Non-motoring > Maltese citizenship Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 17

Maltese citizenship - Crankcase
Was talking to my now very aged mother the other day. I was always aware she was born of British parents in Malta, but somehow thought they were in transit (from India to England) - now turns out she was born and lived there for a year before coming to England.

Out of idle curiosity, largely because of the other discussions on here about EU citizens and so on, I just google to discover that:

She is automatically considered a citizen of Malta, being born there long before 1964, and

as a direct descendant, apparently I could apply to become a citizen of Malta too.

Can anyone think of any advantage in doing such a thing, not that I'm really contemplating it! I only just discovered it was even possible. Perhaps I could have dual citizenship, for some arcane reason I can't imagine?

Maltese citizenship - riddler
Thinking about applying for dual citizenship/nationality as well. This could be a major advantage after/if Brexit happens especially with the threat of having to pay fees to enert certain countries which was mentioned after the referendum. Could use the EU channel by virtue of carrying two passports.
 Maltese citizenship - Duncan
>> Could use the EU channel by virtue of carrying>> two passports.
>>

Shirley - the EU channel will be abolished when we leave, won't it?
 Maltese citizenship - rtj70
>> Shirley - the EU channel will be abolished when we leave, won't it?

I'd hope it was. There'll be a UK and non-UK channel.
 Maltese citizenship - CGNorwich
Depending on the outcome of negotiations there might be all sorts of benefits of having EU citizenship. If I were you I would be applying tomorrow. Sadly all my ancestors are all as English as can be.
Hmm. S'a point, that. Hmm again.
 Maltese citizenship - R.P.
Dual would be the way to go. I'm too far detached from my Irish paternal ancestors otherwise I'd be off like a shot to the Embassy
 Maltese citizenship - Dog
The sire of my Beauceron is French so maybe I could be in with a chance??
 Maltese citizenship - Cliff Pope
>> I'm too far detached from my Irish paternal
>> ancestors otherwise I'd be off like a shot to the Embassy
>>

My mother could have claimed Irish nationality, and even toyed with the idea once just for fun. Too late now.

It would have been ironic though. The original emigrant fled Ireland having stolen the Peter's Pence box from the local church and became a protestant. He always hated the Irish. He ended his days drunk in a Liverpool dock.
 Maltese citizenship - Pat
>>He ended his days drunk in a Liverpool dock<<

I love a black sheep of the family!

I'm trying very hard to be ours when I'm no longer here:)

Pat
 Maltese citizenship - Roger.
I was born in Malta, but I think that one's parent needs to have been Maltese( or born there) too, to claim citizenship.
I think you're probably right Roger, now I've looked a bit harder, but my trivial first googling took me initially to this site

livinginmalta.com/miscellaneuos/maltese-citizenship/

and this slightly strangely structured paragraph, first and last sentences, seemed to imply what I was banging on about:

If you are a child who was born before 21st September 1964 and who was born in Malta automatically becomes a citizen of Malta. If you are a child that was born between 21st September 1964 and before 1st August 1989 outside of Malta to Maltese parents, then you automatically become a Maltese citizen in a dual capacity. A direct descendant or subsequent generation person can also apply for dual citizenship, in the case of a minor, the person who is the legal guardian will have to submit the application for citizenship.
 Maltese citizenship - R.P.
...."and became a Protestant...!"
 Maltese citizenship - RattleandSmoke
There is talk of offering UK citizens the choice of becoming an EU citizen after we leave. I personally can't see it happening but personally I feel and a lot of others feel very strongly that we were born a citizen of the European Union and that is about to be taken away from us :(.

This is an older thread but it has been in the news again recently but there are new news items on it

www.independent.co.uk/voices/eu-brexit-associate-citizenship-member-states-theresa-may-freedom-of-movement-a7415936.html
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 24 Jan 17 at 20:38
 Maltese citizenship - Ted
> I feel and a lot
>> of others feel very strongly that we were born a citizen of the European Union

A lot on here were born citizens of the British Empire and feel that was taken away from us before you were born, Ratushka .
Citizens, Ted? Subjects, surely?

Maltese citizenship - Cliff Pope

>>
>> A lot on here were born citizens of the British Empire and feel that was
>> taken away from us before you were born, Ratushka .
>

My first father in law was born a subject of the Habsburg empire and a citizen of Hungary.
Then he became a Czechoslovakian. Then briefly Hungarian again. He became technically French for a few months to join the Foreign Legion, then finally British when he came to England and joined the army.

If he hadn't escaped the nazis but had stayed put and survived he would have become Russian and then Ukrainian. A cousin did escape eastwards and ended as a colonel in the Red army.

Maltese citizenship - Haywain
"Can anyone think of any advantage in doing such a thing"

You'll be eligible to play for the Maltese football team ;-)
Latest Forum Posts