Non-motoring > TV Blue tint Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 68

TV Blue tint - Ambo
Freshly installed, my new Panasonic Viera 40” TV Model 40DX700B. (LED, HDR, 4K, Ultra HD, Smart, Freeview Play, Built in Wi-Fi.)

This performs well except that there is a blue tint of varying intensity over Freeview, Freesat (direct or recording) and disks (the worst). I have not yet connected to Wi-Fi. I have tried adjusting the factory settings for Colour, Tint, Colour Temperature, Vivid Colour and Colour Remaster - all to no effect. Before I contract Panasonic or the supplier, can anyone suggest how to correct this problem please?
 TV Blue tint - legacylad
Take out your blue tinted contact lenses?
You lothario you....
 TV Blue tint - R.P.
Loose connection, poor wire in HDMI or Sat connections ?
 TV Blue tint - Ted

I had a very pink tint when trying to play discs on the lounge telly. Likewise when I tried on my vcr/dvd machine on my desk upstairs.

In both cases jiggling the scart leads and making sure they were squarely engaged did the trick.

If you use scarts, of course.
 TV Blue tint - smokie
Sounds like it's across more than one source so unlikely to be a loose external connection.

When you say the colour settings have no effect, do you mean they have no effect at all or you can't resolve the issue with them?

Could be a faulty telly...fairly rare event these day I think but my daughter had a faulty one last year. There is probably a helpline, worth calling them I'd say.
 TV Blue tint - Ambo
They have an effect but don't get rid of the overall blue tint. The connections are sound.
 TV Blue tint - Pezzer
There isnt a protective clear film still over the screen is there ?
 TV Blue tint - Manatee
If you are having the problem when the TV is showing off-air pictures via an aerial direct to the TV, it sounds like the TV. On the other hand if the aerial goes into some other device then that or the subsequent connections cold be at fault

Try the aerial direct into the TV, with the TV at the default settings.

There aren't any SCART leads involved are there? They commonly cause this sort of thing.
 TV Blue tint - Ambo
There is no blue protective foil. The aerial goes direct into the TV. The Blu Ray/DVD player and the Freesat PVR use HDMI connections.
 TV Blue tint - Stuartli
Try the THX Certified Mode display mode - I use it on my Freeview/Freesat HD 42in Panasonic and even after over six years' use the displays in both SD and HD are true to life, whether watching a Freeview or Freesat channel or Panasonic Blu-ray player.
 TV Blue tint - Dog
Are but, you're telly is a plasma, same as mine. Rambo's recently-acquired tele is LED/LCD which has some poor reviews on Amazon.

MY new 24" LED/LCD LG monitor is a tad blue in custom mode, even on the odd days when I'm not watching blue films, so I select the reader mode which calms it down somewhat.

Dunno what I'd buy to replace my Pana Plasma if it died, OLED I suppose?
 TV Blue tint - Manatee
Most of the reviews are positive. It's probably faulty.

However I don't see the point of 4k TVs. I'm sure there is one.
 TV Blue tint - Stuartli
>> However I don't see the point of 4k TVs. I'm sure there is one.>>

They said the same about the cotton machines, trains, cars, the World Wide Web and many other things so familiar in our daily lives, but eventually realisation crept in....:-)
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
There's not much point in 4K TVs until you have a source of 4K video, e.g. Bluray 4K player. But that content will come. But on smaller sets you'll not notice the extra detail but will benefit more from HDR video.
 TV Blue tint - R.P.
Amazon Prime Video have some 4k content.
 TV Blue tint - Manatee
I'm not a Luddite, I know there will be a point in time at least for bigger screens. But even Sony for example has not even launched its Ultra HD Blue Ray player yet,you'll need a lot of bandwidth to stream it, and I think the resolution of my eyes is about the same as my 43" HDTV - ambo's TV is a 40" so he probably isn't getting any benefit at all for the extra £100-£200.

I had a Sony phone with a 4k screen for a while; absolutely no question that was a gimmick.
 TV Blue tint - CGNorwich
They said the same about the cotton machines, trains, cars, the World Wide Web and many other things so familiar in our daily lives, but eventually realisation crept in....:-)

But there again there were steam cars, Betamax 3D hovercraft, Sinclair C5s, Amstrad Emailer telephones and 3D TV where again realisation also crept in.

;-)
 TV Blue tint - Dulwich Estate II
This is only the start.

