Non-motoring > Feeling safe? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 55

Feeling safe? - Crankcase
On the back of a local news report saying a bit of Cambridge (not my bit) has rocketed up to being the crime capital of the world (ie six more claims than three years ago or something), they pointed to the link below. So you can see your chances, if you fancy them.

www.moneysupermarket.com/home-insurance/burglary-hotspots/

Mine says:

Houses in your postcode district have a 2.13% chance of being burgled.

Out of the 2,195 UK postcode areas, it is the 336th most likely to put in a home insurance claim for burglary
 Feeling safe? - Dog
"Houses in your postcode district, have a 0.277% chance of being burgled.

Out of the 2,195 UK postcode areas, it is the 1,983rd most likely to put in a home insurance claim for burglary"

I told yew sheep are thick when it comes to baaglary.
 Feeling safe? - Bromptonaut
Ours is 1.275%/928th.

NN7 covers a half donut round the south of Northampton. Mostly dormitory villages for town and wider commute area bounded by London, Birmingham, Oxford and Cambridge. Slightly surprisingly rate is much lower in Northern half of donut, NN6
 Feeling safe? - Cliff Pope
No data for our postcode.
That is probably because there are only 4 houses spread over several miles, and none has been burgled.
 Feeling safe? - CGNorwich
Not far behind you Dog at 1,875th here in suburban Norwich with a 0.419% chance. That's quite surprising really considering the difference int the type of areas.
Crikey. I thought ours was quite good.

I shall have to move. Actually, was perusing Rightmove last night, funnily enough.
 Feeling safe? - Dog
Check out Lundy Island guvnor, knowlmean ;)
>> Check out Lundy Island guvnor, knowlmean ;)

I'd quite like to do that Quo-like thing, Dog, but alas, swakb would make practical noises about being in walking distance of a surgery, tearoom, hat shop and haberdashery, not in that order.

Looked at Lincolnshire (lots of bang for buck in the Wolds), Somerset (for the like totally farout Glastonbury vibe, man), Devon (for nostalgia, used to live there) and Cornwall (for the bracing sea grockles) so far.

I like the Linconshire Wolds. A great waling area Louth is an atractive town with some beautiful Georgian buildings (nice haberdashers too:-) and you do as you say get an awful lot for your money. Long way from everywhere else though!
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 24 Jan 17 at 14:16
We like Louth a lot. And the Woldy bits are indeed great walking, with some pretty villages too, and some coast of sorts if you want it on the doorstep too.

I just bet in a decade it will get trendy and expensive round there. Good time to buy perhaps.
 Feeling safe? - sooty123
Around the wolds is (locally) expensive further south it's a bit cheaper. Horncastle is on the edge of the wolds and is a nice small town and I would think cheaper.
Indeed sooty.

By comparison, there's this near me. 400k.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64050311.html

And then there's this not near me. 230k.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55141757.html

Neither would be on my list, but shows the prices up there are a bit...different.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 24 Jan 17 at 18:23
 Feeling safe? - sooty123
The second one is obviously more familiar pricewise, the first one wow. Local to me that might make 100k, which isn't a million miles from Horncastle. I think if i had 400k i think I'd struggle to spend it on a house in my village, I'd have to move. Certainly is different, as you say.
 Feeling safe? - sooty123
Just had a look, a grand total of two properties at the price or higher within a 5 mile radius.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 24 Jan 17 at 18:40
I've just decided we're moving to the second one, simply because the village down the road has the best name ever. Claxby Pluckacre. I love England.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 24 Jan 17 at 18:43
 Feeling safe? - rtj70
The second one is cheap as chips isn't it. What a lot of house for the money. You won't get a two bed property near me for that.

So is it is a poor area for jobs, amenities? Why so cheap?
look at a map. No big cities anywhere near. Takes forever to get anywhere. No jobs.
 Feeling safe? - Dog
>>No big cities anywhere near. Takes forever to get anywhere. No jobs.

