Non-motoring > Let there be light............ Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 1

Let there be light............ - Roger.
........in a dark corner of our living room.
We have no wall lights and reckoning it would be a major job to install, I've decided on placing a table lamp on top of our corner cabinet. (About 2 metres high). The sockets, of course, are hidden behind said cabinet, but I have solved that by using a remote controlled unit from Maplin's for a penny under tenner.
The lamp itself is the next thing. We've seen one, in B & Q, with an enclosed opaque globe and a short cylindrical base. Just the right size. We don't want to see light streaming downwards from a traditional shade.
However, it takes a G9 bulb.
Our local B & Q has two types of G9 bulbs: LED and halogen. I would much prefer the LED for its low running cost, but and here is the question - its output seems to be directional, which in a table lamp seems to imply that the light output would be heavily concentrated at the top of the globe.
The halogens seem, from looking at them in the packet only, to have a more general all-round dispersal of light, which may work better in an opaque bowl.
What sort of advice would our knowledgable friends offer?
 Let there be light............ - Ambo
I would prefer a standard lamp. You are right about LED bulbs being directional, the ceiling being the chief beneficiary although the light is partly directed back and overall the illumination is more even. It is however somewhat dead, even in "warm" versions and halogen bulbs seem even worse in that respect. I much prefer the friendly glow of tungsten bulbs. Another snag with LEDS is that they go through brief periodic dimming and recovery, some kind of recycling, maybe and distracting in a reading lamp.

Latest Forum Posts