Non-motoring > Chilean wildfires Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 5

Chilean wildfires - MD
The first I've heard of this this morning. Has anyone heard from Mark?
 Chilean wildfires - hjd
There doesn't seem to have been much reporting.
I was with a friend, whose family live near Temuco, on Wednesday night and her family were very worried. Firemen had died as well as the damage caused by the fire. Everything is very dry and it's the heat of summer so the fires have nothing to stop the spread.
Local government had told central government it was an emergency and they needed help, but central government were refusing to send help or money. Guess that may have changed now.
 Chilean wildfires - MD
Cheers HJ.
 Chilean wildfires - No FM2R
I've just come back from there - mostly near Pichilemu and Litueche - which is where the main fires are.

Its devastating.

www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2017/jan/25/chile-wildfire-worst-ever-in-pictures?CMP=share_btn_fb

www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/25/chile-fire-firefighting-international-help

Chile has a volunteer fire brigade. The Military is not permitted to help by law (a reaction to an earlier coup).

The air is awful, thick with smoke. You can't see the sun most of the time, its blacked out by smoke. Although today was a little better.

We have been delivering food, water and other supplies to the firemen. Everybody is helping where they can.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 27 Jan 17 at 23:39
 Chilean wildfires - zippy
Good to hear that you and your family are safe!

Sounds like a dreadful situation and not long after the earthquakes.
 Chilean wildfires - henry k
>> Good to hear that you and your family are safe!
>>
Seconded

Huge supertanker planes from the US, Russia and Brazil have been deployed to fight forest fires in Chile.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/38819951

I knew Tristars had been converted was not aware 747s have been adapted/converted for this role.
From a quick search. There was a 747-100, now retired
www.youtube.com/watch?v=inNklNCQzfs

but this is the 747-400 seen in Chile.
www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-747-400-global-supertanker-gets-ready-for-423458/
Latest Forum Posts