Right up my street then; I'll check it out later when I've finished listening to Nige.

>> Right up my street then; I'll check it out later when I've finished listening to
>> Nige.

Could sell this place, clear the mortgage, and live in a big house in the country.

But it's just too remote from anything either Mrs B or me need to keep fulfilled, never mind employed.
 Feeling safe? - Dog
>> it's just too remote from anything either Mrs B or me need to keep fulfilled, never mind employed.

I suppose that's the good thing about living here - far from the madding crowd, with only one neighb + a couple of farms nearby, but we can be in town (St Austell) within 10 mins by car. No bus service though, unless y'all want to walk 1 mile down a winding lane without pavements!

>>
>> But it's just too remote from anything either Mrs B or me need to keep
>> fulfilled, never mind employed.
>>

7 minutes by car from Horncastle (nice town) where it looks as if not only is there going to be a folk quartet in the village hall, there may also have been a recent panto at the theatre.

Sounds fine to me.

I'm only half joking. For us, about to retire, and pretty self sufficient with no interest in the bright lights, that part of the world could work for us. Still thinking about Louth. If it has a library we're sorted.
Horncastlle is a centre of the antique trade and stuffed with antique shops and second hand furniture places. The Old Coop down by the Admiral Rodney hotel is home to the biggest collection of assorted junk you have ever seen. It's like visiting one of those hoarder's houses you see on TV where you literally have to climb across stuff. The yard is full of China and glass stuff left out in all weathers and usually full of rainwater. Found a rather nice coffee pot in there for 50p

Louth is a bigger town and because of its isolation has most of the facilities you would require. The old part of town is very fine and it has a lovely walk through a park area by the river. The town is famous for its range of independent shops . Plenty of real shops selling useful things including what I believe is the oldest independent department store in the country. It's a bit like Grace Brothers in Are You Being Served

Both towns are liable to flooding. Last time I stayed in Louth I shared my hotel with a group of elderly ladies who lived in a terrace down by the river which had been flooded. They had been put up in the hotel by their insurers and were really rather enjoying their stay. One lady told me she was 82 and had never stayed in a hotel before! Really like the idea of being waited on

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 24 Jan 17 at 21:29
 Feeling safe? - Fullchat
And Louth is just a stones throw away from Cadwell Park :))
 Feeling safe? - Dog
Thems were in the far east [of Engerland] yesterday; Woolley Moor and Crich in the shire of Derby + Pleasley Vale in Dodger's county:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08c72jz/escape-to-the-country-series-17-45-minute-versions-30-east-midlands
 Feeling safe? - sooty123
So is it is a poor area for jobs, amenities? Why so cheap?
>>

It's not so much that there aren't jobs its more that there aren't lots of big employers paying high salaries. Most people work in low pay jobs in agriculture or small family firms etc. On the flip side of course you can get a decent semi in a village for £120k easily. So £250k for that second house might seem cheap living in the south but it's well out of the reach of many living in the area.
Transport links are poor, i think lincs is the largest county without a motorway, as others have said you have to get used to it taking a long time to get anywhere, for example when roads get closed the diversions are often miles and miles.
 Feeling safe? - Dog
I was looking at property in the Gwynedd yesterday, well, on Rightmove anyway. Some half-decent places with land to be had for little money, compared to Cornwall that is. Don't know that I could live in Wales though - bit like the Cornish only worse!

My Sister has bought a nice house in Wellington, after selling up in E.Dulwich. I like Somerset, and Dorset, Devon, Wiltshire etc. People are people the world over really; most are good, a few are bad, and some are damn right Pugugly.
 Feeling safe? - Dog
Even in my nearest town there is only a 0.13% chance of being burgled. Surprising really, knowing St Austell.!

The UK is a pretty safe place by and large and the perception of crime is far greater than it really is.
Burglary is in decline I believe. Breaking into someone's house to nick their flat screen TV is very much yesterday's crime. Not enough reward and too much risk of getting caught. Modern crime like the reat of the world has gone digital and taken to the internet.
 Feeling safe? - Dutchie
We've had a more than usual burglaries in our village.Sheds where mainly targeted.