Apparently, since Teresa May became Prime Minister, more and more things will be getting a Blue Tint.
 TV Blue tint - Stuartli
>> Apparently, since Teresa May became Prime Minister, more and more things will be getting a Blue Tint.>>

...and she'll be getting an aitch.....!!
 TV Blue tint - BrianByPass
>> >> Apparently, since Teresa May became Prime Minister, more and more things will be getting
>> a Blue Tint.>>
>>
>> ...and she'll be getting an aitch.....!!
>>

blue, and with an itch that needs scratching maybe.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/28/might-have-distinguishing-characteristics-happened-theresa/
what happened when Theresa May met real Teresa May

or
www.thesun.co.uk/news/2722238/
Teresa May is a fan of the colour blue just like her Tory leader namesake
(warning - NSFW nor for easily offended souls)

Last edited by: BrianByPass on Wed 1 Feb 17 at 17:36
 TV Blue tint - Ambo
I got sick of the affair and exchanged it for a Samsung 40K5500 40"LED, to be delivered next week. The last stroke was when it came up with a message I had never seen in several decades of TV watching. Low right, it said "Auto Standby in 3 min. Press OK to continue watching", which I did. The same message with 2 min. then appeared, followed by 1 min., when the set simply switched itself off.

Starting up again I got "The power was last turned off by Auto Standby". The recording in progress was not affected.
 TV Blue tint - commerdriver
>> I got sick of the affair and exchanged it for a Samsung 40K5500 40"LED, to
>> be delivered next week. The last stroke was when it came up with a message
>> I had never seen in several decades of TV watching. Low right, it said "Auto
>> Standby in 3 min. Press OK to continue watching", which I did. The same message
>> with 2 min. then appeared, followed by 1 min., when the set simply switched itself
>> off.
>>
>> Starting up again I got "The power was last turned off by Auto Standby". The
>> recording in progress was not affected.
>>
Younger son's multi box setup used to display the same message which caused Mrs CD problems a few times while babysitting small grandson. Finding the correct remote in time to prevent interruption of Fireman Sam or whatever took a little bit of learning.
 TV Blue tint - Manatee
Probably a good idea to send back the Panasonic, sounded to me as if it was faulty.

Don't expect too much of the smart features. Every smart TV I've seen has been painfully slow. I believe you have a firestick anyway, much quicker and easier to use that for Amazon video and iPlayer.

I see the Samsung has three HDMIs too, which is becoming a rarity.
 TV Blue tint - spamcan61

>> Don't expect too much of the smart features. Every smart TV I've seen has been
>> painfully slow.
>>
Looks like I'll be needing a new TV soon (apparently current one has started randomly switching off), not that I watch it anyway, but it's becoming difficult to buy a new TV without (not very) smart features. I really don't want a slow telly that requires me to agree to Google's EULA just to use the blinking thing.
 TV Blue tint - Manatee

>> Looks like I'll be needing a new TV soon (apparently current one has started
>> randomly switching off), not that I watch it anyway, but it's becoming difficult to buy
>> a new TV without (not very) smart features. I really don't want a slow telly
>> that requires me to agree to Google's EULA just to use the blinking thing.

The smart features on mine are very much a bolt on (2015 Sony) and I pretty well ignore them now, having the firestick which is much faster and covers the apps I use (easy to download iPlayer and the other catch up services). Standard TV functions are fine.

Other than watching TV off air I also use the USB recording facility (2TB HDD attached) which works well, I don't bother with the Smart/internet stuff. The browser is virtually unuseable and the apps interface is poor.

That said, current Sonys are Android based...
 TV Blue tint - VxFan
>> Looks like I'll be needing a new TV soon (apparently current one has started
>> randomly switching off),

Chances are a couple of capacitors on the power supply PCB are failing. A common fault with a lot of these flat screen TVs after a few years. Easily rectified for around a fiver if you're a dab hand with a soldering iron.
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
And this is where you could make a few quid for little effort. Not everyone is a DAB hand with a soldering iron :-)
 TV Blue tint - VxFan
>> And this is where you could make a few quid for little effort. Not everyone is a DAB hand with a soldering iron :-)

No money to be made in 2nd hand TVs unfortunately, else I would, and in this throw away society we now live in, people won't pay for repairs either. I used to repair VCR's and the like for people, but when a new VCR price came down to £70 (or less), it wasn't cost effective to repair them when worn parts like drive belts and motors cost £20 to £30. However, if it's for yourself then quite often it is worth it.

