Non-motoring > Lettuce Anyone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 36

Lettuce Anyone? - Ambo
From this morning’s Telegraph on the lettuce shortage:

“… listings for them have appeared on eBay. One seller, matt.groom609, has listed a box of 12 iceberg lettuce for £2000 while others have listed lettuces for £500. It is not known whether there have been any buyers.”

Lettuce Anyone? - CGNorwich
Of Kos not.

Lettuce all be sensible.
 Lettuce Anyone? - smokie
That's just the tip of the iceberg...

Now, the big Slimming World sought-after thing is Porky Light sausages. I believe the supermarkets stocked them but they have sold out and stories in the papers say they are selling at a premium, though I don't know where.

Anyway, I was shopping on Friday and one store had masses of them, packs of 18 for £4.99 which is a bargain price... I'd never tried them before but SWMBO is always slimming so I bought some. They are by far the most tasty sausages I have had for many years. And very little fat!!

(Same company does Porky Whites which I will try sometime - they are widely available in supermarkets)
 Lettuce Anyone? - Bromptonaut
There's a Webb of intrigue about this shortage.....

Will it Romaine for whole of winter.....

Or will they get Round to solving it sooner
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 5 Feb 17 at 13:26
 Lettuce Anyone? - Ambo
Little Gems of wit, Brompton.
 Lettuce Anyone? - R.P.
Don't think I've bought one in years. Must be one of the most pointless foods.
 Lettuce Anyone? - Dog
The ancient Egyptians thought lettuce to be a symbol of sexual prowess. The Romans likewise claimed that it increased sexual potency. Lettuce has mild narcotic properties; it was called sleepwort by the Anglo Saxons.

Folk medicine has also claimed it as a treatment for pain, rheumatism, tension and nervousness, coughs and insanity.

The religious ties of lettuce continue into the present day among the Yazidi people of northern Iraq, who have a religious prohibition against eating the plant.

Not many people know this, or want to :o en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lettuce
 Lettuce Anyone? - Cliff Pope
>> Must be one of the most pointless foods.
>>

It's designed for putting salad cream on. Dressings just run through the gaps between smaller leaved salad.
Iceberg lettuce is indeed pretty tasteless stuff. There are so many more tasty lettuces and salads out there. Iceberg became a staple of the pub salad ( lettuce, under ripe tomato aand slice of cucumber with no dressing) because of its shelf life. It will keep for a couple of weeks in the salad compartment of the fridge. Haven't bought one for years.
LOL

lorosso
 Lettuce Anyone? - Clk Sec
You really need to turn over a new leaf, GGN...
 Lettuce Anyone? - The Melting Snowman
Asda had plenty of stock yesterday although they were limiting lettuces and brocolli to six per customer. Presumably to deter restaurants buying them up.
 Lettuce Anyone? - Ian (Cape Town)
I buy often.
But guaranteed that after the planned salad, they turn to mush in the bottom of the fridge.
I just binned a half a cucumber.
Tomorrow I'll be asked by SWMBO to buy one again, and some lettuce, no doubt.
Summertime, and the salad is easy.
And in 2 weeks, we go through the process again.

Oh, I spend more on mayo than on salad ingredients. make of that whay you will.
 Lettuce Anyone? - sooty123
All down to terrible weather in spain and certain parts of italy by all accounts. I was surprised to read nearly all iceberg lettuce in the winter comes from one small area of Spain.
 Lettuce Anyone? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> one
>> small area of Spain.
>>
Brexit will be blamed.

I buy fruit and veg, very cheap. Often in w**tr*s* or T*sc* packaging.
Why? Because they have flight problems. You chaps have better saffer food than we have.
But, by God, you pay for it!
The prices are obscene for what you pay on our 'local' stuff sometimes.
And guaranteed it is bought by idiots who don't understand the 747 which flew it there, and its carbon footprint.

Lettuce Anyone? - sooty123
> But, by God, you pay for it!
>> The prices are obscene for what you pay on our 'local' stuff sometimes.

I don't notice that but wages in africa being lower than the uk, I've no doubt food is much cheaper.