We have a police station which is a empty building. Very few patrols.I haven't seen a copper on foot for years here.Not that it would make that much difference me thinks but a police presents would help.

Neighbourhood watch and keep a eye on each other property is one answer.I do feel safe but I am very vigilant.
 Feeling safe? - Ted

HaHa...I win ! 4.5% 15th worst.

I knew we had something special in M21 !
 Feeling safe? - movilogo
>> Breaking into someone's house to nick their flat screen TV is very much yesterday's crime

Roughly there are 2 types of burglars

1. Drug addict type - will break in and take anything include £1 coins, ipad etc.
2. Gang - will come for specific items only

Few weeks back my friend's house in East London (which is burglary ho tspot) was burgled by a gang who came with metal detectors and stole gold jewelries. Didn't touch electronics gadgets.
 Feeling safe? - Pat
Here in Fenland I have a 0.192% chance of being burgled.

Out of the 2,195 UK postcode areas, it is the 2,049th most likely to put in a home insurance claim for burglary:)

Pat
Lord, Pat, I should pop five minutes up the road for a cuppa and feel really safe.

Mind you, if I did no doubt some scoundrel would make off with my gnomes while I was out.
 Feeling safe? - Pat
Ahhh but, that's what happens when you live on the very edge of a village down the road which leads to nowhere apart from a field!

I love it:)

When I first moved to the Fen from Leicestershire I missed the rolling hills, the sense of humour and my many friends who were from a different country to me (I've been very tactful there!)

I went back 'home' last weekend to meet family and still miss it but given a straight choice I don't think I would go back if I could.

Ian, coming from London and North Kent, absolutely loves the big sky and wide open spaces and I have to say I'm getting a fondness for the Fenland Folk after 35 years of getting to know them!

We're still not locals though, just yet.

Pat
Just curious Pat. You always use "the Fen" in the singular to describe the are you live. Is that a local usage as I have always used the plural i.e the Fens to describe the area, or am I just wrong.
 Feeling safe? - Pat
I don't think there really is any right or wrong usage CG, but locally it's known as The Fen.

Perhaps living just outside of the area, as you do, means you don't get to use the local dialect!

Now, the locals here would say you live 'over Bill's Mother's':)

Other terms I struggled with when I first moved here were 'beet cart' and 'corn cart' but I find myself using them now.

Pat
They didn't ask you to drive the honey cart then?
 Feeling safe? - Pat
Thankfully not!

Although blood, fish and bonemeal is almost as bad:)

Pat
>> Now, the locals here would say you live 'over Bill's Mother's':)

Wonder who Bill's Mother was? She got about a bit. Mrs B's maternal side use the phrase 'black over Bill's Mother's' to suggest approaching rain cloud. I'd understood it to be Birmingham/Black Country usage. A former colleague who was a Research Assistant at the Quango and hailed from Dudley recognised the phrase too.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37550178
 Feeling safe? - Cliff Pope
>> Just curious Pat. You always use "the Fen" in the singular to describe the are
>> you live. Is that a local usage as I have always used the plural i.e
>> the Fens to describe the area, or am I just wrong.
>>

I assumed that was because people identify with "their" fen, not the Fens in general?

In my childhood we kept a boat on the Cambridgeshire fens, and I was thrilled by stories of the particularly lawless men of Brandon Fen, who waylaid travellers and wrecked boats shooting the old Brandon staunch.
More recently I've discovered an ancestor who invested in Bottisham Fen and Stow Fen and allegedly made a fortune when the land was drained.
Another branch farmed in Whaplode Drove in the Lincolnshire fens when it was drained in the eighteenth century.
 Feeling safe? - Pat
I've spent many a happy hour waiting to load tates, and sugar beet from all of those locations cliff!

In the dark, leaving a remote farm on a dark winters night I'm convinced the lawless men of Brandon Fen are still around.