Plus a failed TV gives people the excuse to upgrade to a newer model with more features. The only people I've generally found who don't like updating their TV are older people who just want a basic TV, and not a complicated thing with too many buttons on the remote. All they want is a simple goggle box, not twitter, you-tube, iPlayer, etc.

TV Blue tint - Old Navy
>> Chances are a couple of capacitors on the power supply PCB are failing. A common
>> fault with a lot of these flat screen TVs after a few years. Easily rectified
>> for around a fiver if you're a dab hand with a soldering iron.
>>

That has happened twice to our few year old kitchen tv. The local tv repair shop changed one of the diodes, only for it to die a few months later. I removed the power board, returned to the tv guy, who replaced both of them with upgraded diodes as the other one had gone (foc). :-)

edit,

I now know that they are schottky diodes.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 3 Feb 17 at 08:07
 TV Blue tint - Dog
If that's no better you'd better give Sony a try ambo ;)
 TV Blue tint - Crankcase
In laws wanted "some way to get the iplayer on the tv because their Freesat box has stopped supporting it" just before Christmas.

Their old tv was a Panasonic CRT that I handed down to them in 2008, having bought that myself in 2001, so it did pretty well.

We went on to the John Lewis website and picked a cheap "smart" Viera.

They also had the "switching off in ten...five..." game - but it was just a menu setting, changed in two seconds.

No blue tint.

The "smart" bit is fine - press Apps on the handset, then pick iplayer, and it's up and running in perhaps 30 seconds from thinking about wanting it. Similar with Youtube/Netflix etc.

It connected to their wifi first time. Even their old Hudl will talk to it and cast photos onto the tv with a couple of clicks at both ends.

I've had Vieras for years, recommended this one, and so far, touch wood, all has been well.

So I think ambo was a bit unlucky.
>> "Auto
>> Standby in 3 min. Press OK to continue watching", which I did. The same message
>> with 2 min. then appeared, followed by 1 min., when the set simply switched itself
>> off.
>>

It's a power saving feature which is, to the best of my knowledge, now common in most if not all new TVs.

You need to use the correct remote (i.e. the one that controls the TV, and not any of your other input devices) to press OK to cancel the standby. Settings for power save should be in the TV settings menu.

TV Blue tint - Ambo
Thanks for that explanation. I was trying to deal with it via my Humax remote.
 TV Blue tint - smokie
I've a feeling it's mandatory rather than just common. I clear mine (LG telly) by changing the volume up and down a notch. It's just looking to make sure there is someone watching it.
 TV Blue tint - Crankcase
A google implies that LG have hidden away the "off" setting for this feature in the installation menu, as well as other "interesting but get it wrong and it might get expensive" settings.

Here's a page (no idea about its worth for your model, smokie) about how to access said menu:

www.wikihow.com/Display-the-Secret-Menu-in-LG-TVs

TV Blue tint - CGNorwich
A bit late now but:

When using a Panasonic television system, it is possible to occasionally run into color problems, where incorrect shading and color temperature appears on the screen. This is typically either a green, red or blue shade. If you have a blue haze on the Panasonic television screen, there are a few options available to go about correcting the problem--all of which you can perform at home.

Power on the Panasonic television system and press the "Menu" button.

Select "Picture," then scroll down the list of options until you reach "Color." Make sure this setting is at "50." You also want the "Tint" left at "G50/R50." If one or the other is higher, the color is thrown off.

Scroll down further on the screen and choose "Temperature." Make sure the color temperature is "Normal" instead of "Cool," which gives the TV a blue haze.

Select "OK" to accept your changes and press "Menu" to exit." The screen's color is now correct.

From eHow
 TV Blue tint - Ambo
Thanks CG but those are the factory settings (although G50/R50 appears as 0,
with + or - 0) and I have been round them (and others) several times, to no avail.

To reply to an earlier posting, there is no THX Certified Display setting.

Here's to a blue weekend.
 TV Blue tint - Stuartli
>>To reply to an earlier posting, there is no THX Certified Display setting.>>

It's listed in the specifications, which is why I suggested it!