>> And guaranteed it is bought by idiots who don't understand the 747 which flew it
>> there, and its carbon footprint.
>

i would imagine most of it is shipped.
Have a heart.
treebeard31.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/lettuce-dog.jpg
 Lettuce Anyone? - PeterS
It's getting bionda joke... I'm sure someone can do batavia than that though :p
 Lettuce Anyone? - PeterS
>> There's a Webb of intrigue about this shortage.....
>>
>> Will it Romaine for whole of winter.....
>>
>> Or will they get Round to solving it sooner
>>

This European iceberg crisis is exactly why I voted Romaine ;)
The lettuce crisis needs a dressing.
 Lettuce Anyone? - Manatee

>> This European iceberg crisis is exactly why I voted Romaine ;)

Really? It's why I voted Leaves.
 Lettuce Anyone? - PeterS
:)
 Lettuce Anyone? - tyrednemotional

>> Really? It's why I voted Leaves.
>>

......That's what's made the prices Rocket.......
 Lettuce Anyone? - Harleyman
My late father was a keen gardener, self-sufficient in veg himself; he also raised bedding plants for sale by the roadside, and for many years chrysanthemums too. In my younger days, runner beans, peas and the like were only enjoyed in season, until he bought a deep freeze in the early 1970's. So at this time of year, we'd eat carrots, swede, parsnip and Brussels sprouts along with the potatoes of course. As, probably did most of you because there was little choice in the matter.

All this guff about a "shortage" is precisely that, guff. The native population of this country do not know what a food shortage is, and it's to be hoped they never will. If most of them didn't waste so much food they wouldn't worry about it.
 Lettuce Anyone? - Dutchie
Panicking about lettuce shortage? What next we starve>:)
I thought the Dutch were big in the salad vegetable trade Dutchie. I bet you have access to black market supplies :-)
 Lettuce Anyone? - Dutchie
I might receive a bit of the good stuff from Amsterdam Norwich. Salad with a kick..;)
 Lettuce Anyone? - devonite
I've come to the conclusion that "Cumbrians" don't eat anything unless it's covered in Pastry! - I used to grow all kinds of nice veg on my allotment, and take big boxes of anything spare into my local whereby it was placed on a side-table for folk to help themselves to. There was rarely anything taken, so now I just grow enough to fill our veg freezer and the Hens get the rest! - Now if I could only grow a Pie-plant .....!
 Lettuce Anyone? - Stuartli
Why would anyone worry too much about a lettuce shortage in the depths of winter? Lettuce pray that there are plenty in the summer though....
A man goes to the Doctor with a piece of lettuce hanging out of his ear. "That looks nasty," says the doctor. "Nasty?" replies the man, "that's just the tip of the iceberg!"

Lettuce Anyone? - Stuartli
Been around for a while now that one...!!

A very nice young lady went to the doctor complaining about a tiny tree, small pond and flowers growing on her face.

The doctor examined her carefully and then said: "Nothing to worry about, it's just a beauty spot."

Yes, that one's been around for some time as well...!
An assistant is stacking fruit on a display in Tesco , when a lady asks "Do you have any lettuce?

The assistant replies "Sorry ma'am, we are out of lettuce, but we will be getting a delivery tomorrow morning" The lady looks around some more. A few mins later she comes back to him asking where the lettuce is. The assistant worried about her mental state simply tells her "Sorry ma'am, we are out of lettuce, but we will be getting some more tomorrow morning"

The lady looks around some more then goes back to the same assistant and asks "Where's the lettuce, I need some lettuce right now!" The assistant , getting frustrated with his inability to explain the situation, tells the lady "Answer a couple of questions and I will get you your lettuce from the back."

The lady agrees and the man starts the questions. "Spell cat for me, as in catastrophe " she says Ok, "C A T". "Very good!" the assistant says, "now spell dog, as in dogmatic. " The lady getting frustrated spells it correct. Now the assistant finally asks "now spell, F**k, as in lettuce. " She replies "There is no F**k in lettuce?" To which the assistant replies "THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU THE WHOLE TIME!"

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 7 Feb 17 at 14:36
 Lettuce Anyone? - Ambo
Great, very Crispheaded.
 Lettuce Anyone? - commerdriver
A few candidates for the incredibly old joke thread here
 Lettuce Anyone? - Roger.
.........as the tom cat said, "lettuce spray"
 Lettuce Anyone? - VxFan
A man goes to the doctors with a carrot up his nose, cucumber in his left ear, and a parsnip in his right ear.

Doctor says "you're not eating properly"
Latest Forum Posts