I never knew it could get so dark until I moved here.

Pat
 Feeling safe? - sooty123
>> Just curious Pat. You always use "the Fen" in the singular to describe the are> you live. Is that a local usage as I have always used the plural i.e> the Fens to describe the area, or am I just wrong.
>>

Depends on which part, I've lived in a couple of different parts of the fens and only heard and called it that.
 Feeling safe? - Mapmaker
Movilogo>>Few weeks back my friend's house in East London (which is burglary ho tspot) was
>>burgled by a gang who came with metal detectors and stole gold jewelries. Didn't touch
>>electronics gadgets.

Friend of Indian extraction by any chance? No doubt the gang well aware of the love of gold in that community.
 Feeling safe? - legacylad
Has Gert Frobe been pulled in for questioning?
 Feeling safe? - Manatee
You'd probably need to did a bit deeper to understand Cambridge's apparently high figures. Daughter lives in CB4 which is a bit worse still at 3.016% Bicycle theft is a way of life in Cambridge and I wonder of that is getting into the figures, although I wouldn't associate it wit "burglary".
Some years ago there was a "Boris bike" type thing in Cambridge, and all the bikes were nicked in about ten minutes.

I was amazed, therefore, to read a week or two ago there is a plan to do it again in town, with a Chinese company providing a whole load of new bikes, and some sort of app, of course, to book/find them, or somesuch tomfoolery.

Due any day now. Which is about as long as they'll last.

Oh hang on, found it. Ofo the love of God.

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/uber-bikes-scheme-coming-cambridge-12467166

Feeling safe? - sooty123
Ours is 1517th safest 0.715%, tbh I'm surprised its so high as it's very much a sleepy place but the postcodes cover a large area including a city which is the best part of an hour away.
 Feeling safe? - mikeyb
1782 and 0.499% chance in my part of North Somerset.

We have a BS postcode so the 10 nearest places are a surprise - the top offender at 301 is one of the most expensive parts of Bristol, the next is also expensive. You have to go 7 down before you get to the notorious council estates
 Feeling safe? - legacylad
No data for my postcode. Not a lot of crime, although I could get soft drugs anytime I wanted. Several true stories about farmers 'self policing' when out of town scroats from E Lancs come a calling. Never in the news mind.
 Feeling safe? - RattleandSmoke
Out of the 2,195 UK postcode areas, it is the 15th most likely to put in a home insurance claim for burglary

I am not really surprised, the area is very central and borders some rough innercity areas but is also considered wealthy. A terraced house here costs upwards of £300,000 and there is a lot of money in the area. Also it is very densely populated so there will be a lot of people living in that post code. I assume the statistics are based on the number of burglaries per postcode (district code e.g SW1) , not the number of burglaries per 100 per postcode district.

The stats are out of date but I remember newspaper at the time saying the post code also has a much higher than average amount of insured properties. These are insurance claims but actual recorded burglaries. It is still a bit worrying though!
 Feeling safe? - rtj70
I lived very near in 1990/1991. We got burgled twice in about two weeks. The first time the first night we got back after Christmas. The next time when they came back for what they didn't manage to take the first time - we were in the second time! They got disturbed.

The same house is now worth between £650k and £700k. I paid £21pw rent as a student!

And I was always suspicious of the landlord's son. We locked any valuables in the attic room (we didn't have access ourselves) over Christmas. Got it unlocked the night we got back and a few hours later we were robbed. Return visit had them lift the pane of glass that had been replaced easier right out - police had told us to ask the landlord not to use putty.
 Feeling safe? - Ted

High Lane, Rob ?
 Feeling safe? - rtj70
Cross Road, opposite the Irish Club car park.
 Feeling safe? - MD
No bug lerys in my post code in the last two years it said..
 Feeling safe? - rtj70
We;ve had a few break-ins to get car keys around here the last few months. Some examples include house keys taken through the letter box to get in at 5am.
Latest Forum Posts