>> To reply to an earlier posting, there is no THX Certified Display setting.
>>

Model TX40DX700B
Operating Instructions 19/02/2016 TQB0E2594U-E.pdf
mentions THX eighteen times - from page 68 onwards.
 TV Blue tint - Ambo
I was looking for it under Picture via remote. What publication do you refer to please?
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
Have you looked in the instructions that came with the TV. These are clearly referring to a PDF version of the operating instructions for that model of TV.

www.panasonic.eu/downloads/en_GB/popup.html

Pop the model number in there and you can download a copy.
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
1. Display the menu with MENU.
2. Select Picture > Viewing Mode and press OK to access.
3. Select the mode and press OK to set.

Viewing Mode:(Dynamic / Normal / Cinema / THX Cinema / THX Bright Room / True Cinema / Custom / Professional1 / Professional2)
 TV Blue tint - smokie
I was just in Costco marvelling at the 60"+ TVs, in particular a £3.6k LD which was absolutely stunning (though I wish they would show some real stuff not just cartoons on demo sets in store). Anyway one out of about 6 on one shelf was noticeably less red than the rest, and it looked altogether more natural to me. Maybe a different employee had set it up. Just a matter of preferences I suppose.

EDIT This post was an observation, I wasn't suggesting the OPs blueness was not a fault, think I may have been the first to suggest it was...
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 3 Feb 17 at 15:46
 TV Blue tint - VxFan
>> Anyway one out of about 6 on one shelf was noticeably less red than the rest, and it looked altogether more natural to me. Maybe a different employee had set it up. Just a matter of preferences I suppose.

It used to be the case that some flatscreen TVs had a "demo" mode specifically for shops to use to enhance the picture to make it look better than it actually was, i.e. a false selling point. Not sure if they still do that now though.

Worth asking the salesman whether it is in demo mode or not though. It might make him sit up and think you know what you're on about and can't have the wool pulled over your eyes.
 TV Blue tint - martin aston
"Demo mode"........were they designed by VW?
 TV Blue tint - Ambo
I tried out Viewing Mode at the start, rtj. It gives 5 different light levels (Dynamic/Normal/Cinema/True Cinema/Custom) but doesn't affect the colour balance.
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
But you were asking where the others got reference to THX from. For your model TV the online user manual mentions THX modes under that setting. Yours doesn't have them.

It does sound like there is a fault with the TV to me.
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
A quote from a review of this TV:

However, black levels don't completely convince on the 40DX700. Its edge LED-illumination means that gloomy scenes can look a little blue around the edges, with some slightly brighter patches around a darker centre section.
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
At least this Panasonic does not flicker and turn off like the new LG 5G monitor which does not like being near a WiFi hotspot.

TV Blue tint - Ambo

>>However, black levels don't completely convince on the 40DX700. Its edge LED-illumination means that gloomy scenes can look a little blue around the edges, with some slightly brighter patches around a darker centre section.

Good blacks are supposed to be one of its strengths. They are available, as can be seen from the deep black background on which subtitles are displayed. However the blacks in the scenes behind this become dark grey at best.

Another strange thing I had never experienced before I got this set: switching channels can result momentarily in a deep green screen. This green is also sometimes seen taking over large areas of the blue-tinted background.
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
If you want really good blacks then go for a OLED TV.

It seems your TV has edge illumination using LEDs. More expensive LCD TVs with LED backlighting tend to have more LEDs distributed behind the screen. But you're then always going to have some bleeding of light through.

LCD has always had it's weakness and that's why people liked Plasma. But that's where OLED comes in as a good replacement for Plasma.

I assume you're still going to replace this Panasonic LCD TV for another make/model?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 6 Feb 17 at 16:37
 TV Blue tint - smokie
2 Feb 13:12 "I got sick of the affair and exchanged it for a Samsung 40K5500 40"LED, to be delivered next week"
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
I remember he said that - but then continued to complain about how poor the image is on this. I hope his replacement LCD TV is better and that the LED illumination does not cause similar problems.

My next TV I think will be a OLED one. But the old Panasonic from 2008 is going strong and doesn't need replacing. It's inefficient in it's use of electric because it uses fluorescent tubes for it's backlights but at least they are then behind the LCD panel and the light is nicely diffused.
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
Does anyone else think TV manufacturers are trying to mislead people into thinking the screen on LED backlit TVs is different to the ones that came before, i.e. fluorescent tubes. LED is a reference to the backlighting and not the LCD panels. And not all panels are equal either - plenty of different types of LCD panels. I prefer IPS LCD because of the viewing angles amongst other differences.

