Non-motoring > Cinema Trip- Compensation? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cpt. Flack Replies: 54

Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Cpt. Flack
Just came back fron cinema with the family.
£25 for "VIP" seats, £10 for drink and sweets. £2.70 for parking. Not a cheap few hours, though the film, "The Sorcerors Apprentice" well worth a look. IMO.

Now the nitty gritty. I had to put up with russling bags at the back of me for three quarters of the film, people talking, people incessantly going in and out to the toilet, the chav behind with her bare feet on the back of the seat two seats down, the numpties checking their phones lighting up their chavvy pug like faces.

Now the cinema put on the film, supplied the seating and the toilet facilities. Do you think I can claim compensation seeing as I paid "so" much. I must say there wasn't any mould in the toilets so that's a plus. Or do you think I'm over reacting?

Well you should expect this on a trip shouldn't you. ;-)
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Manatee
That's why I don't go to the cinema much, though older/serious films tend to have more considerate audiences. Childrens films, new blockbuster releases etc attract the oiks with no manners.

I should think you have more chance of being struck by lightning than getting compo.

The most fun I have at the pictures is at a local village hall that does 'flicks in the sticks' in the winter. You see lots of people you know, and they stop the film halfway through for an interval when everybody can get a drink, have a chat, and they hand round snacks. Then we go to the pub after. Perfick.
Hope some of you can pick up the "real" gist of this.
>>Hope some of you can pick up the "real" gist of this

Too deep for me. Say what you mean.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Iffy
...Hope some of you can pick up the "real" gist of this...

Quite funny - the OP is trying to have a dig at my hotel mould thread but has come up with something interesting by mistake.

People are concerned about about a rustling cheese and onion packet in the stalls, and rubbish service at an expensive hotel.

Look at the views and replies these threads get - more than 100 posts for Will's toaster.

So come on Cpt Flack, lighten up, join in, or go back to reading The Guardian.

Cinema Trip- Compensation? - sherlock47
>>>go back to reading The Grauniad.<<<<

Now, that is an idea - I have just discovered a spelling mistake on page 3, can I get my money back?
Last edited by: pmh on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 08:46
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Pat
I'd get Plod involved if I were you, pmh

Pat
...have just discovered a spelling mistake on page 3, can I get my money back?...

And there's a typo in my last post - I know that causes stress, so I'll pay for you all to have counselling.

Cinema Trip- Compensation? - CGNorwich

I knew a man who sued a restaurant because his dessert did not contain sherry as promised on the menu.

It was thrown out and the judge quoted the legal principle.

"De minimis non curat lex." (The law does not concern itself with trifles)

Sorry!
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Zero
I chose the cinemas that have big wide leather seats, footrests, and serve wine and canapes.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - bathtub tom
That's one of the reasons I don't go any more.

The other is the local woman who had bleach thrown in her face when she had the temerity to ask someone to cease doing whatever it was that was ruining her enjoyment of the film.
Same here Zero, Never go to the chav infested multiplexes. Have a very pleasant independent cinema in Norwich with a nice wine bar and restaurant attached. No popcorn, no burgers, no fizzy drink and no scum.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - legacylad
Commiserations Capt Flack.
Exactly why I never go to a multiplex.
Bradfords Pictureville is only an hours drive from home,(with good curries before or after, sometimes both!) and the Kendal Brewery Arts Centre 45 minutes the other direction along the A65.
Suggest you try to find an independent.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - rtj70
Cpt. Flack I think I'm the only one picking up the jist of this. So yes I think you should get a refund like one would expect to at a hotel with mould.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Stuu
You paid for a seat, you paid for a film. You didnt pay to watch it alone, if you want that, get a home cinema. Sorry but cmon, nothing you describe is unusual for the average cinema.

VIP seats? Our local cinema is about £4 each and you get a great seat for that.
Maybe go elsewhere next time - who on earth pays more for a posh seat, the film will be the same and the seats are never anywhere you cant watch the film from. Must be nice to be wealthy and have to worry about such things. Tut tut.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Fursty Ferret
On a related note I did try to get a refund in Blockbuster after renting "Clash of the Titans", a simply appalling film second only to 2012 in its wallowing crapness. No luck, unfortunately.

Cinema Trip- Compensation? - R.P.
Clash of Titans - don't start me on that - credits had it filmed in "Llanberis, Wales, England" enough to turn a man all nationalist.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - MD
Send the Chavs to Afghanistan, preferably on pushbikes.
NOw this is a good point, how do we stand under the SOGA when it comes to rubbish films?

