud??)

Gas hob top - Ted

No one here gets out alive !

Jim Morrison
 Gas hob top - Mapmaker
>> >>I've also got a lead water main feeding the house and have no intention of
>> changing it.
>>
>> Tis okay but, best to let the tap run for a minute first thing in
>> the morgen, or you might end up leaving a galvanised bucket with hot ashes on
>> the hearth one day (where's Lud??)

No such worry in London. There will be so much limescale on the inside of the pipe that Thames do not change them. Much of the Thames Water-owned mains pipes are lead anyway. Indeed, it is believed that there must still be some remaining hollowed-out elm pipes somewhere.
 Gas hob top - legacylad
After 6 hours sanding today I got bored so popped into Magnet after buying some PVA at the next door Homebase. The old kitchen will be remodelled and redesigned after blocking off a door....I'm tempted to install an induction hob, and throw in a set of new pans. With a black glass splashback it will have the wow factor, especially if I go mad and install 'Black Sparkle Max-Top' work surfaces which look a million dollars. Or go the cheaper route, gas hob, tiled splashback and cheap worktops.
I can't decide between the two....the flat will, in all likelihood, be sold to the 'older' generation. But kitchens sell homes....the extra £2k might be a good investment.
Opinions please
 Gas hob top - Zero
>> After 6 hours sanding today I got bored so popped into Magnet after buying some
>> PVA at the next door Homebase. The old kitchen will be remodelled and redesigned after
>> blocking off a door....I'm tempted to install an induction hob, and throw in a set
>> of new pans. With a black glass splashback it will have the wow factor, especially
>> if I go mad and install 'Black Sparkle Max-Top' work surfaces which look a million
>> dollars. Or go the cheaper route, gas hob, tiled splashback and cheap worktops.
>> I can't decide between the two....the flat will, in all likelihood, be sold to the
>> 'older' generation. But kitchens sell homes....the extra £2k might be a good investment.
>> Opinions please

The extra 2k is money down the pan. You seem to have left your sensible hat in Spain, Its not a bespoke london penthouse pad, Get a grip and stop bleeding your profit.
 Gas hob top - CGNorwich
Go for reasonable quality worktop with gas hob. If purchaser wants a fancy kitchen they will want one to their own taste anyway. They will rip out whatever you have installed.
 Gas hob top - legacylad
Many thanks Zero & CGN.
I was going to sleep on it, and ask the estate agent tomorrow for an opinion. It is not a flash penthouse flat so I'll stick with a simple gas hob and mid range worktop which I can buy cheaper online.
Hopefully they will be dazzled by my decorating!
 Gas hob top - No FM2R
People want to be able to improve a place they buy. They just don't want to *have to*.

So make sure everything is clean, everything works, and everything is safe. You don't want them to feel that they will have to spend money before they can relax there.

However, they will want to make it theirs. And if they can see cheapish changes they can make that will be an attraction.

Let them then spend money according to their taste.
 Gas hob top - legacylad
No FM2R, that depends on the age of the potential purchaser. The lease on this small block of flats stipulates no noise between 11pm & 7am, and no pets. I have spoken to two potential sales agents, and the managing agent informs me that the average age of the current occupants is late 70s.
You and I might always look to add value, but I think in this case the scenario is different. The 'older' person will probably, at least according to the agents, want to move straight in and have no major work to do, apart from adding their own individual touches. Hence my probably misguided initial thought to spend a few Grand over the odds by giving it the wow factor.

I've taken out all the old blinds and curtain rails and a total redecoration in neutral colours will follow. I shall just leave as is...many folks prefer blinds over curtains these days, and I think a room without curtain rails gives the option to customise as they see fit. A smart, modern white bathroom with neutral tiles goes in this Easter. The only extra cost being a decent quality shower unit.
Similarly white gloss kitchen units, black work tops, coloured worktop appliances to add character, and I shall dress the kitchen with fruit, red, white & Rose bottles of vino and a few plants.
All electrics will be A1, with simple pendant lights and shades so options for the new incumbents there.
Thanks for the advice. Appreciated as always.
 Gas hob top - No FM2R
>>The 'older' person will probably, at least according to the agents, want to move straight in and have no major work to do

Absolutely. Hence my comment that everything must be safe, clean and working.

But everybody, of any age, wants to customise their living space.

Sounds like you;re following the right/wise path.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 11 Apr 17 at 23:45
 Gas hob top - Mapmaker
>>I think a room without curtain rails gives the option to customise as they see fit.

I think that somebody in their 70s looking at a room without curtain rails will think they're going to have to spend a bomb on getting somebody in to fit them - and indeed have curtains made. I think rails, and then get yourself down to the market and buy some £20 curtains.
 Gas hob top - Dog
=> get yourself down to the market and buy some £20 curtains.

Or: www.curtainscurtainscurtains.co.uk/
 Gas hob top - tyrednemotional
I'm with Z. Absolute minimum to make it clean, tidy, and functional.

On a practical note, an induction hob could be the slippery slope to major electrical work. Many, when combined with the demand from a modern electric oven, can exceed the installed supply by quite a margin, leading to major, disruptive and expensive circuit upgrades.
 Gas hob top - Old Navy
I agree with the possible electrical upgrade, my cooker, induction hob, and microwave are on the same 50amp circuit and breaker.
 Gas hob top - smokie
Pretty sure my induction hob (and, I think, oven) was able to go on a normal ring main amperage. Less sure whether it's on it's own circuit but I think maybe not.
 Gas hob top - tyrednemotional
>> Pretty sure my induction hob (and, I think, oven) was able to go on a
>> normal ring main amperage. Less sure whether it's on it's own circuit but I think
>> maybe not.
>>

...depends on the selected units, and the (possibly age-related) kitchen power supply.

My previous oven was connected via a 13 amp socket, current one requires 16 amps (and many I checked now exceed that 13 amp rating).

Whilst you can get lower-rated (or inbuilt current-limiting) induction hobs, it isn't uncommon to see them rated at a 20 amp supply.

If you've got an older 30 amp cooker supply, and both units exceed 13 amp demand, then you're snookered, and electrical work is in order.
 Gas hob top - Old Navy
>> I agree with the possible electrical upgrade, my cooker, induction hob, and microwave are on
>> the same 50amp circuit and breaker.
>>

Error alert!!!!

A separate 30amp circuit and breaker.
Latest Forum Posts