Maybe they want people to mix up LED backlighting and OLED panels?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 6 Feb 17 at 17:01
 TV Blue tint - Old Navy
My Sony tv has some form of active led backlight, apparently it varies the intensity of the illumination for light and dark areas of the picture. Seems to work for my almost HD eyesight.
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
Your Sony is therefore not using a cheaper solution for LED based backlighting, namely edge lit.

There will be a matrix of LEDs responsible for backlighting specific areas in your model of TV. So one area that has to be brightly lit does not impact another that's meant to be dark.

Obviously a lot easier to have some LEDs at the edge and some plastic film to act as a diffuser to backlight the entire screen.

At the end of the day LED or CCFL backlit LCD panels will not perform as well as an OLED panel. Remember each pixel of an OLED panel emits it's own light. These OLED panels do not need any backlighting. But they cost more.
 TV Blue tint - spamcan61
>>
>> Maybe they want people to mix up LED backlighting and OLED panels?
>>
Yes, LED TVs were pushed like it was some fantastic new technology, rather than just same old panels with a different backlighting method.
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
And for LCD panels there's quite a few types of panel with some better than others. One of the better ones is IPS (In Plane Switching). But there's also:

TN - twisted nematic (TN) Alignment
PVA - Patterned Vertical Alignment
PLS - Plane to Line Switching (variant of IPS)

They all have pros and cons. IPS refresh rates are lower. TN is cheapest.
 TV Blue tint - Manatee
I don't think edge lit has to mean bad. I can't fault our Sony and the blacks look pretty black to me. Had it a couple of years now. It's not high-end, I think I paid about £450 for it.

www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl42w705b-201402233639.htm

I am aware of course that seeing two different screens side by side can show 'defects' that are unnoticeable otherwise.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 6 Feb 17 at 21:34
 TV Blue tint - Stuartli
You still can't beat a Panasonic (at one time Pioneer) plasma set although, sadly, Panasonic models are no longer with us....:-( :-(
 TV Blue tint - rtj70
I agree. Plasma sets were excellent. Blacks are black. And we know that's because the cells in the plasma panel emit the light. Which is why OLED is a good replacement. Different technology but create the image with a similar approach.

I remember 32" Plasma screens with 1024x766 resolution costing £10k! A nice 55" OLED screen is a lot less. Although the old Plasma and old style LCD back-lit TVs had room for decent speakers :-)

Trouble is for me there's not OLED screen small enough for the space I want to put it.
 TV Blue tint - Dog
>> Plasma sets were excellent

Um, they still are, for some of us ;)
 TV Blue tint - Ambo
I did say I was going to change and the earliest swop date I could get was tomorrow, which is why I am still using the Panasonic. I have however changed my mid about the replacement, which will now be a Samsung UE40KU6400U.
 TV Blue tint - Dog
Good reviews: www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE40KU6400-40-inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01G3UIBU6
 TV Blue tint - VxFan
>> Plasma sets were excellent.

But consume vast amounts of electricity.
 TV Blue tint - R.P.
Yeah but you know...keeps the industry going.
 TV Blue tint - Stuartli
>> >> Plasma sets were excellent.

But consume vast amounts of electricity.>>

My seven-year-old 42in Panasonic plasma (which features both Freesat and Freeview HD tuners) is rated at 290 watts and, on Stand By, just 0.4 watts..!! It is probably far less costly to run than earlier CRT tube sets owned, even though I watch BBC and Sky rolling news channels for much of the day.

Even today both the SD and HD display qualities are first class and, at the moment, I have no plans whatsoever to change it.
 TV Blue tint - Manatee
>> >> >> Plasma sets were excellent.
>>
>> But consume vast amounts of electricity.>>
>>
>> My seven-year-old 42in Panasonic plasma (which features both Freesat and Freeview HD tuners) is rated
>> at 290 watts

Helps keep the room warm anyway. Our electric towel rail is only 160W.
 TV Blue tint - Stuartli
>>Helps keep the room warm anyway. Our electric towel rail is only 160W.>>

That will be the maximum watts usage. I've just turned the Panasonic off and its heat output is almost imperceptible after being on for most of the evening, so your conclusion
is not correct....:-)
Latest Forum Posts