No-one ever advertises they are rubbish, so are they not as described? Fit for purpose? what warranty period is there on films - can I decide 6 months later it was rubbish? do they get three attempts to fix it - change the ending perhaps?
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - BobbyG
Recently went to a Vue for Toy Story 3 - £29.70 for 2 adults and a kid booked in advance.
Much against my wishes, 3 hot dogs were also bought at something like £14.

An expensive trip out but this made me think, how does the pricing etc work for the cinema?

Assume cinema company have to pay film distributors commission of some sort? But without cinemas, the films wouldn't get a target audience? Suppose its the same as why do radio stations have to pay artists when they play their music?

So do the cinemas make any profit on the tickets or is all their profit on food and drink and thats why they are so ridiculously priced?
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 16 Aug 10 at 21:24
Nearly all the profit comes from food and drink, and most of that is the popcorn.

Certainly in the multiplexes most of the profit comes from food and drink. The independents showing less mainstream films or showing film sometime after their release dates tend to pay less for their prints and so make more from the ticket prices. Even so my local independent makes more money from its cafe bar and restaurant than it does from ticket sales.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - rtj70
>> Recently went to a Vue for Toy Story 3 - £29.70 for 2 adults and a kid booked in advance.

Robbery. Makes me feel better for supporting our local independent cinema which has been very close to closing for a few years. Paid £4.50 each the other week to see Inception. Walked out 50 minutes in because it is a poor film. It was very busy for that cinema.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Pat
Small claims court Cpt Flack, most definitely.
It should only cost around £80 but I'm sure you'll feel better.
Maybe ask for compensation for removal of earwax due to the noisy crisp packets, and physio on the back caused by the irregularly sprung seat.
As for the chav behind you, surely H&S demands they supply footbaths for everyone at the door?

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 04:55
:-) LOL Zero. (SOGA)
Last edited by: Cpt. Flack on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 15:00
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Duncan
>> credits had it filmed in>> "Llanberis, Wales, England" enough to turn a man all nationalist.
>>

Why? You're not Welsh!
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - swiss tony
One important point you haven't stated.
did you pay by credit card?
If so, it may be worth contacting the card company, and see if they can help.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Ian (Cape Town)
I dunno how it is in the Uk these days, but I gave up on the local cinemas a long while back for the simple reason that they play the GODDAM SOUNDTRACK SO DAMN LOUD THAT IT ACTUALLY HURTS!
Now, maybe we are a nation of vuvuzela-deafened morons?
I like loud. At appropriate times... especially if said loudness involves internal combustion or jet engines and/or Jethro Tull.
But to be subjected to even the whispering in a movie coming across at a hundred squillion decibles...
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> the numpties checking their phones lighting up their chavvy pug
>> like faces.

One of our local actors, famously, stopped halfway through Hamlet's soliloquy to tell some cellphone-jabbering idiot in the audience to STFU.
And got a rousing cheer from the rst of the audience.

Cinema Trip- Compensation? - helicopter
Nothing changes.

Horrendous cattle like queueing , overpriced seats and food and inconsiderate loud mouth drunk chavs... about sums up my experience of the cinema as well , include throwing things and spitting off balconies onto people below etc and that was exactly my experience of the Saturday Night Cinema in my local town when I went there in the 60's ...... about the only thing that has changed is that you didn't get the mobile phones ringing then.

Talking of bad behaviour I can't remember which actor it was who recounted a tale of when he was on stage and a lady in the front row answered her phone and he overheard her side of the conversation 'Actually I can't talk - I'm watching a play in the West End'........ ( short pause ) ..'No not very'....

Cinema Trip- Compensation? - R.P.
I volunteer as a Steward at the local theatre/cinema, it's grant supported but can pull in a good audience - I admire them for running the latest Shrek (crap film) all week, local kids can see it without having to travel 30 miles to the nearest multiplex and at a substantial discount as well as not having to sit through 45 minutes of adverts before the film start. In fairness the kids are generally well behaved. Had the chance to sit in with the projectionist for one showing - now that is quite a skill...
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - movilogo
I have not been to cinema halls for a good few years (except 3D shows in iMax)

All films are now available either in DVD or via internet.

Watching at home is more enjoyable.

In next few years, cinema halls will die unless 3D catches on (and people can't get that experience at home).
I think they said that in 1983 when VCR appeared.

Cinema is booming.....
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Tooslow
"cinema is boomimg" not with me it isn't. Local cinema in town closed a few years ago. Multiplex is not too far away, surrounded by "up market" versions of McDonalds so you can't even get a decent meal out. We buy the DVD / BluRay and watch at home. OK so the screen isn't as big but you don't get the sort of behaviour others have described. I once told a kid who was screaming at the top his voice (he'd found a nice, echoey spot in the entrance hall) to shut up. Parents were nowhere to be seen. The look of shock was a picture. But he shut up. Of course I'd probably have been arrested and on a register if I'd been spotted!

Time to build the "B" Ark.

JH
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - bathtub tom
I'd better sanitise my 'phone.
"cinema is boomimg" not with me it isn't.

Try Norwich. within 2 miles walk I have Odeon multiplex with 18 screens, Vue multiplex with 8, Hollywood with 4 screens and one of the best independent cinemas, Cinema City with 3 screens.

It's a long way from the North end of Cheshire to Norwich (should that be "leafy Norwich"?) just to see a film. The general comment isn't about cinemas, it's about the whole experience. Which leaves something lacking.

JH
I wasn't suggesting you drive down to Norwich for the evening Tooslow but just indicating that cinema is in fact thriving in some parts.

I agree that most cinemas provide a poor experience and poor value for money although we have plenty of cinemas in Norwich the only one I go to regularly is the independent which provides a civilised viewing environment. Unfortunately the core audience of cinema in this country consist of 13-25 year olds and and the multiplexes serve this market.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Runfer D'Hills
Norwich hasn't been the same since they closed the "Tudor Hall" nightclub. Got myself into a lot of pleasant bother there a half a lifetime ago. Friendly lasses in Norwich. I suspect though that they just wanted a few fresh genes to cut down on the incidence of webbed feet and so on..........

:-)
Interesting building the old Tudor Hall. Originally built as HQ for Boulton & Paul of aircraft fame and as you say Humph a nightclub for many years. Left derelict in the nineties and became a favourite squat for drug users. Now converted to luxury flats.

Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Marc
"I think they said that in 1983 when VCR appeared. Cinema is booming....."

It is now, but in the early 80s the majority of town centre cinemas closed due to video.

Fast forward 10 years into the mid 90s and the out of town multiplexes started popping up after the fad of video rental had died off, but the older cinemas had either been bulldozed or turned into gyms etc.

Myself, I wait for films to come out on DVD.

Just listened to a review of "The Last Air Bender" by Boyd and Floyd on radio 5. Sounds easily like the worst film of the year and there have already been some strong contenders in that class
No one has mentioned the tedious adverts and trailers, not to mention a simple blank screen where you're expected to stare at the curtain waiting for the film to start. No wonder people start to fidget.

JH
"No one has mentioned the tedious adverts"

I hope you're not referring to the legendary Pearl & Dean intro. Not been for quite a while.
Marc, that's one of the better parts! Our nearest multiplex does local ads too, before P&D appears. Silent photos of takeaways / garages / double glazing companies that you wouldn't touch with a barge pole :-(

It's supposed to be an enjoyable night out and you sit there as a captive audience wondering when the darned film is going to start.

JH
Light up the rothmans king size, see the flickering beam through the ciggy smoke and enjoy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9nZg7kFHqo&feature=related
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Bellboy
last time i was in a cinema i complained that the national anthem wasnt played at the end and they said they hadnt played it for donkies years
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - VxFan
Rumour has it they don't stop the movie mid way through anymore and serve ice cream either. It's an outrage.
 Cinema Trip- Compensation? - Bellboy
kiora.............
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uTJjDVuYDQ&feature=related

Its too orangy for crows, its just for me and my dawg.
...no longer have an intermission...

Several of the Sean Connery James Bond films had a convenient cliff-hanging moment for an intermission.

I wonder if the director did it on purpose?

Still had the ice-cream girl halfway through in the early to mid 80s at the Gaumont in Doncaster - an art deco landmark that just recently met with the wrecking ball.

Smoking in the bar or on the top deck only.

Ad that I always remember is "Kia-Ora - too orangey for crows"
Have you read "The Anthem Sprinters" by Ray Bradbury?

JH
No, but I've seen "Fahrenheit 451"
>> I hope you're not referring to the legendary Pearl & Dean intro.

"Asteroids" IIRC.
Latest Forum Posts